• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shampoo

Hi Jean

Yes I remember that it came off on to your clothes and if you ran your fingers thro your hair and then touched your face, you would be covered in ash blonde powder! I was working at 16 as a shorthand typist in the council house and I used to go to a really posh hairdressers near Seven Street, (where Chetwyns and Laura Dixons above it used to be). I cant think of the name of the hairdressers but they wer ever so good . I eventually stopped using the powder and used to have my hair died "Tieshen" - not sure how to spell it. It was a pale reddy colour! All the rage in 1960!! I cant think how I could afford such a place as I was only earning £3.15 shillings a week.
Wendy

Do we wander from shampoo to surgical appliances because it's called a thread, just leads on and on?

Yes, I remember Stayblonde shampoo, perhaps I should have tried that instead of the Borax.

Maggs

I remember Bristows Lanolin Shampoo Judy, and I used it. Do you remember 'Supersoft' 3d a sachet? That was a lovely shampoo, but when it went into bottles it wasn't quite the same.

Maggs

I've just thought of another one 'PLIX' I thought the smell of this was fabulous..anyone remember?

Maggs

When I was a child my mother just used Rinso to wash my hair, couldn't have done too much harm as I still have a mop of hair. I also remember Drene, and most of the other shampoos mentioned.

Jean, if my memory is correct Trex was a sort of lard, can't think anyone would have used that on their hair. Can confirm Patty was a very good hairdresser, she did my hair regularly when she worked for Ray.

I remember in the 1970s when we used to have our hair done in "Madame
Pompadour" type styles with kiss curls at the side, one hairdresser used to stick them down with Bostick.

In reply to other posts, the bubble cut was earlier than the poodle cut, which had shorter curls on the top and longer hair at the back, hence the poodle look.

Well Sylvia it shows how old I am then, if the Bubble cut came before the Poodle cut. Judy, PLIX was a setting lotion. Pretty expensive. Not generally available in chemists at that time (1956/58). It was a tiny bottle and you used the whole thing on one set. It did later become more available but the fabulous smell had changed. Once when I got (sshh nits) My stepmother washed my hair in Jeyes Fluid, neat at that. For years afterwards she felt guilty about it and often said she could have made me bald. Don't know about bald, she could have blinded me!!!

Nice thread but can I remind you ladies and gentlemen about the guidelines on 'irrelevant chat' in the History sections.
(See rules at the top of the forum)
Me big red pen is at the ready LOL.

Last edited:
Another shampoo from way back was Icilma - I think that was how it was spelt.

Alberta sorry for straying slightly off topic.

Ladies been reading last few threads and trying to remember what was said so I will say Plix was a setting lotion and the stuff you put streaks in you hair with was Collair it was silver powder. thanks for the complements on the hairdressing I loved it and wish I could still do it. I also wish I had taken some photo of the hairstyles I did and the competition ones. I will have to ask Mavis if she has any as I did her hair and she was always having her pic took. Sylvia do you remember all those shampoo's ect that Ray had at the front of the shop???

Last edited:
Lovely ads Mike. But whatever was Olestol, I bet Health and Safety wouldn't allow that today.

Patty, I do remember all the different shampoos and hair lacquers Ray used to sell, have quite a few photos of the shops, but don't know how to post them.

Years ago I was a "model" for a hairdressers just up from the Barton's Arms, it was great as I had about 3 free hairdos a week when she was practising for the competition which was held at that nightclub in Dale End, can't remember the name now, she didn't win though.

Sylvia I was too. My friends aunt owned it can't remember her name. Here neice was a Janet Slim and we met up a few years ago by chance at a ten pin bowling tournament. She told me her aunt died some time ago. Was that shampoo called atrixo where I got trex from I don't know. Jean.

Jean that is hand cream, Sylvia can you e.mail me some photo and i will put them on, have you got any of the staff?

Patty, I don't know how to email photos either - dumb or what - there are no close up of staff I can recall, maybe one or two in the distance - I think Irene was on one, was she there at the same time as you?

I remember Lenium Shampoo for dandruff. The place where the hairdressing competitions were held was the Top Rank Dale End. We used to go to Simpson's hairdressers on the Parade Sutton to be trained for competitions. I think there was another shop in Erdington. Competitions were also held at Penn's Hall. I never liked doing them I got too nervous.

Thanks for the link Other Half. I had forgotten about beer it was used in the salon I worked at as a setting lotion. We poured it into a plastic dish and applied it with a sponge. The strange thing was it didn't smell of beer when the hair was dry. I also remember a hair tonic named Bay Rum. Corr this has set the old cogs going.

Wendy its nice to get the cogs whirring aint it Bay Rum (Pimenta racemosa)
Bay rum is obtained from the distillation of the leaves of Pimenta racemosa, a tree native to the West Indies. The bay rum tree belongs to the same genus as allspice, both members of the myrtle family (Myrtaceae). It contains a phenolic essential oil used in lotions and colognes. The fragrant oil superficially resembles clove oil, another tree in the myrtle family. The name bay "rum" comes from the former practice of distilling bay in rum and water. It is NOT consumed internally as in the highly intoxicating sugar cane beverage known as rum.... fellas fancy old spice on yer hair lol make a lovely picture perhaps it cures baldness as well now theres a thought ?

Been trying to thing of a few more hair products of the 1950's. There was Estolan, Brilliantine, Pomade and Silvikrin hair conditioner.

Wendy, thanks for reminding me of the venue for hairdressing competitions, it was the Top Rank, changed its name a few times since then.

Back