• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Hello, im trying to find out some information for my granddad, with trying to help him get a army number for my granddads grandad he served in the 1/8th Royal Warwickshires reg, his name was John Thomas Billiard, heres a little info 22nd August 1915. Age 22. Husband of Lilian Billiard of 11 Staniforth St. Birmingham. IV. J. 5.
if you can point me in the right direction to help me get his army number or how to that would be brill thanks dan

Hello, im trying to find out some information for my granddad, with trying to help him get a army number for my granddads grandad he served in the 1/8th Royal Warwickshires reg, his name was John Thomas Billiard, heres a little info 22nd August 1915. Age 22. Husband of Lilian Billiard of 11 Staniforth St. Birmingham. IV. J. 5.
if you can point me in the right direction to help me get his army number or how to that would be brill thanks dan

Hi Daniel,

If you go on to www.ancestry.com you can find out this information. His number is 1764

Phil

Hi Dan
When I needed more info about my granddad I contacted the regimental museum at St Johns in Warwick, they were very helpful.
Katrina

i just want to say a big thank you! to everyone!, your help has gone a long way, my granddad is over the moon, thanks for all your time, much appreciated!
and phil b thankyou ever so much for the pictures i cant thank you enough, and mhemery thankyou for that lovely picture to.

Hi Dan

John Thomas Billiard of the 1/8th Royal Warwicks is remembered on the Birmingham Gas Board Department War Memorial. The memorial is located on the Bowling Green of the Hollyfield Social Club Woodacre Road Erdington Birmingham. The staff there will I am sure be pleased to let you in to see it. He is also remembered in The Birmingham Roll of Honour and the Hall of Memory in Broad Street Birmingham.

Regards

Tony

Terry, my g/father william charles coates was a stretcher bearer in the RWR...after the war he was also sent to Ireland 1920?? this is all l know..could you possibly have any more info on him...Brenda

Terry, my g/father william charles coates was a stretcher bearer in the RWR...after the war he was also sent to Ireland 1920?? this is all l know..could you possibly have any more info on him...Brenda

Hi Brenda

I found a pension record to William Charles Coates who served in the Royal Warwickshire Regt., No. 14738 he was born in 1877 and lived in floodgate street.

Have you any more info i.e. service number on medals etc

Terry

Hello Terry,

I've been reading through this thread off and on, and it seems you have been able to help quite a few people - so, I wondered if you could help me too. Do you by chance have anything in your records about a William Howell, my granddad. The only thing I know about his WW1 service is that he was injured, and lay on the field for 3 days before being found. By that time gangrene had set in, which resulted in him losing the lower part of his leg . At some time (could be result of 3 days lying in the feld, or after his return home) he contracted TB and spent much of his time at the sanatorium in Yardley Green. Though he also married, had children, and had a job.

I have looked at the Medal Cards and there are lots of William Howell, some identifiable with net of kin, address, or something, but many are not. DOB: 7 Oct 1897. Lived in Tilton Rd. (previously called Kelynge Rd.?). I assume it was a Royal Warwicks Regiment that he would join. Also assume he might have had some sort of pension/disability award?

Could you have a mooch through your records to see if you can find anything at all about him. I would be so very grateful.

Millie

Last edited:
Millie

Had a quick look. My records are only those that are on line. I cannot find any info. We need a service number and that can be found on medals if you have them or if they are somewhere in the family.

Terry

There is a book just published by Andrew Hamilton and Alan Reed, it describes the Christmas Truce of 1914, and it finds the RW's firmly in the centre of things. I am going to put the details in the Book section of the Forum. But just in case you all missed it I thought I'd give you a nudge!!

There is a book just published by Andrew Hamilton and Alan Reed, it describes the Christmas Truce of 1914, and it finds the RW's firmly in the centre of things. I am going to put the details in the Book section of the Forum. But just in case you all missed it I thought I'd give you a nudge!!

Hi Di

I have the book. Yes a battalion of the RWR was involved in the Christmas truce and a detailed account was given by the famous cartoonist Bruce Bairnsfather

Terry

My Grandfather served with the RWR and was stationed in Scotland!, as part of the 15th battalion.

