• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Soho Road Handsworth

A similar view as that in post #524. A lovely scene of daily activity; passengers boarding a tram, a shopkeeper chatting to a delivery man, two policemen observing things on the corner by the Council House.

Viv

View attachment 173993
Superb photograph. Spent many happy hours in Handsworth Library researching for my school projects and homework in 1950's.
We are now spoilt with instant access to questions using the internet

Thanks for confirming the shop that was knocked down next to Darlington's. Yep - Barn Lane thats it. Yes, I am still sticking to my guns atm that the little red shop ( Shortie ) :) was not next to Darlingtons as far as I remember. Lets see. Our neighbour was called Mr Heath (I think) and he owned the shop for many years. I'll check again this week when I go visit my Moms old house.

Yes the 11 stop was originally round the corner in Boulton, Alan I remember that now you mentioned it.

The Co-op was at the bottom of Babington and the building is still there today I'm pleased to say.

The other newsagents close by was Withers on the corner of Queens Head Road... great memories guys.. keep them coming.
Hi Stephen, When the Darlingtons paper shop was closed down the travel agent side of the business moved to the premises above the shop on the corner of Soho Road and Boulton Road, the entrance to the travel agent was on Boulton Road, the shop below used to sell bedding curtains and that sort of thing, but I cant remember its name, they must have moved in the mid 70's

Hi Stephen, When the Darlingtons paper shop was closed down the travel agent side of the business moved to the premises above the shop on the corner of Soho Road and Boulton Road, the entrance to the travel agent was on Boulton Road, the shop below used to sell bedding curtains and that sort of thing, but I cant remember its name, they must have moved in the mid 70's
Alan'salans - little red shop 1960s.jpeg

There is a separate thread on the little red shop

Thats it, I can remember the little red shop, but I don't think I'm old enough to remember the houses at the top of Boulton Road. I'm only 55 and lived in Haseley Road from about 1968 to 1996. I can remember them widening the top of Boulton Road. I think the sweet shop turned into a bookmakers, and Bharat Alarms had a office around the back, that was about 1982 ish. I would love to see any more pics of the top of Boulton Road and Haseley Road if any are available.

Thanks for wonderful photo Rob. Brought back many childhood memories especially the famous Little Red Shop on Soho Road in Handsworth. Passed this every day coming home from school on No 11 bus which then turned right down Boulton Road chosen on the picture. There was a bus stop opposite for No 11 and those coming back from West Bromwich (old tram teminus by the Hawthorns footie ground) and Wednesbury.

Fondly remember going into the Little Red Shop to buy DIY items. You could buy ONE NAIL or SCREW for a fraction of an old penny ,not a whole packet of up to 100 nowadays costing several pounds which you never hardly use !!

I remember all the other shops chosen especially the Sweetie Shop to spend your pocket money if you were lucky

Photo just says 1960s, what was the name of the butcher's you worked at?

This one's from March 1968, shows the RED shop

View attachment 174455
Thank you Rob again. Another great photograph on a busy 1968 shopping day. Exactly how we both remember Soho Road near the Boulton Road junction. By then we had moved to our first home near Barr Beacon between Streetly and Aldridge but still came to visit our parents living in the Handsworth area .

Also brought back fond memories of the first two cars in the foreground . We later had a Wolsley and Marina cars

WT Baker, I think the address was 264 (not sure). There was a greengrocer on one side.
I used to go into these shops with my Mum in late 1940's early 1950's . She still had to use her ration books up until 1952.
Virtually everything was sold loose into paper bags - none of this prewrapped food in plastic bags

WT Baker, I think the address was 264 (not sure). There was a greengrocer on one side.
Richard, 264 was correct, 262 was Jacques Fruitr, 270 Red Lion

I worked at Barratt & Baird at 238 Soho rd , near Pump Tavern & 341 Arthur Rose corner of Babington rd,
but only as a young butcher's boy after school.

Richard, 264 was correct, 262 was Jacques Fruitr, 270 Red Lion

I worked at Barratt & Baird at 238 Soho rd , near Pump Tavern & 341 Arthur Rose corner of Babington rd,
but only as a young butcher's boy after school.
Thank you! I knew Mr & Mrs Jacques quite well, they were really nice to me always. I did the same after school and Saturdays. In the summer I usually worked all day on Thursday and Friday £££ What I really enjoyed after about a year they taught me to cut meat and dress chickens/turkeys. I knew Roses but not anyone there.

Thank you! I knew Mr & Mrs Jacques quite well, they were really nice to me always. I did the same after school and Saturdays. In the summer I usually worked all day on Thursday and Friday £££ What I really enjoyed after about a year they taught me to cut meat and dress chickens/turkeys. I knew Roses but not anyone there.
I went to Jacques on Soho Road with my Mum every week shopping, opposite junction with Boulton Road in late 1940's and early 1950's. I always remember Jacques trading in Fruit and Vegetables. I dont remember the butchers side of the business during the years indicated

I went to Jacques on Soho Road with my Mum every week shopping, opposite junction with Boulton Road in late 1940's and early 1950's. I always remember Jacques trading in Fruit and Vegetables. I dont remember the butchers side of the business during the years indicated
The butcher was next door. If you were coming up Bolton Rd toward Soho, the butcher was on the left #264 as Rob confirmed.

Have you any pics of Bolton Rd before re development? My family had a bakers at 310 opposite the Bolton Arms. 1901, I'm sure before your time, but perhaps old pics that may be in your family?

I think that's a little typo by Richard, should be Boulton Road, a different area of Bham.
MWS, my bad you are correct! And I should be ashamed because I was a captain of Boulton House, at school and he is one of my favorite people next to Sir Winston & IKB.
Thank you!

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
WT Baker was the butchers I am not sure when they moved there, I worked there after 56/57

Anyone know if a record shop possibly called The Record Shop, in or around Soho Road run by Kathleen and Peter Deeley ?

Anyone know if a record shop possibly called The Record Shop, in or around Soho Road run by Kathleen and Peter Deeley ?
There was a great record shop on Soho Road, in the block of shops just before you get to Boulton Road (walking away from town) but I can't remember the name of it - this was late 60's.
They were always very helpful and would order anything that wasn't in stock.
They had a good selection of bluebeat and ska for the West Indian community too.

Edit: the name has just come back to me ... Libbys!

Have you any pics of Bolton Rd before re development? My family had a bakers at 310 opposite the Bolton Arms. 1901, I'm sure before your time, but perhaps old pics that may be in your family?
I grew up just off Boulton Road, Handsworth and there was no pub or bakery anywhere along there. My grandfather was a regular at "The Boulton" pub, but this was on the corner of Victoria Rd. and Nineveh Rd, Handsworth. I think you may mean Bolton Road in Small Heath. There's a picture of the "Bolton Arms", Small Heath here:

Last edited:
Back