• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Smallbrook Queensway

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Can't say I've ever before thought of Smallbrook Queensway as Birmingham's 'Regent Street'. Plans are afoot to redevelop some of it. From Biham Post 1/3/16. Viv.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:
Let's enjoy it's past !!!??

image.jpgimage.jpeg

Was Clint Eastwood thinking "Ah yes, just like Regent Street" !!!

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Can't say I've ever before thought of Smallbrook Queensway as Birmingham's 'Regent Street'. Plans are afoot to redevelop some of it. From Biham Post 1/3/16. Viv.

View attachment 103264View attachment 103265View attachment 103266View attachment 103267View attachment 103268

Viv - My guess is that the similarity with the Regent Street designed by John Nash lies in the generously broad thoroughfare making a graceful curve towards one end - St Martin's Circus in Brum and Piccadilly Circus in London. And with its straight alignment and huge department stores, is Corporation Street Birmingham's Oxford Street?

It's curves, to me, are its main attraction but the curves won't curve quite so much if the plan goes ahead. And yes it is a very broad road, not really taken that in before. Viv.

It's curves, to me, are its main attraction but the curves won't curve quite so much if the plan goes ahead. And yes it is a very broad road, not really taken that in before. Viv.

The planners did flatten quite a lot in order to get it to fit in, Viv

Some newish postings on the DJNorton website btw

https://www.photobydjnorton.com/NewBham/NewBham14.html

https://www.photobydjnorton.com/NewBham/NewBham4.html

https://www.photobydjnorton.com/NewBham/NewBham5.html

There are some odd ideas from the guy who's planning to complain. Something about this being outside of the "tall building zone" seems quite bizarre since this is the opposite corner to the Sentinels (previously the tallest buildings in the city) and across the road from that green glass hotel (now the tallest building in the city).

30630043_2139533732943322_2139756245920251904_n.jpg

look how nice and clean and new it was then...total mess now and it didnt take long..

lyn

It certainly wasn't me in that photo, I was in the RAF at the time. However, I am curious at what was getting their undivided attention?

Back