• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Saltley / Duddeston & Nechells Area

Here you are
index.php

Greetings Carolina
The lad hanging onto the drain pipe on the bottom left of the Photo of 157 Inkerman St is me, Colin Tomlinson. The photo must have been taken in 1951. I actually remember a man coming out of his house and taking this Photo and he also turned around and took another facing towards the other end of the street but I have not seen that photo. It was only a few years later when playing football outside his house that I managed to kick the ball through his window.
Regards Colin

Greetings all
My uncle William Davis moved from Gt Lister St in 1962 and he went to live on the fourteenth floor of Severn Tower in Cromwell St Nechells untill his death in 1985. The following ten photo's were taken from Severn Tower by William prior to his death in 1985. The first photo is of Bloomsbury Library.Bloomsbury libiary 1.jpg

Great pictures Colin I did not know this area only passing through on the number 14 bus from Kitts Green to the city. Although I did work for a time in the office of A J Williams pressure die casters in Adderley Road. But of course quite a few of the ancestors where from those streets.

smashing photos there colin...hope someone can help with some of the street names...fraid im lost round that end...

lyn

morning john i agree with you..wonderful photos

colin do you have any like this of other areas or is it just duddeston and nechells you have..??

lyn

Colin, post 69-Charles Arthur street running across at the bottom,Thimble Mill lane across centre, High Park street in the centre with Railway Terrace at far end.
Post 72, thimble Mill lane running across left to right,Long Acre bottom left diagonally to top right,with Walter street coming in from left with BRS van going towards Rocky Lane/ Charles Arthur street junction.

Greetings Astoness,
I am afraid thats all I have of this area and any other because I think my Uncle gave all the negatives to Carl Chinn. On Carls site I have seen several Photo's of William's house in isolation in GT lister Street taken before he moved to Cromwell St and there would only be taken by a person living in that house. He was a camera collector also and he owned Lieca's with Lieca telephoto lenses hence the quality of the picture.

hi colin well im just glad that your uncle took these photos and thanks for the reminder about carls wonderful site i have with carls permission posted quite a lot of his pics on here...

thanks again colin

lyn

Colin

Great photos a good collection, as usual John is spot on with his identification of the two untagged photos.

Phil

Colin. I must congratulate, and thank you, for posting such wonderful photos. Truly great pics. Many thanks.

Greetings John
Thankyou for your time and information concering my uncle William's phot's. I have just finnished updating the photo's with the info you have kindly given. I would also like to thank everyone that has commented.
Regards Colin

And a big thank you Colin from me too , they are wonderful photos which ive not seen before .
ragga ............

Gt Photo,s Colin at a different angle a couple of them are really interesting for me as one of my old cars is on them.Post 69 Phil may be able to help with this one. What was the name of the pub on the corner in the photo and does anybody know what the large building was half way down Hyde Park St?? Dek

Hi Dek, the building is a school,don't know the name of it, Newtons on the corner,but I'm afraid I don't know the name of the pub.

Greetings Dek. If You tell me which post and what part of the photo you would like enlarged from the original I will try and do that for you.
Regards Colin.

Back