• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

spanish onion and cheese

When I worked at Francis Nicholls in the market area one of the men used to bring
Spanish Onion sandwiches for his lunch on a regular basis. No cheese just the onion
between two pieces of bread spread with butter. He gave me one once to try and it was delicious. Not a very sociable sandwich though!

:angel: I Love cheese and onion (any kind of onions or Shallots), Hate tinned spaghetti, Love the long freshly cooked spaghetti, love Marmite / Vegimite and cheese sandwiches or on toast, Hate Parmesan cheese or Blue vain cheese, Love garlic at any time with just about any food ( I mix crushed garlic into a table spoon of butter or marge and spread my bread with it or my meat steak).

Pom :angel:

I don't like marmite but love bovril and cheese sandwiches. It all started with school lunch boxes..... cheese and onion, just cheese, cheese and bovril loverly couldn't get enough :smitten: but then once a week my mum thought it would be good to pack me off with ready made jam and banana sandwiches :( by lunch time after rattling round the box for a few hours :-X no way.

Gizmo

Gizmo, thats my way of likeing, cheese and marmite(not bovril), or marmite and crisp sandwich, yummy,cheese and onion sarnie, yummy, and it has to be cheese/onion/potato pie with smoked bacon. :p
:flower: :cat:

A friend of a friend crumbles oxo cubes over thier meals. Even when invited out to dinner, they will have a cube in thier pocket.

YUKKK.

When I started work we would all take a packed lunch and eat it in the office, mine was always cheddar and HP sauce. O0

When I used to pull coffees at the 'La Boheme", a bloke used to come in every night, order a lemon tea and he would take out of his pocket, a plastic bag with a spanish onion in it and....wait for it......SUGAR!! He would then sit and eat the onion like an apple and keep on dipping it in the sugar. When I asked him about his unusual habit, he told me that he had been doing it for years and had never had a cold since he started. (I don't think anyone would get close enough to give him one). He swore by it though and said that he used to catch every cold that was going around, but no more.
I remember when we used to go horse riding up at Clent, and when we had finished, we would go into the pub next door and have a pint and a ploughmans lunch. Great big hunks of cheese, crusty bread and as much onion as you wanted. Fantastic. Cant remember the name of the pub though. It wasn't 'The Fountain'.

Cheese and onion pie recipe

1lb.onions.
8oz.shortcrust pastry.
8oz. Cheddar cheese.
1tsp.mustard
black pepper.
1 egg.
Heat oven to 200 deg.C, gas mark6.Boil sliced onions for 10 mins. and drain.
Roll out half the pastry and line a 2 pint pie dish.Mix the onion,cheese, and mustard and black pepper to taste, place in the dish.Roll out the other half of the pastry, cover the pie with it.Moisten the edges and seal the pie well.Cut a small hole in the top to let out excess steam.Brush the top with the beaten egg for a glazed finish and bake for 20 to 25 minutes

Bon Appetite.BobS

I can remember eating cheese and onion pie in the British Restaurant in Tower Road, Aston in 1945, rather than the stuff thatg was being served in the school canteen. Other times I would make do with a couple of Greasley Norton's steak and kidney pies.
Peter

Don’t think I’ve heard the expression ‘Spanish onion’ for a long, long time. When I worked at Fountain Court, Steelhouse Lane, there was a sandwich bar next door. They did the best cheese and Spanish onion cobs in town. Incredibly juicy onion and full flavoured cheddar cheese, wonderful. And do they still call them cobs ? The crusty round bread rolls ? What a delicious combination; the crustiness of the cob, the juicy onion and the creamy cheddar. Viv.

Don’t think I’ve heard the expression ‘Spanish onion’ for a long, long time. When I worked at Fountain Court, Steelhouse Lane, there was a sandwich bar next door. They did the best cheese and Spanish onion cobs in town. Incredibly juicy onion and full flavoured cheddar cheese, wonderful. And do they still call them cobs ? The crusty round bread rolls ? What a delicious combination; the crustiness of the cob, the juicy onion and the creamy cheddar. Viv.
Love those cobs and add a chuck of butter!

So many varieties of cheese available nowadays, and several varieties of onion, that it would take a few weeks to test all the combinations and choose your favourites. Ailsa Craig (the big white ones) we used to have, but they probably don't get grown very often apart from guys entering competitions. They could be very hot sometimes, so perhaps they've gone out of favour.

We see a lot of the Spanish red onions, which tend to be milder, and I've grown the Greek white onions, which are the easiest thing to grow in poor soil, and don't go to seed - they reproduce like shallots. I like those.

Maurice

I worked at The Diamond Screw and Cotter co, in Cherrywood rd, Bordesley Green, early '60's. At lunch time there was a long queue outside a terraced house opposite the factory for the most fantastic Cheese and Onion sandwiches( brown sauce optional), made by a little old lady and her sister, served out of the front window! 1s and 3p springs to mind. THICK crusty bread, sliced Cheddar and crunchy onion.Never had so good since!

Back