• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Smith publican in Spooner Street

Dave M

Pheasey Born Bumper
Just had email from my cousins wife Carolyne, not living in this area, asking for any info relating to, a relative of Carolyne living at No 30 Spooner Street, Duddeston, Aston, in the 1880s and was a Publican, her husband died whilst living at Guest Street and his name was Smith, he was a Maltster, and his father William Smith was a Brewer, Carolyne believe`s that there is a connection to a brewery, and is wondering could he have had anything to do with Ashted Brewery

Thanks for any info or maps, will pass all on, hopefully Carolyne will join the site :)

Hi dave Spooner St was the first St off Erskine St ( were i lived) to my knowledge there were no pubs or outdoors there . at the top end by Newdigate St "Guys had a beer bottling plant. The nearest Brewery i think was Holt St. Dek

hi dave..found this one of spooner st...:)the guest st i know was off bridge st west...

pic courtesy of carl chinn

lyn

Spooner St was the first street on the left going down Erskine St i know this because Hindlow Close where we lived was built on the old Spooner St site

Mau-reece:)

Thanks Mossy hope Carolyne joins fed up with all the running :) :(

30 Spooner St in the 1880s might have been a pub ?:)

Spooner St was the first street on the left going down Erskine St i know this because Hindlow Close where we lived was built on the old Spooner St site

Mau-reece:)

Hi Mossy i used to live 3 Erskine St. I used to park me A35 van on the corne ro fHindlow Close ready to push it down the hill if it wouldn,t start one morning i came out and theres me van all Quashed up on the pavement some body had slidded on the iice and wrote of me van. It wasn,t you was it???:D:D:D.the guy that did was decent enough to leave his address on me windscreen, didn,t go down to well when i told me gaffer his van was a load of scrap. DEk:rolleyes:

No Dek i only had a Lambretta:D:D:D you must know the Greogerys

Mau-reece:cool:

Dek what year was you taking about when you van got mashed up

Mossy

Dave
In 1881 Elizabeth Smith (head) was publican at 30 Spooner St with her son & daughter Harry & Kialie (?),, her mother Mary Hirst and sister Kate Hirst. She hadn’t been there long , as in the 1880 kellys the landlord was Emma Evans. The 1891 census states that, then at least, it was known as the fountain Inn. There was incidently a malthouse in spooner St , as shown on the map blend c 1910 and the 1890 map at https://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapsheet.aspx?compid=55193&sheetid=10094&ox=4675&oy=3116&zm=1&czm=1&x=612&y=298. The 1880 kellys also lists a maltster Thomas Swift , though he is not listed in 1888. No 30 would have been close to the building in red, being either that one or one either side.
Mike

Thanks mikejee thats got to be extra pudding next time I see Carolyne :)

will pass it on, thanks to all :) Dave

Mike
Thanks for that info - any idea how I can find out more about the local breweries??
Carolyne

Hello Carolyne. Glad you are joining us. I don't know of anywhere that describes birmingham breweries. The trouble is that, around that time, there were a lot of breweries. Many of the pubs brewed their own beer, and could really be considered as little breweries themselves. For the larger ones there is some information at https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/breweries/birmingham.htm
Mike

Back