• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Soho Hill

Judy, they are both in Alton Douglas's 'Birmingham in the fifties', priced £9-99 from most bookshops

Thanks Astonite - I have that book but don't remember the photo. I will go and have another look through it now!!!

Judy

hi bob...cracking pic and i would say its soho hill but then again ive been proved wrong many times before... to compere...your pic is looking up the hill and this one of mine is looking down it......

lyn

Attachments

• soho hill__palla&#1 pic 2.jpg
    soho hill__palla&#1 pic 2.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited by a moderator:
Lynn
Some of the same buildings are shown at post 9 on https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29990 . On that thread the building here marked "Tramway stores" is called Cable Tramway Inn, just by the tram , and it is 102 Hockley Hill , close to the corner with Farm St, and just along from the Benyon Arms. If you look closely , you can see on Glaciermint's photo the edge of the ironwork on the building to the right of the inn/stores, and that the design of the the inn/stores is very similar, are the buildings to the left of it.
Mike

Well spotted Mike. Slightly larger pic attached, on this thread for easy comparison

Bob

Attachments

• Image467[1].jpg
    Image467[1].jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 30
well done mike...i thought it was close...farm st and the benyon arms is only a stones throw away from the beginning of the bottom end of soho hill...got a pic of it somewhere...

lyn

Hi Lynn
Sorry for not replying sooner but I will scan the photos in and email them to you. I also have the book on Summer Lane and there is a photo of the interior of St. Georges Church which I will scan for you. I have been involved in a community project called Buttons and Bling which celebrates the history and heritage of Hockley and Newtown. You might be interested to listen to the recordings of some of the "senior citizens" who talk about living in the area, unfortunately there were not many photographs as they said they couldn't afford cameras; however the forum has certainly been a useful source of information when we were putting the exhibition together. The exhibition is on at The Museum Of The Jewellery Quarter till June.

Malcolm

hi malcolm....maggieuk has emailed me a couple of pics from the book but i would appreciate any that you could send me including st georges church...if you have still got my old hotmail address can you im me and i will send you my new one...ive heard about the buttons and bling project and will try and get to it before june...

lyn

Last edited:
hi malcolm...do you have that hockley book and if so would you be able to scan and post the pics you mentioned please...shortie..dont give up yet...this is well posted on the forum but it took me almost 3 years to find a pic of the the vine inn...villa st..it was opposite were i lived...now this pub was not demolished until 1978 so one would have thought it would have been so easy to find a pic of...not so im afraid...then quite by chance i was talking last year to an old mate who lived just down from me in villa st and i asked if he had any pics of the vine...he hadnt but was almost sure his uncle had...anyhow he took a trip to see him a few days later and lo and behold the next thing i knew he was knocking me door with said pic....the pic was taken by the public works dept in 1958...needless to say this is one of my prized photos.....

lyn
Hi Lyn
I saw Wendy at The Pen Room on Sat. I have given her a CD to pass on to you. It has the scans you wanted and also ones of the interior of St. Georges Church

Malcolm

hi all...took this pic the other week to compere it with the one astonite posted....just 3 of the shops left now...

lyn

Attachments

• soho hill 2.JPG
    soho hill 2.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 23
one more....

Attachments

• soho hill.JPG
    soho hill.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 24
Excellent pics Lyn, you are a brave girl,i trust you were not alone.

thanks max...and yes i was alone..i was jumping the 74 bus up to the eagle meet up...

lyn

Hmmmmm . Well next time you are around there can you get me a pic of the Carnegie,i can still taste the orange juice and see in my minds eye the fantastic rocking horses in there . Second thoughts i will take it meself, im too big and ugly for the "locals" to bother me LOL Max

art deco building at 186 soho hill..on the drainpipe its dated 1922

oldendtues21st027.jpg

and next door to it a lovely building dated 1826..i shudder to think what will become of them..

oldendtues21st026.jpg

hi maggie i thought you lived there or there abouts..soho hill is now a mixture of some buildings which are being kept up and some just left derilict....after seeing what i saw yesterday i couldnt bring myself to walk further down to the pally...may do that next time..

lyn

I can (just) remember being taken by my mother to the School Clinic on Soho Hill (even though we lived in Perry Barr) to have my knock-knees looked at!

Does anyone know if the Polish Club on Soho Hill is still there? I went there a couple of times with a Polish friend, and almost got alcohol poisoning....

Big Gee

sorry big gee i cant help with that one as i dont know where abouts the polish club was...

lyn

The Polish Club was very close to the junction with Villa Road, on the right-hand side going towards town, and in fact may have actually been on Soho Road. There was a sleazy "gentlemen's" club near to it, can't remember what it was called.

Big Gee

Great photo Topsy my great grandfather was involved with the mens movement at the Congregational Church in the picture. I have never found out exactly what this was it would have been around 1890.

Back