• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Thank you Colin,

I was wondering how to include all the names. We have a file from the War Graves Commission and I'm posting the photo of the bronze plaque here. It is readable when downloaded and magnified. I also have photos of all the graves but that file is too big to upload. I will get that typed out and added soon.

ST MICHAELS CHURCH WW1 MEMORIAL (6).JPG

Looking for any information on my Great Uncle, John Thomas Billiard, known to the family as Tommy. He was with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment and was killed in action on 22nd August 1915

He served in the 1/8th Battalion The Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Territorials whose drill hall was known as Aston Barracks. Now roughly the site of Aston Villa Shop and players car park.
He went overseas on 22 March 1915. If I find any more info, I will get back to you.

Terry

Hi, Could anyone help me with this please?
I sent off for the WW1 Medal page that had my Great Uncles name on to see if it held any clues to his service in the war, because there is no Service or Pension record for him.
The only information on the page was this:-

Regtl. No. GS/107875
Rank, Pte. Pedlingham, Charles Harry
3. R.War.R. Pte. 57811
1. R.War.R.
43. R. Fus. GS/107875

Is it possible to work out any of his service from that please ??

hi lindy have you found your gt uncles medal card on ancestry ?? because it is there..he received the british and victory medals

lyn

Last edited:
Hi lyn, Thank you for your reply :encouragement: Yes, I have found it on there, I was just curious to see if the actual page from the National Archives, held any more information that would help establish what he did in the war.
The only difference is that is has 3. 1. and 43. before the regiments, so I'm thinking that maybe those numbers relate to the battalions he served in and might therefore point to some of his service movements ? I'm hoping someone that is familiar with war records might be able to help.

Royal Fusiliers (taken from the Long Long Trail web site)
43rd and 44th (Garrison) Battalions
Formed in France in May and September 1918 from Garrison Guard Companies, for duty at the five Army HQ's. Manned by troops who had been rated as medically unfit for front line duty.

Terry

New to the forum. Hope I'm posting in the right place. I'm trying to shed light on the fate of my uncle, Harry Mills (b.1892), Pte 16/1946 14th RWR. He was k.i.a. 30/8/16 and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial. The family has always thought this was him but reading Terry Carter's Birmingham Pals I note a record of one H Mill 1946 14th RWR who was also k.i.a 30/8/16. I gather that he was attached to a Trench Mortar Battery and is buried in Flatiron Copse Cemetery. H. Mill seems not to be listed in the Birmingham Roll of Honour and I can find no other service record for him. I wonder whether he is in fact my uncle and that the misspelling of his name on the Flatiron Copse grave may have led to him also being recorded as missing in action. Any info gratefully received.
David

Hi David, Welcome to the forum, can you supply any more information with regard to Harry, parents, address, DOB and also confirm if the information you are working with is based on any original documentation or is it just family legend/assumption.
A quick search shows over 200 H or Harry Mill/Mills as casualties in WW1, including 3 from RWR and many others from the midlands so any further information may help with identifying the correct one.

Colin

From my visit to Thiepval I thought that the names on the Memorial are for those who have no known grave which would explain the confusion over these 2 names.

Could it be that with the 's' missing from his name on the Flatiron grave it was thought to be a different person as the same service number is used on both records.

Thanks Colin, I don't have any physical records for Harry Mills, nor even a photograph -- he had been dead for half a century before I was born and none of his personal effects came down to my side of the family. What I have is pieced together from family knowledge (UK and Australia) and my own research. He was born in 1892, eldest son of David & Susannah Mills who were living at 61 Green Lane, Bordesley in 1891. The 1911 census has him aged 19 working for LNWR and living with parents in Lea Village, Yardley. He married in 1914 to Phoebe Lloyd and had two children, Rose & Harry. She remarried in 1922 and started another family.
I took his regtl. no from the medal roll index: pte, 16/1946 14th RWR. Family have visited the Thiepval Memorial. I discounted what I took to be the two other Harry Mills who were in the RWR: Harry Mills, pte 267056 1/7 btn (KIA 19/6/17), enlisted Oldbury; and Harold F Mills, pte 1147 14th btn (KIA23/7/16), whose story is in Birmingham Pals (p.250).

