• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Skinner Lane

Brothers Jack and Thomas?

Interestingly, I see that your great grandfather (John) was married previously and it looked like he had to wait until his first wife died to marry your great grandmother. And luckily/sadly just before he died.

Brothers Jack and Thomas?

Interestingly, I see that your great grandfather (John) was married previously and it looked like he had to wait until his first wife died to marry your great grandmother. And luckily/sadly just before he died.
Yes brothers Jack and Thomas. How did you find out about a previous marriage? I never knew that but always wondered why they married so late. What info have you got on first marriage as I’d look into that. Thanks

It was the late marriage that got my interest. When I started searching for John I found he was listed as married on both the 1891 and 1901 census though he was living with his parents and there was no sign of his wife.

Luckily on the 1911 census there is a listing for Mrs John Varley (no sign of husband) which gave me something to go on.

Marriage between John Varley and Marion (Eleanor) Finch was registered Dec qtr 1887 Bham, so possibly didn't last long. She is listed as Marion Varley in 1891 and 1901 with relatives, they don't appear to have had any children.

Her death is registered Jun qtr 1936 Bham.

It was the late marriage that got my interest. When I started searching for John I found he was listed as married on both the 1891 and 1901 census though he was living with his parents and there was no sign of his wife.

Luckily on the 1911 census there is a listing for Mrs John Varley (no sign of husband) which gave me something to go on.

Marriage between John Varley and Marion (Eleanor) Finch was registered Dec qtr 1887 Bham, so possibly didn't last long. She is listed as Marion Varley in 1891 and 1901 with relatives, they don't appear to have had any children.

Her death is registered Jun qtr 1936 Bham.
Wow, I’ll need to look at that. It took me so long just to find my great grandparents marriage details, it didn’t occur to me for a while to look so late. Shame there’s no story to this with the family, I’m curious now. He was a bit of a character, bare knuckle fighter ( on the side)apparently and he travelled to the states Chicago by boat to fight but came back swiftly as someone was shot, so the story goes. It’s why I was asking if anyone remembered the family or stories of. Do you research as a hobby

The more you look the more surprising things you find out.

Interesting, hopefully you'll be able something about that.

There may be a newspaper article (21 Jul 1891, Bham Daily Post) about him being involved in an assault, the article mentions a John jun and a John snr and a Thomas. John's father was also called John and he had a brother Thomas so it could be them.

Yes, I enjoy a bit of genealogy. So many fascinating things to discover.

The more you look the more surprising things you find out.

Interesting, hopefully you'll be able something about that.

There may be a newspaper article (21 Jul 1891, Bham Daily Post) about him being involved in an assault, the article mentions a John jun and a John snr and a Thomas. John's father was also called John and he had a brother Thomas so it could be them.

Yes, I enjoy a bit of genealogy. So many fascinating things to discover.
Yes I’ve got that pretty sure it’s him

My own understanding of Skinner Street dates back to c.1815, but here the address refers to 55 Skinner Street, Snowhill (sic), which was a warehouse. Quite some distance from Skinner Street off Bromsgrove Street, which is shown below (1902-1903 map).

Is anyone aware of another Skinner Street that was sited near Snow Hill?

1640176467385.png

There is always a possibility that a Skinner Street existed in Snow Hill, London, so I'll research that a little further.

Answering my own question here - I now believe it was the Skinner Street in London that was being referred to.
There's a Skinner Street and a Snow Hill in Wolverhampton too.

Here is some info on the London ones...
Thanks, the link to the London site was very useful - but frustrating that the map does not include No.55. It was either Skinner Street in Birmingham or London. I've now determined that it was in London.