How could i find out more about the background and activities of the battalion?

Hi badpenny.

The 15th Battalion RWR was the 2nd Birmingham Battalion and served in France, Belgium and Italy. In fact I am pretty sure no battalions of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment served in Scotland during WW1.

Do you have a name and service number and it may be possible to fine further info

Terry

Millie

Had a quick look. My records are only those that are on line. I cannot find any info. We need a service number and that can be found on medals if you have them or if they are somewhere in the family.

Terry

Thanks for looking Terry,

Sadly no-one within the direct family has any info; & I've no idea whether anybody in extended family would have his medals - can't think why or how they woud acquire them.

Thanks for trying anyway - it was just a faint hope there might be something.
Regards,
Millie

Hello Terry,

thank you
Badpenny..

QUOTE=terry carter;537466]Hi badpenny.

The 15th Battalion RWR was the 2nd Birmingham Battalion and served in France, Belgium and Italy. In fact I am pretty sure no battalions of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment served in Scotland during WW1.

Do you have a name and service number and it may be possible to fine further info

Terry[/QUOTE]

Wendy, I run a tribute site to WW1 called

Aston & Erdington Past & Present Tribute To The First World War

I was browsing when I came across the article above I have the full copy of this I wish to share. I haven't replied to an article before, I hope I get it right and you get to see it. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aston...1320727?ref=hl

Regards

Mick

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the link Mick. It looks like an excellent page which I will be following thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot see the picture, illumina 3, but just thought I would mention, that my great uncles, Benjamin Guest and Ralph Lees, were in the Royal Warwicks, be interesting to see if they were on the picture, I would not recognise them, but my aunt, who is still alive, would

I am currently doing a bit of work on the WW2 activities of a gentleman named Francis H. Liddell - he commanded a battalion of the Shropshire Home Guard.

Frank Liddell had a distinguished Great War record, serving with the 15th Battalion R.W.R., one of the Birmingham Pals units. He receives distinguished mention in "Far Bugles", an autobiography by the Battalion C.O., Colin Harding, to whom he was adjutant in 1916. At some stage he won the M.C. and was later awarded a Bar, presumably with the Royal Warwicks.

I am wondering if any member could point me towards a record of the citation to those awards. Haven't found anything in the London Gazette. Should appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Chris

Hello Chris

Its been a long time since I wrote the Birmingham Pals book and cannot remember if I stated that F H Liddell was awarded the MC and Bar or did Colin Harding state it in the book 'Far Bugles' ? His MC was gazetted on 1st Jan 1918 and he was attached to the General List. No info on the bar though.

The Birmingham Daily Post on Friday 8 June 1917 in the column Military Appointments from the "London Gazette"

"Staff Capts.: Temp. Capt. F. H. Liddell, R. War. from adjt., and. to be transferred to Gen. List, vice Capt. D. A. F. Needham. R. Fus. (April 17)."

I would say his MC's were not for military actions but as important work at Headquarters.

Terry

p.s mention of his marriage from Bham Daily Post 12 Feb 1918

Attachments

• 1  F H Liddell.jpg
    1 F H Liddell.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 8
Is there any way of finding out when someone enlisted for the RWR in World War One?

Does their service number indicate a possible date or place of recruitment?

Hello Badpenny

I have checked the Medal Index Cards on Ancestry and found no Royal Warwickshire soldier with the surname Smith and a service number 1275. What is the info you have?

Terry

Hello Terry,

The details i have are on my late mothers birth certificate, where he is listed as 15th battalion RWR Pte 1275.

On the back of the certificate is a stamp dated 16Jan1919 Infantry Record Office N9 7 District Warwick, which i would assume came from Budbrooke

and probably on her fathers demobilisation.

They would have travelled down from Scotland where he was serving and described as an engine fitter.

Interestingly, in post #109 the attachment refers to a Pte T Edwards and his number is 1274, i wonder if his details and dates might help?

regards Badpenny..

Back