• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

SMITH Samuel Ernest

rowan

Born a Brummie
Samuel Ernest Smith was born 3rd November 1874. His parents are Samuel Smith & Emily Rigby (They didn't get married until 1891 :rolleyes:). Samuel Ernest joined up in 1894 Connaught Rangers Royal Irish Fusiliers, he was 19yrs 2mths.

I cannot, for life of me find him in a census 1881 or 1891.

When he was born his parents were living at ACCHO PLACE PARK LANE ASTON MANOR.

I have his marriage and his army records. When he joined up he put his Mother as next of kin and that she was living at 2 VYSE STREET but this was crossed out once he married in 1907.

I don't know where to go from here and of course it is the dreaded SMITH name!!!

HELP..........................pleeeeze :sorrow:

Re: Samuel Ernest SMITH

Tricky. Are there any more bits of info that might help? Siblings? Was Emily born in Coventry?

Hi, Thank you for your reply.

Yes his mother Emily was born in Coventry (1849). I can find her and the rest of his siblings but he seems to be missing in 1881 & 1891.

Samuel Ernest's siblings are Clara Elizabeth (known as Lizzie), Emily, William, Henry, Albert, Gertrude & Caroline (who were twins).

Emily in 1901 was living with a HENRY GOODE & is down as his wife but this could be a mistake & she could have been a lodger but who knows :rolleyes: Samuel senior died in 1892. Emily died about 1914.

In 1911 Emily was living at 47 Manor Road Aston Manor with 3 of her children Albert, Caroline & Gertrude.

Oh!.............. the dreaded name of Smith :sorrow:

Ok, I spotted them in 1891 and thought maybe Henry was a mistake. Also saw them with Henry Goode in 1901, could find no marriage.

My nan was a Smith unfortunately.

There is a Samuel Smith born abt 1873 in Birmingham listed in Marston Green homes on the 1881 census - could this be him?? Also in 1891 there is a Samuel Smith listed as a servant at the Union Club in Colmore Row.
If he was not with the family it makes it hard to tell if it is a correct entry or not.

Janice

Hi, Samuel Ernest Smith was my Great Grandfather. I have also found it very hard to find Census returns for him. There is a strong suspicion that some of our Smith family belonged to the Gypsy community. It is my hunch (and it is only that) that the family could have been living in dwellings that did not even get counted on census returns, such as caravans. Another hint is Samuel's parents marriage after so many children. Maybe they didn't have an official marriage, (and just a gypsy one) for many years? Their late official marriage was perhaps needed for them to move into a house which they were definitely doing at a later time.
Mandy

Back