• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shampoo

Yes Judy 'Which twin has the Toni perm' do you remember? I used it too.
My step mother used to say rinse your hair in Borax if you want to be blonde. My hair was as dark as your grandfathers. I tried it, but I swear that's why I went grey early.

You remember that Mike,we used to be told if you eat your crusts,you will have curly hair,well,someone told porky's,I ate mine and went bald.

I still use Vosene Shampoo, it agrees with my hair. I think the dry shampoo was called Batiste. It was awful, hair felt like straw.

Our Mom always used to wash our hair in either Vosene or Loxene. It was always washed over the sink in the kitchen every Sunday evening with the sound of Sing Something Simple on the radio. When I was about 13 I discovered Linco, and I think you could buy it in a little brown plastic barrell :) I don't think you could get conditioner for your hair when I was little, but I think one of the first my Mom used was Alberto Balsam?

If you still wanted Linco, there's loads of it on ebay!

Jayell, you certainly brought back memories, l was a blonde and always rinsed my hair with a mixture of half water half peroxide, mom said it made it shine,also l used sugarwater everynight when l rolled my hair in dinkey curlers as tight as l could stand it....so tight sometimes l could hardley move my head talk about medieval torture.....my mom had the poodle cut and perm at Lewis's.....mom always had her hair plaited and wrapped around her head for years, her hair was very long...well one saturday morning she took off to town never said a word to anyone and came back with the poodle perm took twenty years off her l loved it ....dad did'nt even notice it untill the next day and was'nt pleased because all the long hair was gone....what is it about you men and long hair...Brenda

Oh Yes Brenda my perm was called 'Bubble cut' I had forgotten all about that. I was twelve years old. My hair was long and chopped off for this new perm. The school I went to were furious and my step mother was called in to see the headmistress. I have a photo of myself with this perm and I look awful.

Judy I think they were two the same. I remember years ago when laquer had to be used to keep those boofants [is that how you spell it] in place and I was told to use boracic powder to remove it. It was awfull laquer in those days wasn't it. Mike my mom used to always say to eat my crusts I hated that part of the bread but now can't get enough. Jean.

Can't remember the shampoo I used as a girl but my mother always bought calomile flowers from the chemist, soaked them in boiling water and used it as a rinse - I think it was to keep it [hair] blond. I think it worked as my hair is winter white now - infact I have been called a 'colliflower head' - curly white hair - not nice!!!!!! Miriam.

I used to go to Maison Vivienne on Soho Road when I was about 16. My friend Jean Thomas used to work there. In those days there were no back-washes, you had to lean over the basin and hold a small towel over your face to stop the water getting in your eyes! Setting lotion was put on and then your hair was set on rollers or pin curls a net put on and you were put under a hood dryer. The whole process seemed to take ages.

A girl at my school had lovely hair and she said she used beaten up egg yolk as a conditioner.

Sounds very posh Judy. Does anyone remember a really 'posh' hairdressers opening on Colmore Row...1950's called 'Greatorex', hope that is the correct spelling. I went there once and felt like the bees knees.

Judy, speaking of backwashes at hairdressers these days. I read that it is a dangerous practice because it can cause a stroke. The pressure on the back of the neck is not good, plus leaning back in the manner. Anyone else heard this?

Hi Maggs

No Maison Vivienne wasn't posh, just an average local hairdressers.

I remember Greatrex at 27 Colmore Row, and I went there a couple of times to have my hair cut . My auntie worked in the Grand Hotel just along the road. I still have the price list - I am a hoarder, I know don't say it!

Judy

Yes Maggs, I heard that the pressure on the back of your neck can cause a stroke, and always feel wary of that if I feel uncomfortable at a backwash.

Judy, fancy having those company cards after all this time. At least I could see how to spell Greatrex. You are no more a hoarder than me. My surname should have been squirrel. If ever we move house we will need the biggest skip made. I can't remember the hotel, I bet there is photo of it on the Forum. It sounds posh too.

Judy I was surprised how many things my mom kept when I went through her two biscuit tins. I should have kept them not knowing I was going to be on the internet and join a forum. Jean.

Yes Jean, it's amazing how little things that you keep come in useful some day! I don't throw a lot away as I bet if I do, I want it again!! I wish I had kept more now. I bet your Mom's things would have brought back memories.

Greatrex,I have a feeling it was still there until recently,or that could have been the shop that sold false arms and legs ( can't spell the proper word ).

Do you mean a "Surgical Appliances" shop Ray! I don't think there was one in Colmore Row, but I do remember one somewhere in town but can't remember where. I was always amazed at the things they had in the window!!!

How did we go from shampoo to surgical apliances?.It was there judy, right next to greatrex,opposite the 3a bus stop.About 5 years ago one of them was still there,I'm sure it was.

Perhaps you are right then Ray. I seem to remember a surgical appliances shop somewhere but not there. I think the one I remember was perhaps near the Cinephone cinema, was that in Bristol Street?

The cinephone cinema,I had forgotten that place bab,never went there, they used to show artistic continental films,you may guess, I am not artistic,my favourite film was Howard the Duck.

Robert I remember hint of a tint shampoo and yours rings a bell. Patty would probably remember though as she was a hairdresser and a blooming good one at that. I would only ever let her cut my hair. Jean.

Does anyone remember a bottle of powder stuff (in all colours) that had like a dip stick in it and you just rubbed this colour powder on your hair. I used to have ash blonde! It brushed out the next day. I wish I could remember what it was called.
Wendyp

Wendy I used something like that once and I got more on my face and clothes than my hair maybe it was the same stuff. Jean.

Back