• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

School servicing Latimer Street in 1900-1910s?

Ls48029

knowlegable brummie
Hi there,
A little known branch of my family appear to have moved to Birminghamd and based themselves in Latimer Street almost exclusively from approx. 1901-1939. does anyone know which school children living in that area might have attended? is it fair to assume the school(s) is/are no longer standing now?
Thank you very much indeed in advance- apologies for my complete lack of local knowledge, this is a new area for me in terms of the geography of the family and I have really found this site useful in gaining a little insight into the lives of these people.

St Thomas' School on Granville St wasn't that far away but there were others. Below is a map and then a link to a thread about the school with photos...

0 - Latimer St.jpg

Hi there,
A little known branch of my family appear to have moved to Birminghamd and based themselves in Latimer Street almost exclusively from approx. 1901-1939. does anyone know which school children living in that area might have attended? is it fair to assume the school(s) is/are no longer standing now?
Thank you very much indeed in advance- apologies for my complete lack of local knowledge, this is a new area for me in terms of the geography of the family and I have really found this site useful in gaining a little insight into the lives of these people.
Hi, I lived in Pigott street for ten years, where Latimer street joined Pigott street there was a school for up eleven year olds called Pigott Street school. If you search on this Forum you will find it.

I lived at 7/114 (pronounced as 7 back of 114) Latimer Street in the late 50s, early 60s and I went to Bristol Street Infant and Junior School. I am certain that the school would have been there in the early 1900s, but nothing remains now of that or Latimer Street.

Below is a photo I found of Bristol Street School a while ago but the link I used doesn't work now! The photo was taken on 4 December 1950.

In 1961 I went to George Dixon's Grammar School at Five Ways, which also now doesn't exist.

1672927773775.png

Hello David, I went to Bristol Street school in the late 1950s and early 1960's.
Was Mr Woods the headmaster?

Hello David, I went to Bristol Street school in the late 1950s and early 1960's.
Was Mr Woods the headmaster?
Hello Bob, The name sounds familiar but I'm not sure. I think there was a Mr Walker as well. My older sister was there as well so I can ask her if she remembers.

Thank you all very much indeed, this is really interesting. I'll ask the question but with little hope atached iI dont suppose anyone knows if admissions registers for these schools still exist?

Thank you all very much indeed, this is really interesting. I'll ask the question but with little hope atached iI dont suppose anyone knows if admissions registers for these schools still exist?
there is a good chance that they do....your best bet is to contact birmingham library...the archives dept on the 6th floor

lyn

Back