• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Royal Warwicks

GEFF

Geff
My brother went to France soon after the war started in 1939, he was in the 8th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regt. he came home via Dunkirk. He was then moved to the Yorks and Lancs Regt. I am having trouble in finding anything about the 8th after Dunkirk. Was it disbanded and why? Is there an Army Historian on the Forum who would know. Geff

my older brother Eddy also went to France with the Royal Engneers, and was one of
the 330,000 who got away at Dunkirk, he was then posted to Iceland.Battlions were
usually disbanded because of insufficent men to make up the numbers. Men were moved around the different county regiments. A battlion normally consisted of a
thousand split down again in to 5 companies of 200. Bernard(based loosely on the
Roman army).

Geff,I feel sure that the 8th, was a Territorial Battalion, the BEF was made up of over 70% Territorial's, so after Dunkirk would have, reverted to that roll, and men then moved around the various Regiments coming up to strength for the war. The 1st Battalion Y&L Rgt was in 15th Brigade, 5th INv Div, the 2nd Battalion Y&L Rgt was 14th Brigade, 6th, Inf Div, if you contact the: Yorkshire &Lancashire Regimental Museum, Central Library & Arts Centre,Walker Place,Rotherham,S65 1JH. 0170 336633. they will help you further. Paul

When war was declared my dad and his mate went to a recruiting office to join up in the Warwicks.
They were told "They're not doing it like that this time" and were told to go home until called for.
Dad was an Automobile Electrician by trade so, to his intense disappointment, he never got into the Forces, He was put on aircraft production instead.
I think going into the Home Guard cheered him up a bit though.

Back