• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

shoes ;

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
ON the subject of shoes ; how many of you ever had a blister on your heal from buying new shoes i wonder
i do not buy new shoes very often unles ihave too for the fear of geting that readed blister ;
unfortunetly my dear old dutchess as got one she complains all day long when she come home from work
still thts the price of shoes aint it guys ; and mentioning the price of them its rediculous i say ;
does any body recall the shoe shop on the corner bull street and steel house lane they was there around the 1959 perio before they was knocked down ;
i bought a pair of shoes from there one day for 25/- shilling and on that wek end i wore them to do the usal pub crawl around spring hill
up to the red cow and back hitting all the pubs both sides of the rd through and up to the dudley rd
three of us ; on that wek e4nd it rained and rained just like todays performance with rain by monday morning the heal had fell away ;
and it was completely naff shoe as it was a forign inport and made mostly of compressed carboard and ply wood a thin layer
so i marched back to bull street i took the morninff from work and asked for the manager she said would you like a replacement ;
And i said not likely i want my money back with out a quibble she gave it me back and i never went near any of there stores again
did you ever by from hardy freeman and williss ? . best wishes astonian ;

Talking of shoes, does anyone on the forum have little feet, I take a size 2 or 2 1/2 but since Banks Ladies Shoe Shop in Stockland Green closed down, I have had a lot of trouble finding somewhere to buy not only day to day shoes but also dance shoes. Any ideas girls!!

If you rub a little vaseline on your heels it can prevent the rubbing which causes the blisters, the same can apply if you get them across your toes.

My mom used to swear by a potato cut in half and put the two halves resting against the heels of new shoes overnight. She reckoned it softened the leather, I never seemed to notice the difference, still got blisters.

Terry

hi dave ;
many thanks for your remedie ; dave; i will inform the dutchess when she comes home tonight from work;
sheis really suffering now she as some sort of a special plaster on it but it keeps rubbing off ;and its all red and blistered
i am sure she will be intrested to try it out any think is a great help dave its a pity katie your feet are so small ; if it was a size five then my dutchess is throwing shoes out left right and centre ; and there was me thinking she had small feet ; cor blimey katie you must have pigeontoes feet how on earth do or should i say find a shoe shop today for your self they are all continentle sizes arent they ?;
best wishs guys astonian;; alan ;;;

There is a spray called Bama which is a barefoot spray with silk and helps reduce friction. Its £4.50 and I get my from Brantano Shoeshop.

Katie, my mother took size 2 or 2 1/2, and always had a hard time getting shoes that size ...when she did find some she would buy 2or3 pairs at a time...l know in her later years she was so glad Clarks carried her size....Brenda

Katie, Barratts shoe hops used to start from size 2, not sure if they are still round though - there used to be one on High Street in the city centre.
Our Brantano also stocks a few pairs of size 2 and 3 shoes.
My friend swears by any Chinese fashion shops, she goe to one in the Chinese quarter in London, there could be one in Birmingham too I guess, may be worth a look - she says they do the best embroidered fancy shoes for dressy occasions.
Alan, I remember Freeman Hardy Willis, my friends dad managed the one in Tamworth many years ago, I loved their shoes!
Sue

I hope this doesn't cause offence, but my grandad when he had new boots, would, er, pee into them and leave them for a week. The urine softens the leather, which figures as it's used in tanneries for that purpose. An old Army trick, apparently.

Katie, is Banks Mens shoe-shop still going? I hope so, because it's about the only place I can get shoes to fit my plates.

G

I believe Banks Mens shoe shop is still going. Thanks for all the replies, I used to go to Barratts at one time and was able to order shoes from there, but they are not around any more. None of the shops have that personal touch nowadays. Thinks I will make China my next years' holiday !!!!!

Big gee, my g/father always wore boots and when he had a new pair he would soak them in a bucket of water then put them on and let them dry to the shape of his feet....he had bunnions and said they were more comfortible to wear after he reshaprd them ....Brenda

When I have new shoes that cause problems with my heels... I rub a candle against the offending spot in the shoe..works for me every time!!

Margaret.

Back