• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sayings, legends and customs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what you mean, and thanks again for the kind offer.

Me too Carolina. Funnily enough people generally still seem understand It. One I also still use is "Bob's Your Uncle". Couldn't even guess where that originated. Viv.

aa.jpeg
A gentlemans game, I used to play 5 mornings a week when I was a night driver with my black cab. I usually played at Harborne but did sometimes play elsewhere.

Well I never knew that. I still say silly Billy now, especially to my grandson, whose name is Billy!

I think we all grew up hearing these things and just accepted them not knowing there was usually a valid or good reason hehind them.

ccc.jpeg-----mju.jpeg

I wanted to join a Morris Dance Group for the excercise but I allowed Sheila to talk me out of it.

sh.jpeg
i knew this one because it was discussed some time ago by a quiz group I used to belong to.

Hi Stitch,

the other explanation for 'loo' that I heard was that it derives from the French word 'lieu', meaning 'place'. As in polite society, you'd ask 'where is the place, please?' rather than, 'can you tell me where the bog is?' Sounds doubtful to me, though.

Don't knock Morris dancing - I thought the same as you until we started to get a local team to perform occasionally at our music club, and it's quite a spectacle and good entertainment. Not that I'd ever think of doing it, of course...too dangerous for a start.

Big Gee

I agree with what you say about Morris Dancing Big Gee, I wouldn't know about the Lieu one but they all conjure up a bit of interest.

My wife always said to me that she found "Morris Dancing" sinister and oddly dark???? I never could myself but just recently an old friend said exactly the same.!!!
paul

vbx.jpeg
I knew about the right to light but I did not know the full story.

I remember seeing a plaque re Ancient Lights on a wall in New John Street near the junction with Newtown Row, opposite the Newtown Palace Cinema, it was in an alleyway between two buildings, it fascinated me as a child when I first saw it.

Someone down the road from us invoked this law when a neighbour's Leylandia got out of hand. I think he won his case, too.

Big Gee

Remember 'woe betides you if ........" (Not sure if the spelling's correct). Probably not used much today as it sounds too much of a threat by todays standards. Viv.

Didn't know that Stitcher.
I have a few on an animal theme., all pretty well commonly used. I use all of them but not generally in the same sentence!

'never look a gift horse in the mouth'
'hold your horses'
'until the cows come home'

Viv

Look what the cat's dragged in. Ha Ha.
Seriously though Viv, the origin of some of the things that our parents used as every-day sayings for years is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back