• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Oak Hockley Heath

Sparkhill Lad

master brummie
I came across this lovely plate and would like to know a little more about it if possible.
Looks to me like an old pub that sat back off the main road in Rubery, going down towards Longbridge, but I could be wrong.
Looks just like an actual painting and not a transfer.
Could it have been a gift as on the back an inscription reads:

"To Marjorie & Len
with every sincere good wish.
November 1953"

Any idea's

IMGP2205.jpg

Looks like a Pub or Club to me but no idea where it is/was.

It does look like The Plough public house which was just off the a38 Rubery bypass but has been demolished and is now housing, hope this helps.

There was a pub called the Longbridge Inn at 1836 Bristol Road South, Rubery. It was on the left hand side on the corner of Ashill Road travelling towards Rubery from the Austin. My hubby thinks the picture could be that pub, but I must admit I can't remember it too well, I think it burned down eventually and apartments have been built on the plot.

There looks like there's a signature on the plate: on the right hand side beside the tree, it could be a clue??

Last edited:
Before I moved to Brighton, I lived in Northfield and Rednal most of my life, can't remember any pub looking like this.

It looks a lot like one of those pubs you see on the way to Stratford.
My first thought was The Plough which I think is in Hockley Heath.

There was a pub called the Longbridge Inn at 1836 Bristol Road South, Rubery. It was on the left hand side on the corner of Ashill Road travelling towards Rubery from the Austin. My hubby thinks the picture could be that pub, but I must admit I can't remember it too well, I think it burned down eventually and apartments have been built on the plot.

There looks like there's a signature on the plate: on the right hand side beside the tree, it could be a clue??

Although there are some similarities to the Longbridge Inn I do not think that it is the same pub, as can be seen from this photo.

Attachments

• Northfield Bristol Rd South Longbridge.jpg
    Northfield Bristol Rd South Longbridge.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 35
It looks a lot like one of those pubs you see on the way to Stratford.
My first thought was The Plough which I think is in Hockley Heath.
Not The Plough Monkspath it was much smaller. The Red Lion(?) was red brick before being turned into what is now a Harvesters.

Maybe the Royal Oak outside Hockley Heath not sure.

The Royal Oak has gone through various changes and is now an Hotel. I will look for an earlier photo as I though it had been red brick.

the-oak-image-1-531662629.jpg

The [Old] Royal Oak Hockley Heath.

Last edited by a moderator:
can anyone make out the artists name on the plate maybe then we could research it...just a thought

lyn

It MIGHT be M. Tubb

plateC.jpg

I think the Royal Oak is too far from the road unless the railing on the plate are poetic licence!

Janice

wel mike
i have srutised it and i think it,s T MAYBRO; Looking through a magnifying glass it looks very much like a faded and worn out y on the end of it
so the human eye would give you a problam in seeing it thats my opiniun Alan , Astonian;;;

Royal oak Stratford road Hockey heath, might have changed name and I know the colour of the place changed to Green and cream.
Passed it last weekend on way to Stratford.

I came across this lovely plate and would like to know a little more about it if possible.
Looks to me like an old pub that sat back off the main road in Rubery, going down towards Longbridge, but I could be wrong.
Looks just like an actual painting and not a transfer.
Could it have been a gift as on the back an inscription reads:

"To Marjorie & Len
with every sincere good wish.
November 1953"

Any idea's

View attachment 92477It's the Plough Inn, Rubery. Unfortunately no longer there.

It is The Oak, Hockley Heath. hopefully photo attached, click on the thumbnail and you can see all the details i.e the chimney breast on the outside of the building, far right.

Attachments

• the-oak-hotel-restaurant-hockley-heath.jpg
    the-oak-hotel-restaurant-hockley-heath.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Back