• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Selly Oak Waterworks

Heartland

master brummie
Wednesday's Birmingham Mail highlighted the former Birmingham Corporation Waterworks Building at Selly Oak and at the same time brought to the surface the exasperation felt by researchers in the way some listed buildings are described. This is the present description for the building.

BRISTOL ROAD 1. 5104 (west side) Selly Oak B29 Selly Oak Electricity Sub-Station to rear of No 659 SP 08 SW 11/6 II 2. Circa 1890. Tall brick and terracotta building with stone dressings, in a Gothic style associated with Chamberlain. Seen from the road the building appears as very tall version of a 2 storey-ed French Gothic Royal Chapel, raised on a high and on a rectangular plan. The south-east front (short side) has a deep flight of steps leading up to the portal with window above, flanked by buttresses. The top floor has triple group of lights set in pointed arcade of cut ornamental brickwork. Steeply hipped tiled roof with terracotta floral bracketed eaves cornice and terracotta finials. On the east return elevation a gabled staircase tower abuts the entrance front with stepped lights on the east face, followed on the top floor or "clerestory" by a tall pointed blind arcade of 3 bays with cut brickwork and ashlar shafts, rising from a weathered string. Projecting from the basement and ground floor is an apsed transept with stone dressed lobed arcaded light, terracotta eaves and a steep tiled roof curved to bow of apse. Lower single storey transept wing off south-west side.

The listing is a reflection of the narrow viewpoint adopted by English Heritage (Now Historic England), which is interested in the architectural detail, but not accurate facts about why the structure was built.

Permission to build this supply had been granted by an act of 1870.

I photographed this interesting building whilst putting together the Birmingham Industrial Heritage book.

2500502.jpg

Whilst it did become a sub station, the original purpose of the structure should have been included by now. There are all sorts of facts that have been ignored.

The building was finished in 1879 and held a Boulton & Watt steam pumping engine that sent water by mains to Hagley Road and Monument Road reservoirs to supplement the growing needs of Birmingham.

Details of the opening are recorded in the Birmingham Daily Post July 30th 1879, when it is mentioned that the pumping station was opened on the previous day, Tuesday 29th, July.

The 2nd Edition 25 in plan shows the original form of the building and the location of the chimney.

Selly Oak1.png

Last edited:
Yes it is a shame that there is such an architectural bias. Also that the social history seems to be added in comments by contributors and placed away at the bottom. In this case by Wendy Pearson whose comments are well worth reading.

Unfortunately, Historic England and a few of the other building preservation societies are (over) run by architects, in the very same way as museums are by archaeologists. Most architects I have met seem to live in their own heads and are utterly blinkered to anything other than the architectural styling.

While I appreciate the fact that industrial architecture gave the country its industrial identity, most of these building are far more that the structure in itself.

The contents are rarely mentioned and the lives of the people who worked there are almost non-existent. Its the great man theory of history at work again.

I have had a similar problem with a waterworks building and contents I am campaign to save.

Which waterworks building could that be? There are several nearby associated with different waterworks companies.

Yes that is an interesting building with steam engine as well, at least it was there the last time I saw it

This earlier view shows the Wyrley & Essington Canal, the pumping station (right) and the now demolished waterworks

2500406.jpg

It wasnt until around 1870 that the powers toSelly Oak pumping station.JPG be allowed a well to be sunk in Selly Oak. After the Elan Valley was opened in 1904 it was retained as a standby. It was capped in 1920.

Yes that is an interesting building with steam engine as well, at least it was there the last time I saw it

This earlier view shows the Wyrley & Essington Canal, the pumping station (right) and the now demolished waterworks

View attachment 136148

Do feel free to pop in for a look around on Friday between 10 and 12:00. Best contact us first as the owners are about to do some renovation works

Last edited:
Following up on the Selly Oak post, I looked back over some notes made from the Birmingham Waterworks collection in Birmingham Archives:

11th Jan 1878

from Martin and Chamberlain

Selly Oak Well

In accordance with your instructions we have after a consultation with Mr Gray made a series of reductions in the engine and boiler house now proposed to be erected at Selly Oak. These reductions do not affect the estimate for the foundations of these buildings which we still place at the sum of £1500. the result with respect to the remainder of the work shewn in our drawings is that we find that a sum of £900 can be taken from the estimate as originally forwarded to you ad our estimate therefore will be in addition to the foundations, the sum of £3880 instead of £4780

Engineer reports estimate based on prices of the tender by messr John Barnsley and Sons.

These notes confirm the architects as Martin & Chamberlain and the builder as John Barnsley & Sons.

Back