• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ryland Street

yes ok viv...although it could be mistaken for a nicklin photo i thought it was a norton one because of the colouring....thanks viv

Found him in the 1963 telephone directory Lyn.....couldn't find him before that date...., I wasn't 100% sure myself looking at the photo....it must late 1950's early 1960's....

The 1963 Kellys lists him at 98 golden Hillock road, as Aston Lad says. But in 1962 he is at 21 Ryland St. In 1964 he has disappeared

Hi mikejee i had it as wordworth road at the top of goldenhilick road which was just off the goldenhilock road

Hi there, I was looking to see if anyone remembers the Ray family who used to live in Ryland Street from the mid-40's until the late 50's - their names were Harry and Laura and they had two children Leslie and Mary. Harry passed away in 1955 but Laura lived on many years after as she went on to live with her daughter Mary when she got married.

Hi Lyn
Could you imagine opening up a shop these days and start hanging your meat out in the street. I got a feeling you may just recieve a visit from the public health. It's enough to
put you off your Sunday roast.

Stars

It's funny how shops in Europe can still show meat and fish on display in the open air though

A while ago but a couple of questions about the photos post #1.

Photo no. 8, the corner with the Oxo & Persil ads, would it be the corner of Ryland St and Essington St (opposite corner to photo 6)?

Photo no.10, Crown Stores, would that one be corner of Ryland St and Morville St?

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks.

Back