• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Saltley / Duddeston & Nechells Area

Hi I wonder if there is anybody you know in this queue.

During the fuel shortage in Winsor St gas works Saltley 1951

Image9_Winsor_St_Saltley_1951_z.jpg

Stars

Hi Carolina
Bless you for those kind words of encoragement. I like the photos you have posted. But what i want to know is, Where have they put those babies while they use their prams
to fetch coke & coal in and did they wash the prams out before puting the baby's back in them lol.
Stars

Here is an old one of Gosta green.
I love this one, notice the hand cart up against the wall

Image2_Gosta_Green.jpg

Stars

Nice photo's Carolina. This thread is looking more interesting now.
well done with all the re-posting and new posting you and others
are doing.

Regards stars

lovely pic carolina and stars...

stars i am going to save that one and look at it more closely..bet there is lots going on there..

Here are a few re-post of lost photos and a few new of the area.

nechells-longacre2-late1950s-chris-historicalresearchblog-creativecommons.jpg
Nechells_Park_Road2C_1952.jpg

I just love that Vauxhall on the right

Reginald_Rd_Saltley_A_2.jpg

Removing the last gas lamp in Gosta Green and Duke St

Gosta2BGreen2BDuke2BSt2BRemoving2Bthe2BLast2BGas2Blamp.jpg
5063Reginald_Rd_Saltley_2.jpg

Regards Stars

Re-posting a few more lost photos.

Nechells Place, Saltley 1953

Image5Nechells_Place_1953~0.jpg

Nechells Place, Saltley 1966
Image3_Nechells_Place_1966~0.jpg

Stars

Hi I have seen a photo on the forum of this playground, only it was empty
This photo shows it full of kids playing. It is Lawford St, Vauxhall 1928.

Image2_The_kids_in_Playground_Lawford_St_Saltley_1928.jpg

Regards Stars

Stars it is Lawford St Vauxhall the park was on the corner of St.James Place and Vauxhall Rd. Dek

Hi Dek
It is on a photo as Lawford Street recreation ground, 1928 Saltley. Perhaps the photo's wrong. or perhaps the boundry changed later.

regards stars

Stars The caption is wrong its a mile or more from Saltley It was my local park I spent many hours playing there 50s.Lawford St had been demolished by then I can only remember a peck where it used to be. Dek

From a clipping i was reading.......Wilfrid Barwick, a butcher, was robbed and murdered near the four mile stone on the Coleshill Road. The culprits were two soldiers, named John Hammond (an American by birth) and Thomas Pitmore (a native of Cheshire) but well known as "Jack and Tom," drummer and fifer in the recruiting service here. They were brought before the magistrates at the old Public Office in Dale End; committed; and in due course tried and sentenced at Warwick to be hanged and gibbeted on Washwood Heath, near the scene of the murder. The sentence was carried out April 2, 1781, the bodies hanging on the gibbet in chains a short time, until they were surreptitiously removed by some humanitarian friends who did not approve of the exhibition. What became of the bodies was not known until the morning of Thursday, Jan. 20, 1842, when the navvies employed on the Birmingham and Derby (now Midland) railway came upon the two skeletons still environed in chains when they were removing a quantity of earth for the embankment. The skeletons were afterwards reinterred under an apple-tree in the garden of the Adderley Arms, Saltley, and the gibbet-irons were taken as rarities to the Aston Tavern, where, possibly, inquisitive relic-mongers may now see them.

This old picture has been on before but wiped. Anyway it's very old and not sharp but possibly it is one of the most important photo's. It says a view of Saltley but is pretty clearly Nechells Place and is complimentary to the photo on post #42. It says 1860 but who knows. The view is looking up the Nechells Place hill and can be compared with the 1890 map ref. included. On the map the house on the right has gone but if you look closely you can see the entrance from the road where it was. On the photo there is no gasometer up the hill at that time but the triangle at the bottom is there with early figures on it...maybe waiting for a horse bus...or just posing. There is no sign of Cato Street at this time but the railway should be running up the incline from the left. Possibly it's there and one might be able to discern a ridge. If the railway is not there then this is a very early photo indeed; predating the railway would make this one of the earliest known pictures of people. Bottom left there is a little green and a path and a few dwellings and these can be seen on various maps of that area. Maybe the little green was the last vestage of 'Nechells Green' to dissappear. The road bottom corner right goes to The Gate Saltley and crosses the Rae and canal and railway. It does this by Saltley Viaduct now but perhaps then it was by a couple of bridges and a level crossing. There would have been a manor house and gardens behind the photographer at this time...too bad he did not turn around and shoot the other way also.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...d=10095&ox=1098&oy=1782&zm=1&czm=1&x=177&y=67

Attachments

• Nechells Place 1860.jpg
    Nechells Place 1860.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 162
Re photo #46...how high was that slide ???? Kids were far braver in the old days !!!!

Margaret.

Back