• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Small Heath Garrison in World War I

S

Shabra

My grandfather signed up for WWI in 1914. His wife was living in Wolverhampton to begin with but moved to Templefield Grove off Cattel Road in Smallheath. I notice that this is just off Garrison Lane. Was there an army garrison there in 1918? She may of course have moved to be with her sister as her family came from Birmingham originally. I would really appreciate any information on this! Bless you anyway! Shabra.

I think you will find its Templefield St, not grove, which runs from Cattel Rd to Garrison Lane.

Shabra, Garrison Lane is on the 1851 census, I'm sure it was nothing to do with a WW1,Garrison
I was born in Templefield St,what number was your Grandmother at?

Nick

Hi Nick - the address I have is [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']7, Templefield Grove, it's repeated a couple of times, always Grove and not Street. My Gran was Henrietta Bird, she had 3 children then.[/FONT]

You will find that there were Barracks in that area from early on to quit late .
In 1783 Duddeston could boast about 80 homes, and the area was being rapidly built up. Following the 1791 Birmingham Riot, when the military had to travel from Lichfield, military barracks were erected near the Vauxhall Gardens. They consisting of handsome buildings, cavalry exercise area, parade grounds and a hospital. By 1795 a further 311 homes had been built. Soon urban sprawl from neighbouring districts linked up with the Duddeston/Vauxhall area

Barracks still there in 1932
View attachment 15168

Wow! Brilliant, Pomgolian! The barracks then were at the other end of Garrison Lane, over 3 railway lines to Templefields. Houses had been built 120 years before WWI. My next question of course is whether those houses, particularly in the Templefields area, were used for army families in 1917? Does anyone have any memories of old houses there and whether they had been used for soldiers families?

Hi Nick,
He was in the Army Ordnance Core - which became RAOC - and I think he was attached to 2/1 Lancashire Hussars Yeomanry. They had been a cavalry regiment but had been 'dismounted' and turned into a cyclist unit in the course of WWI. He had been moved about a bit and was in the 6th Royal Berkshire before.

My grandad's wife (my gran even!) had family in Brum. Two of her sisters had married and were called Sarah Palmer and Agnes Ridding. I won't know any more about them until the 1911 census comes out next year. He maiden name was Biddulph, she had brothers and possibly unmarried sisters too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back