This is a photo of my brother Raymond Foulkes Jill, the shop is where we lived on 50 Skinner Lane, the courtyards were up the sides of where the shop was and opposite was (on the right) where the cars are is the start of Skinner Street. We had a Mrs Harris live up the courtyard in 1950's, a lovely lady. Hope this helps anyone the road at the back of my brother is not Skinner Lane or Street, Bromsgrove St runs across the back of him and he is looking down Skinner Lane to Dean St.
Hi sheil me and my sister were born behind your shop marg and john lynch i remember you buying a little chicken from henrys store in town and givingit to us when we moved to kings heath

Hi sheil me and my sister were born behind your shop marg and john lynch i remember you buying a little chicken from henrys store in town and givingit to us when we moved to kings heath
Hi John, Sorry it has taken me so long to reply I had forgotten my password but all sorted now. It's great to hear from you I remember you all, your Mom and Dad were such a lovely couple, your dad got Ray into the the slaughter house part time. That chicken caused such a ruction when I bought it home lol my Mom told me I had to get rid of it. Do you remember Patty Grosvenor, I am in touch with her too FB. I hope you and Margaret are well and thanks for the message

What a lovely photo of Raymond Foulkes a handsome man ive never forgotten him as a 5 year old i thought he was soooo handsome so sad how he died hope we meet uo again Sheila Foulkes Margie Lynchxx
Hi Margie, just spotted yours and Johns message hope you are well and I remember your Mom and Dad so fondly, your Mom used to keep an eye out on the back gate for us when my Mom and Dad were out bless her. I'm living in Tamworth now but its so good to hear from you both xx

This is a photo of the Coronation Party in June 1953 this was held in the Dean Street youth club and the people attending are from Skinner Lane and Skinner Street. Let me know if you spot any family. Dean Street youth club was at the bottom end of Skinner Lane (opposite end to the shop)

Attachments

• skinner lane coronation party.jpg
    skinner lane coronation party.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 31
Hi everyone, does anyone remember the Davis family that lived on skinner street in the early 60’s. Trying to research my family tree. Thanks :)

Both really - I know they lived on skinner street in the 1960’s - 4 kids and 2 adults.
hi LDavies if you are looking for help with your davis ancestry could you please start a new thread under the letter D in the SURNAME INTERESTS section of the forum..

cheers

lyn

This is a photo of the Coronation Party in June 1953 this was held in the Dean Street youth club and the people attending are from Skinner Lane and Skinner Street. Let me know if you spot any family. Dean Street youth club was at the bottom end of Skinner Lane (opposite end to the shop)
Hi shiela ive got that photo me and mom are on moms turning her head im on her lap just got back in the forum hope your well john lynch

Hi shiela ive got that photo me and mom are on moms turning her head im on her lap just got back in the forum hope your well john lynch
Hi John, I think our Raymond is sat behind you on the table, it was good to hear from you . We are well here, hope you are too and Margaret. Send her my love. Living in Tamworth now and so is my sister Val.

Hi John, I think our Raymond is sat behind you on the table, it was good to hear from you . We are well here, hope you are too and Margaret. Send her my love. Living in Tamworth now and so is my sister Val.
Lovely marg and me would love to meet up some time got couple of pictures of you and me and marg ive just got going a gain on this forume loved living in skinner lane got lot of memories even thogh young when we left hope to hear more from you

Lovely marg and me would love to meet up some time got couple of pictures of you and me and marg ive just got going a gain on this forume loved living in skinner lane got lot of memories even thogh young when we left hope to hear more from you
Yes would love to meet up
It has been ages since i have been on here just trying to see how to send you my details

Yes would love to meet up

It has been ages since i have been on here just trying to see how to send you my details
Thats great do you remeber steve bowater and his brothers phil and peter steve worked in the pigary in the market and i worked on the market lots to talk about lernt to ride bike in skinner st happy days

Thats great do you remeber steve bowater and his brothers phil and peter steve worked in the pigary in the market and i worked on the market lots to talk about lernt to ride bike in skinner st happy days
John my email is [email protected]
will leave it on for 24hours plus I am on Facebook if you are under Sheila Clarke (Foulkes)

Back