• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Snow Hill (the Road)

What a great pic Lyn, thats just how I remember it. St. Chads is peeping through the chimney pots.
Lynne.

That is a great photo, Lyn, full of character and nostalgia, for me at least. I do remember Snow Hill as depicted, and would guess that the photo dates from the late 1950's? I remember buying a burger from that little Wimpy Bar, on a Saturday when I'd been for a visit to the Science Museum. Oooh, I've got shivers down me spine....!

Thanks a million!

Big Gee

Would love to find a ROVER like the one in the photo. Dad had many Rovers. John Crump OldBrit.Parker.Co USA

OB - The one I had off my Dad was an earlier one with the centre [Cyclops] Fog Light.

Hi Pete,

The 'photo is looking down Snow Hill (in a northerly direction). The 29A bus is heading for Hockley and its northern terminus - which a is few miles further on. The bus turning in the top right hand corner is turning into Steelhouse Lane. To the immediate left foregound (out of the pic) is where the Dudley and West Bromwich buses departed, from outside the main GWR station entrance, then going down the hill you see in the pic. Passengers for these buses had some fine covered shelters which were the originals from when the route was served by tramcars (but that is even before my time being just before WW2 when I was a babe. lol

I haven't looked on Google maps to see how many of these roads and buildings still exist - my memory is of 60 years ago. lol

PS: send me a PM or e-m to arrange a sked on Echolink (G1AEU)

Lyn, I love this pic, I can't remember it being like this, but I bet mom and dad will!It's so full of life and so many things going on in it.
Sue

Radiorails has it dead right. I travelled down there on old West Brom busses caught in front of Snow Hill Station on the left on most week days 52/55 and this looks about that date. We used to catch the old West Brom busses whenever possible because I think race car drivers drove for them in their spare time...which was handy if a little late for school.

It's a brilliant picture, however I don't remember what was this far down. I boarded at a school in Stourbridge and came home on the train, catching the No 72 bus outside the station. Harrisons Opticians were on the corner with Steelhouse Lane, and there was a Wimpy bar. I cannnot remember exactly when it was redeveloped, but I know it was completed by 1964, as working in Constitution Hill, I used to go into town in my lunchtime and always used the underpasses - something I would not dream of today.

Lyn, something made me come back and look again. This is actually right at the top of Snow Hill, the road signs on the left made me look again. Harrisons Opticians were just on the corner where the bus is turning, I remember the Wimpey, which you can just make out if you look closely -, the bus is turning into Steelhouse Lane. The Wesleyan was just a building or two up from there, such a grand building, it's a pity they demolished it. Lloyd House was further down Snow Hill, and there was no right turn at that point. I am sure Mike will confirm what I believe to be correct.

Shortie

Deans were no 1 snow hill, and Preedys No 3 on the east side of Snow hill, so looks like you are right Shortie

Anyone know if Snow Hill passage was in amongst the stretch of buildings in Lyn's photo please? Viv.

Snow Hill passage ran up next to np 78 at the other end. It was at times also known as Clives passage, and in some directories just as Honduras Wharf, which it led to.

That's great Mike. You've solved a family history mystery for me, as up until now I'd assumed Honduras Wharf was a different place. Had a gt grandfather and gt gt grandfather running their blacksmiths business there. Many thanks, a good result! All I need now are some old pictures of the bottom of Snow Hill as I believe there was once an advert promoting (Jones) their business there. Viv.

I Wonder where about on Snow Hill this would have been?
tobaccodealer.jpg

I think you are correct Paul. John Lloyd is listed as at 30 High St in the 1829 Wrightson's directory, but is missing in 1833. In 1823 it is C & H Lloyd at 30 High St. No mention of Snow Hill Birmingham
Mike

Lyn another great picture. As I remember from the 1950's Constitution Hill ran from Snow Hill Station on to Gt Hampton Street up to Hockley Hill. The sight of the Rover car reminded me of my very first job when I accompanied my boss in his car to deliver leather goods the The Midland Educational shop in Corporation Street. Lovely memories of days gone by.

2 cracking pics of snow hill...thanks for posting them..terry yours is the view that i can remember but i really love the older ones..

lyn

The last days of the original alignment of Snow Hill, from the bottom looking upwards. The two-way road has now become a downward two-lane highway, with Lloyd House on the left a new construction. This original downward dual carriageway became a cul-de-sac serving as a lower entry into Snow Hill station after it became a car park.
image.php

Does anyone remember the union of bus shelters that were all congregated together just underneath the Evening Mail offices?

I remember them well James. As well as that stretch below the Post & Mail, by Lloyd House, there was also a cluster around the corner on Snow Hill just before turning into Colmore Circus, behind the Gaumont Cinema. Then there were even more just as you turned into Priory Queensway. I assume those that stopped beneath the Post & Mail would terminate at that point and start the return journey from there. Viv.

Back