• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Flying Corps Royal Air Force WW1

Looking at them again, it appears that he enlisted with the RAF on 27th Jun 1918 (units and dates are listed), transferred to the RAF reserve on 21st Nov 2019 and then discharged on 30th Apr 1920.

He then enlisted with Royal Warks Reserve on 11th Apr 1921 (on the first of the army pages he mentions he was previously in the RAF) and served for 85 days, being discharged on 4th Jul 1921.

So he didn't go from army to RAF.

Looking at them again, it appears that he enlisted with the RAF on 27th Jun 1918 (units and dates are listed), transferred to the RAF reserve on 21st Nov 2019 and then discharged on 30th Apr 1920.

He then enlisted with Royal Warks Reserve on 11th Apr 1921 (on the first of the army pages he mentions he was previously in the RAF) and served for 85 days, being discharged on 4th Jul 1921.

So he didn't go from army to RAF.
so he was born in 1900 so i wonder why he didnt join the forces in 14/15 , I know he was a skilled man he was a welder and sheet metal worker , would that have some bearing on why he didnt go and fight ?

so he was born in 1900 so i wonder why he didnt join the forces in 14/15 , I know he was a skilled man he was a welder and sheet metal worker , would that have some bearing on why he didnt go and fight ?Discharge , does that mean that he had a medical issue ?

If he was born in 1900 he would not have been old enough in 1914/15 to enlist. I think it was 18 - so looks as if he joined almost as soon as he could.
The form is headed "90 days emergency service" and he served for 85 days so it seems to me his duty was done. He was no longer needed.
See here for info on 1921 Defence Force

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
If he was born in 1900 he would not have been old enough in 1914/15 to enlist. I think it was 18 - so looks as if he joined almost as soon as he could.
Hi ...erm i was just under the impression that kids lied about their age to get in the army and fight but as you say he joined as soon as he legally could bless him, and the war was still ongoing in the April of 18 when he joined albeit until November.

i guess youre right , how are you anyway , hope you are keeping well , you are a trusty servant to this amazing site , thankyou so much xx

The form is headed "90 days emergency service" and he served for 85 days so it seems to me his duty was done. He was no longer needed.
See here for info on 1921 Defence Force
ohhh no loinger needed eh mmm...well he was a skiled man and i guess he was needed back in industry in Bham so ye tha kind of makes sense.

As I understand it they were only required to sign up for 90 days maximum. Then they were discharged.

oh Janice thankyou for this info , so basically he ticked the box like a lot probably did at that time , im guessing it was compulsory .

It's a small world. Just like A Sparks on the previous page my grandmother's brother was a RFC engineer based at Hendon during WWI and sadly, like MWS's grandfather's cousin, he died in a flight crash. In his case, during the testing of a Handley Page bomber near the aerodrome.

Sorry about your great uncle @John L
My grandad was not involved with anything like that and lived on until the early 1950's, so in time to live through another war!

I have a copy of my great grandfather's RFC/RAF service records, but I don't understand what the abbreviations mean. I'm keen to find out where he served and what he did in WW1. Can anyone help please?

Attachments

• 1918 Frank Matthew Bennett - RFC record - GBM-AIR79-1131-00058.jpg
    1918 Frank Matthew Bennett - RFC record - GBM-AIR79-1131-00058.jpg
    593.3 KB · Views: 16
I have been trying to find out about my Grandad for some time now , i knew he was in the RAF in ww2 & we thought he began in the RFC but a chance remark by my Mother before she died lead me to the ROYAL NAVY AIR SERVICE & that opened things up , i knew he was was involved with air ships and found he was at Pulham air field for a time before being amongst the first to go to the newly formed RAF in 1918 , so the RNAS may be worth a look if anyone else hits a brick wall.
Thanks for the help & good luck.
Ogri

I have a copy of my great grandfather's RFC/RAF service records, but I don't understand what the abbreviations mean. I'm keen to find out where he served and what he did in WW1. Can anyone help please?
This page might be of some use.

Back