• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Snow Hill Station

Yes, thanks Ell. Good to see the Vaughton Works put to good use and that they've kept the original exterior.

Your 2nd photo is a great view down towards Constitution Hill. But what a dreadful waste of money on new buildings that'll be demolished! Viv.

Ballymore are Irish, and think they went into administration or something.

Two Snowhill itself got delayed by 3 or 4 years (One Snowhill opened in 2009 or 2010).

You could see the lift shaft cores whenever you were in Snow Hill!

Before

After

As you can see the unfinished cores are still at the front of St Chad's Circus.

Well that's a jaw dropping waste of time and money!

For all you musicians out there, Ell has just captured the edge of the old Yardley's music store corner of Livery Street/Constitution Hill to the right of his 2nd photo. Viv.

Like it Ell.

I notice one of the Flickr comments says you're doing a good job of documenting today's Birmingham. Completely agree. I'm sure BHF members appreciate your efforts too. It gives us exiles and those who can't visit an idea of how things are changing. The recent tram development too means Streetview isn't always accessible now. So your updates are even more helpful. Thanks for your hard work. Viv.

The footbridge from Colmore Row to Snow Hill Station

Current Snow Hill Tram Stop (closed until Monday 15th April 2013)

There will be a new tram stop other side of living wall when the extension to New Street is completed

View from the train towards Snow Hill tunnel

Superb little trip!
Walked that many a time in 1971/2, first undertaking mtce at Hockley Signal Box, and later to remove all the cabling after the line was closed.

It's not looking too bad for modern construction. Just wish they'd finish the bottom of Snow Hill though!
Had my first trip Snow Hill - Marylebone last Weds. Made a change from going NS-Euston (though I came back that way for speed!)
How Bordesley has changed!! and nice to pass right by Wembly instead of seeing it from afar.

Must pop into New St soon to see how it's going - still a mess at platform level!

Unfortunately, as things stand at present, there will be no equivalent Snow Hill tram stop. The stops are planned for the viaduct alongside the new'ish' Gt. Charles St, Snow Hill Station entrance and the next stop is planned for Bull Street.
We are based in One Snowhill and have discussed with CENTRO about having a tram stop for the potentially 5,000 people who may be working in One and Two Snowhill and they were quite dismissive saying people will walk!!

I thought they were moving the Tram Stop here

Sadly not, as I stated, just the other side of the Gt. Charles St. bridge and the next stop in Bull Street, there have been several approaches by ourselves[KPMG] and the managing agents Savills on behalf of the owners of the building and what we are told is that the area in your photograph is not wide enough to build a stop. Incidentally this location is just where it turns out onto the road, to the right on the photo, to go up to Bull Street and onwards to Corporation Street and then Stephenson Street.
I personally believe they could have run down to Moor Street and the Coach station before New Street to make a properly inegrated transpot solution, but what do I know!!

There's space on the new bridge, and just beyond it, next to that empty site

The distance to St Paul's is a bit short though!

Next to the site of those unfinished core towers - there might be room (when will that garden be built?)

I personally believe they could have run down to Moor Street and the Coach station before New Street to make a properly inegrated transpot solution, but what do I know!!

Interesting suggestion especially as the HS2 station will be in Moor Street not Curzon Street as everyone is saying.

The bus Interchanges only came into force last summer! And any way, Moor Street is linked to Snow Hill via the Snow Hill tunnel (for trains).

It should now be easier than ever to walk from Moor Street to New Street Station with the opening of that new bridge behind the Odeon.

Going back to 1912, here's a view of an entrance to Snow Hill station closed because of the coal strike opposing the introduction of the minimum wage for pit workers.The strike lasted quite some time through the winter months, from 26 February to 11 April 1912. Poor man with the portmanteau, wonder what he was thinking! Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367678823.713488.jpg

Viv, Don't know where you got the photo from but it cannot have been Snow Hill, Birmingham as it was a South East and Chatham Railways' station. Could have been Snow Hill Station London.

Did wonder about that David, didn't know there was a Snow Hill station in London. If so it looks more feasible as the architecture doesn't look like Birmingham. Must have been confusing if there was another Snow Hill. And was it in central London? Viv.

Yeah wrong Snow Hill.

No Evening News in Birmingham.

Would have been Birmingham Evening Mail or Post back then!

Doesn't even look like our old Snow Hill.

Thanks Ell and Mike. What a small world. Never knew Snow Hill was at Holborn Viaduct. Used to use that line every day to work in the 1980s! It always seemed squeezed into a very small space, between buildings that were very close together. Holborn V has now disappeared and is part of the the Thameslink line. Apologies for the deviation. Viv.

Snow Hill London was for a time know as Holborn Viaduct Low Level and the station you knew Viv was Holborn Viaduct High Level. Effectively the old Snow Hill is now City Thameslink Station with a northern entrance on Holborn Viaduct and a southern entrance on Ludgate Hill

Have trolled through most of this thread and found some really good pictures of the clock at Snow Hill Station. My interest in the clock is due to recently being reminded of a `family story`. An Uncle was said to have purchased the clock (late 60s/ early 70s ?). Apparently, it was the meeting place for his first date with my Aunt. I don`t doubt that they may have met under the clock - but buying it ? How would you house such a thing ?
Would love to be able to confirm the `story` - Does anyone have any info. on what became of the clock, please !

Back