• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

Well I don't know when they were cleaned up, I left in March 1972, but returned to work in the centre of Birmingham, in the late 1980's. It was all clean then, if I remember rightly, although St Martin's was still black, or at least dark grey. It's easy to see why people still think Birmingham is a grimy city - they probably only see old photos, and it did look grimy then.

Love that photo of Colmore Row Stitcher. I can remember catching my bus home at various times in my life from the stops shown at that point near the statues(7 Gillott Road and 9 Quinton) shown on the photo. That would be in the late 50's/early 60's.

Judy

Hello Jayell, my earliest memories of Colmore Row are just a couple of daytime visits to the model shop, (forgot the name) with my elder brother when I was a child.
Then I made plenty of visits for a sandwich and a coffee at the tea hut near the bus-stops after working the doors all over the place when I was over eighteen. It was almost every night in Colmore Row or alternatively at Alex's behind The Crown on Hurst Street for a pie and a coffee. Ooh happy days.

In Stitcher's photo the one-way system has already been adopted as Colmore Row is one way but there is still a roundabout in Victoria Square. At some stage, and I don't know the date, the system was altered so that traffic went anticlockwise round Victoria Square which was the way that most of us will remember. Also I remeber that the traffic lights worked on an all stop all go system so the buses from Colmore Row would race the buses from Congreave Street then have to merge with the traffic from Hill Street into Paradise Street.

Hello again Jayell, am I correct in thinking that Stephensen Place is on the right and Corporation Street on the left.

Fascinating photo Big Fella. That taxidermist on the corner had plenty of merchandise outside the shop! When I grew up my parents had a hotel and we had a couple of Stags Heads( just like those hanging outside the shop) in the hallway!!! I always found them a bit scary. I wonder if anyone bought the camel?

Judy

Fascinating photo Big Fella. That taxidermist on the corner had plenty of merchandise outside the shop! When I grew up my parents had a hotel and we had a couple of Stags Heads( just like those hanging outside the shop) in the hallway!!! I always found them a bit scary. I wonder if anyone bought the camel?

Judy
Poor little Camel, it meks ya wonder what folks was thinking about in those days ??

I managed this pub in the 90's. I've got a lovely photo of it. I'm trying to sort out how to upload. I did it once now I don't know how.
Jojo

Phil, it says New Street, Five Ways, Hagley Road, Bear Hotel.
A post card depicting Birmingham's modern public transport of the day. I am unable to say where it was taken, but looking at the bus it could be New Street, Pype Hayes or Hagley Rd. I can't quite make out the other destination.

Phil

01/01/2012. I hope this is the correct photo.

BearwoodBusosTheBearHotel.jpg

Thank you Carolina for the photo with the steam trams. This was puzzling me on Stitcher's Postcard as I thought that the trams ran straight along Corporation Street not doing a loop around the Square.

In answer to Morturn, there were many steam tram routes built in Birmingham 1882-1886. They were replaced by overhead electric c1900.

Snow Hill..jpg SNOW HILL.
I have seen a similar picture on the Snow Hill thread but I have posted this one here because it is a postcard.

The Lord Mayors Procession..jpg
The Lord Mayors Procession, once again I know someone who will give us a rough date of this one.

Back