• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Soho Hill

once again great pics dibb..think thats icknield st school on the right of the first pic

lyn

Your right there Lyn
I was living at the first house in South Road and remember when they were building the flyover ..used to play in the rubble when the builders went home

dibbs and shortie...ive been racking me brains as i was sure i had posted another pic of soho hill...just found it under the old hockley pics thread i started last april i think it was...anyhow once again its not what we are looking for but i thought it maybe of interest...

lyn

Attachments

• Image6_Hockley_brook_Flyover_1968[1].jpg
    Image6_Hockley_brook_Flyover_1968[1].jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator:
Ive just found one of Soho Hill looking up towards Hampstead Road 1966. but my scanner is refusing to work.

Just gave it a kick. ( got the old scanner out ). Dont know where I got it found it in my file.

Attachments

• Hockley Soho Hill Building flyover.jpg
    Hockley Soho Hill Building flyover.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 42
Thanks for the pic Mike ..i used to walk up there every evening from Lozells girls school ..

great mike..a kick usually does it....nice pic...the houses we are after have gone unfortunately...o well onward and upwards...

cheers

lyn

Frothy our friend Tony Gillard worked at Hills Glass he had an accident and had to leave with back trouble. He lives in Australia now. Great picture Mike!

off to spring hill library later to have a look at what books they have in...its only a small library but you never know...

lyn

It would have been in the 1970's he married an Australian girl here and they went to OZ in the mid 1980's. Before his accident he used to help out a lot of the local bands as a roadie. He knew the guys in UB40 and when the played in Sidney they met up backstage he said he had a fantastic night. He also keeps in contact with Mick Owen's widow. Mick eventually became Bob Geldolphs road manager. Sadly Mick died a few years ago with cancer I think his widow lives in Worcester. Flip me sorry I have gone right off thread.

It would have been in the 1970's he married an Australian girl here and they went to OZ in the mid 1980's.

Blimey that was quick replt Wend. I left about 1970. They were in the process of moving to Dartmouth street

Just found this photo,courtesey of Alton Douglas, apologies if it's been on before.

Attachments

• Hockley Soho Hill 1954.jpg
    Hockley Soho Hill 1954.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 41
astonite thats a great pic...well i have not seen it before anyway.....i am going to do something i dont usually do and thats stick me neck out and say it looks more like soho road than soho hill...we need someone to confirm this...(or not) as the case may be....

cheers...

lyn

just had a closer look and thats a midland bank on the corner...dont think there was one on soho hill...

lyn

Hi Lyn

Yes that is Hockley with Soho Hill going up to Soho Road. I used to work at the bottom of Hockley Hill when I first left school, and used to walk up and down that road most days. I would think that is Icknield Street that the bus is turning out of.

Judy

Lyn

Its the bottom of Hockley Hill Looking up Soho Hill, The bus in the middle of the frame is a No 8 just turning out of Icknield St. The sign on the right you can see advertising televisions is the Civic shop on the corner of New John St.

Phil.

i just knew it...see thats why i dont stick me neck out much lol...yes judy and phil ive got it now....does anyone know the name of the pub on the corner??? phil i should have realised as i have a pic showing most of the civic shop at the corner of new john st west....i really struggle to beleive it looked like this...

lyn

Last edited:
Isn't it amazing how much this view has changed in such a short time. Well, it seems a short time to me!
I would also like to know the name of the pub on the corner.

hi ya charlie..well i cant even remember it as in the pic...most of it was gone by the time i was old enough to have a memory lol...funny how we both have an interest in pubs lol again...

lyn

Lyn

I think the pub in the photo was The Grand Turk and I think it went before the flyover was built if my memory serves me right. that is probably why you don't remember it.

Phil

thanks phil and mike...like i said i have no memory of it looking like that at all...i moved to villa st in 58 aged 5 and by the time i was old enough to wander further most of it must have been demolished...sometimes i feel cheated...it must be great to be able to recall what areas looked like and i reckon thats why i set so much store in collecting pics....

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks from me as well Phil and Mike. I remember the area coz I used to meet dad when he finished his shift at Hockley P.O. on the corner of Key Hill.Then we'd walk back from Hockley, along Hamstead Road and on to home in Putney Road. I was too young to be drinking in the Grand Turk. Mind, I AM a couple of months older than you Lyn. Hmmmm...

Thanks for that photo Astonite - Brought back loads of memories. Can I ask where the picture was from?

Judy

Just been trawling through old pics and came across this one labelled Soho Hill

Bob

Attachments

• soho hill 2.jpg
    soho hill 2.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 47
Back