I notice this morning, on War Memorials Online, that a lady has posted a picture of a beautiful memorial to 14, 15 and 16 Bns, RWR that she took in St Martins in the Bullring.

My great uncle, Ben Guest was in the Royal Warwicks. he joined in 1914 went through every battle on the western front, including The Somme, was wounded twice, and was transfered, in 1917 to the R.A.F. Wonder if he is that picture, thing is I dont know what he looked like.

Hi Terry, If I can be cheeky, do you have anything about Percy Cresswell 481 L/Cpl 2nd Batt RWR Killed 25 Sept 1915 at Loos. Also his cousin, Private Henry (Harry) Francis Cresswell, 19163 MGC, (Formerly 990 RWR) Killed 29 Sept 1917. I have searched for both mens service papers but they appear to have been among the ones destroyed in WW2, but anything else would be very much appreciated. Cheers cresser.

Hi Cresser

Apart from the information you already have, I have been unable to find any more to add to it.

There was one small item in the Birmingham Daily Post published on Monday 11 October, 1915. However the paper published wrong information for as we all know he was killed on 25 September 1915.

Attachments

• Cresswell bham hist forum.jpg
    Cresswell bham hist forum.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 34
Hi Terry, No problem. Thankyou for taking the time and trouble to look for me, and appreciate the image posted as well. Thanks again and keep up the very good work and help you have been doing for others. Cheers Cresser.

I thought someone might like to see this photo, of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment (or part of it at least), taken on the 28th March 1916. My great-uncle, Harold Francis Griffiths is in the second row (3rd from right). He joined up earlier that year, so assume they are all newish recruits and, like him, about to be sent to France.

For some reason I am unable to open this image - any ideas anyone?
Katrina

Please check the notice at top of page relating to lost images.

BernardR

For some reason I am unable to open this image - any ideas anyone?
Katrina

hi katrina as bernard has posted there is a notice at the top of the page relating to lost images...although it does not state when the site was hacked which was late 2011 any images that were on the forum prior to that date were lost...quite a lot of us have slowly been reposting them where we can so if there are any lost ones you would like to see just make a request on the appropriate thread and if the original poster is still a member and has the image they may repost for you...

hope this helps

lyn

Last edited:
Hi I am trying to find out some detail about my relative who served with RW's. His name is Arthur Brush and became a Corporal I believe. I have his Penny. I also understand he had Brothers serving also. Any help would be appreciated

Hi I am trying to find out some detail about my relative who served with RW's. His name is Arthur Brush and became a Corporal I believe. I have his Penny. I also understand he had Brothers serving also. Any help would be appreciated

do you have anymore details ie his date of birth and where born and living when he joined up...his records maybe on ancestry..

lyn

If he was the Arthur Brush who served during WWI there is info on ancestry.com. will try to attach if possible. Also try St Johns Museum in Warwick.
Arthur Brush
Corporal
Regiment:
Section:
Birmingham Roll of Honour 1914-1918

Arthur Brush
Regiment or Corps:
Regimental Number:
Other Records:
Search for 'Arthur Brush' in other WWI collections

Arthur Brush
Military Year:
1914-1920
Corporal
Medal Awarded:
British War Medal and Victory Medal
Regiment or Corps:
Regimental Number:
Previous Units:
1/5th Bn. R. War. R. 200359 Cpl.
Other Records:

Vie

Arthur Brush

Birth Place:
Balsall Heath, Birmingham
Death Date:
10 Aug 1917
Death Place:
France and Flanders
Enlistment Place:
Birmingham
Corporal
Regiment:
Battalion:
1st 5th Battalion-Territorial
Regimental Number:
Type of Casualty:
Died of wounds
Theatre of War:
Western European Theatre
Other Records:

this could be arthurs medal card...says he is a corporal and in the warwicks....i cant find his war records so they were most likely one of the many thousands of records destroyed during the bombings of ww2..

lyn

30850_A000238-00333.jpg

Back