• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

Thisview is from the corner of New Street in the late fifties. The Rotunda was built here.

Attachments

• City High St - New St Top of Bull Ring 1957.jpg
    City High St - New St Top of Bull Ring 1957.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
Paling - now there's a name from the past - probably gobbled up by Philip Green or one of his forebears?

Maurice

If you use the search button there is all the information and location under the highway.

Even better than the search button, I've just dug out my copy of Images of England, Castle Bromwich-Castle Vale-Shard End, compiled by Peter Drake and Marian Baxter. On pages 87-89 are the self same images posted by Dave M, along with a pretty comprehensive history of the mill. A few pages on are several images of Park Hall, too, along with another pretty comprehensive history.
In case anyone is interested the book is published by Tempus Publishing Ltd, The Mill (appropriate),Brimscome Port, Stroud, Gloucestershire GL5 2QG. £9-99.

Ian

Last edited:
This Mill post has highlighted the usefulness of this forum. Many years ago I used to buy old photos and brochures about Brum and the surrounding areas. I bought a small book about travelling around Warwickshire. It gave train and bus times along different routes. Inside it, I found a loose photo of the mill so I posted when I came across it. A few days on and now we know something about it and the owners and where it was. Amazing.

Sospri, its amazing to look at these pictures because I keep seeing names I had forgotten. I also look at the people because I feel sure I will recognise someone one day.
Trevor.

I'm sorry I do not have a date for this picture of Warwick Road Acocks Green.

Attachments

• Acocks Green Warwick Rd Spread Eagle 1900.jpg
    Acocks Green Warwick Rd Spread Eagle 1900.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 13
It is a lovely picture and obviously a bit earlier than this one of Warwick Road, which is date stamped 5th May 1907

Maurice

Attachments

• Acocks Green Warwick Rd Dolphin Inn 1907.jpg
    Acocks Green Warwick Rd Dolphin Inn 1907.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 12
I was born in Acocks Green but of course it was awhile after these glorious pictures were taken and my first memories are of a more built up shopping area. It was always Lakey Lane for the general shoping and Acocks Green Village for shoes and clothes, a walk around Woolworths where mom used to get the broken biscuits and it was into town for a big spend on Co-Op divy day.

Although I spent the first 24 years of my life in Birmingham, there are vast areas of it which are a complete mystery to me! Apart from the Greet brickworks and Tyseley Station, Warwick Road was one such main thoroughfare that I knew next to nothing about.

Apart from that little fleapit cinema, can't remember its name, which frequently showed the same double programme of "Slave Girl" and "Hellzapoppin"! The kids in there made so much noise that you couldn't hear the soundtrack and the manager would often come down and tell us all to shut up otherwise he would curtail the showing and throw us all out. As we all knew both films backwards, I think we only went in the expectation of hearing the manager's outburst!

Maurice

If I remember correctly Maurice, the cinema nearest to Greet was The Tysely.

I think you're probably right, Trevor. It was not a very big place inside and, I think, more or less on its last legs in the late 1940s.

Maurice

Jamaica Row in the 60s.

Attachments

• City Jamaica Row 1964.jpg
    City Jamaica Row 1964.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 13
The hustle and bustle of City life in New Street. I would imagine not long after the beginning of the 20th Century.

Phil

Attachments

• City Waterloo Bar New St City.jpg
    City Waterloo Bar New St City.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 15
This one is Hurst Stret in the early fifties.

Attachments

• City Hurst St 1953.JPG
    City Hurst St 1953.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 12
All that is legible on the back of this picture is 'Fox & Goose' and what may be Stetchford.

Attachments

• Washwood Heath Bromford Lane 1932.JPG
    Washwood Heath Bromford Lane 1932.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 17
Reckon the all in white policeman must have been put there for the photo, where is the traffic he is directing? Certainly won't be the tram - that's at it's terminus and will set off away from him.

A comparison of days gone by in New Street.

Attachments

• City New St 1901 .jpg
    City New St 1901 .jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 10
  • City New Street c1930.jpg
    City New Street c1930.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 10
  • City New Street to Town Hall 1955.JPG
    City New Street to Town Hall 1955.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 12
This picture of Corperation Street was taken in the early sixties. Lewis's is on the left hand side, and just look at all the shppers.

Attachments

• City Corporation St 3.JPG
    City Corporation St 3.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 13
all those shoppers seem to be watching a fire brigade turntable escape ladder behind Lewises there are two fire engines and an ambulance, I wonder what was going on.

Mike, the turntable ladder is extended above a demolished building. The photo is too late for it to be war damage so perhaps there was a mishap on a demolition site??

I have come across this postcard of Bull Street, Birmingham. The postmark looks like 1916 but it is not very clear.

Attachments

• City Bull St c1900.jpg
    City Bull St c1900.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 10
Notice that despite the presence of Fire Engines and Ambulance the traffic is still moving. I cannot see a Policeman but I have no doubt one is there.
Unlike today where the road would be closed for hours, Incident tape all over the place and knee deep in Police cars. As from now you also run the chance of being prosecuted if you photograph the incident and include a policeman, past or present, in the shot. ( So beware of photos of tramps and bagladies, you never know).
Also Fire Engine sounds so much better than Appliance. When I was a kid that had medical conotations to do with hernia support.
The photo quality is great. The lady on the top deck of the bus is clear enough to be recognizable. Thanks and Keep em coming.
I would date the photo in the fifties, also sometime in the summer by the floral print dresses.

Last edited:
Back