• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Coronations : Birmingham response

There were a number of pictures in that old paper but they were so badly damaged it was impossible to do anything with them, still those couple stirred a few memories which is what it is all about.

King George VI visited Queens Road, Aston, on December 12, 1940 after bombing. The picture was in a large group of images scanned from old newspapers and originally placed in the 'old evening mail pics' thread but were lost in the 'hack attack'.
KingGeorgeVI.jpg

The other picture mentioned in the caption is amongst a group of pictures which stir a few memories... Here

img124.jpg
Decorations adorn the length of New Streeet in May, 1937 for the Coronation of King George V1.

img125.jpg
A commemorative column was also erected in Victoria Square.

FEF8EFCA2973823F4489186A9B30F3.jpg B6DC6869F77278118DFC6413C3B3CA.jpg B9E7AA9750F4F4F2AC8D886E7E84.jpg

On 15th February 1952 King George V1's funeral took place at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle.
The King had died in his sleep from a coronary thrombosis, aged 56; he had been ill for some time as he suffered with lung cancer.
Following his death on 6th February his coffin rested at Sandringham before lying in state at Westminister Hall from February 11th.
He was then moved to Windsor Castle, where his funeral took place.

Last edited by a moderator:
img404.jpg
From what little I can make out this is Croydon Road, or the people of that road celebrating King George V1 and Queen Elizabeth in 1937

Hi val ;
yes i can recall old robinsons polishing and providing those red seats because we was just along the rd from him and frenchie
and diggers the news agents we had releis up robbos entry ;
we was up cromwell terrace next to astons the cake shop and thompsons when we came along to go t the coffee shop we seen old robbos chairs and we made comments to each other regarding of his settng out of all his tables and chairs and your rossettes beleive it or not ;
our tables and chairs and provisions was supplyed jelfs catureing and crocery hire of park lane aston cross ;
i am wondering where about was you where you lived at that time ;was you down the big gully by the cobblers and mrs coxs
did you have a brother with curly hair when young ;
our street party was on lichfield rd ; and all our direct neibours was from out of twenty familys living up the terrace
which had two big pillars standing either side of the entry it would have ben listed on the cenus electrol roll as cromwell square
the familys was as follows ;
the gaskins ; the jarratts ; the bannisters with jesus saves on there house wall by there front door in sea shells
the newmans [ the old mother grand mother ] to olive and morris newman] then the branstond . Then us ; then the marshalls ; then the gammages ; then the seabournes . Then there was sheldons ; then the craddocks ; then the young daughter mrs newman ;
then the goughs ; then the sharps ; then the lears ; then thebrowns ; then the trowmans then mrs barnes we all the familys
got the tables and chairs and the food singing and dancing on the lichfield rd after a couple of hours all the selected family went down to the coffee house just pas the gully and almost on the corner to the vine pub ;
my aunt and uncle frank lived there at number 10 park st ten doors from the vine
my releis and cousins there was the marsdens val ; and christine ; and sheila ; have a great day every body astonian

I like the Fallowfield Avenue photo in #65 - they are all in their coats on what I remember was a cold breezy grey day which has been previously mentioned. In the Jakeman Road photo #64 they are almost dressed for summer - they must have been hardier people compared to those in Hall Green !

img617.jpg
People of all ages clambering all over James Watt's statue in Ratcliffe Place , in fact any perching place above ground level was used to get a glimpse of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip as the Coronation Parade passed by.

A couple of Coronation photos that are also in the 'old evening mail pics' thread.
Sycamore Rd Aston (click on the pic for full size)

I lived on the Beeches Estate in Great Barr and we also had flags strung across the street as in the photo above.
Our flags were put up a week before the event and I remember at night listening to them flapping in the breeze.

We liked our flags way back then.
Parked cars can just be seen in the Alma Street photo – but a place was found to lay the tables. Looks like they have eaten most of the spread.

The reign of Elizabeth II was about to start. Rationing had ended and the 'good old 1950's' were under way.
Alma St Aston 1953

Last edited:
300774_111416635630815_100002874363614_59598_2006853901_n.jpg
Not in this one myself(i was only 6 months old),but i think my mom took this snap of our neighbours and friends.

Wheelwright Rd Bromford. I'm the one walking across from the left. We lived in the houses on Bromford Lane which can be seen on the far right of the picture.

Wheelwright Rd Coronation 1953.jpg

how fantastic to have that certificate rob...thanks for sharing it with us...dont know if you have already seen them but if you go to the bridge street west thread there should be lots of pics of the street...i will check this thread later to make sure i have re posted the ones lost when the forum was hacked..
just noticed you have four the thread rob....
lyn

Last edited:
I have a picture of our street party somewhere. I'll have a search. I just about remember everything about the actual day. We were all very excited because my big sister and her husband had bought a .....TELEVISION with a very small screen, but in those days that was the state of the art.
My sister prepared a wonderful spread, and all our family sat around this tiny screen (in a BIG cabinet) and watched our Queen crowned.

Not only were we celebrating our new sovereign, but it was the chance of a wonderful family day.
I went to two street parties - my sister's street - then - in Appleton Avenue Great Barr, (many moves since, and now in Aussie) and my street, geographically outside the Birmingham Forum !

Our school presented us all with a tiny dictionary with a little strap across with a picture of the Queen mounted on it. I still have this.

Hazel, Ann & Graham 2.jpgHazel, Ann & Graham.JPG 52.jpg Cranborne Road School held a pageant for the coronation, this was my costume ,it was red and white. I am the shorter one..loved the day..

hi

With the Diamond Jubilee the Olympic Games Id thought Id KO with a stunning
picture from the Coronation 1953 from the Phylis Nicklen collection.
I hope to add more.

Mike Jenks

Attachments

• city-VictoriaSqCouncilHou_tion-1953.jpg
    city-VictoriaSqCouncilHou_tion-1953.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 43
Wonderful photo thanks for posting it Mike where would we be without Phylis's wonderful collection.

I am watching the armed forces celebration for the Queen's diamond jubilee...very stirring!!

Hi

It seems her work is forgotten and lost in the University Files. After a fair ammount of searching I found
the 446 files in a study that lost its funding during abolition of the Cameron Osbourne cuts.
How long the file will survive is up to the funding's.
Lots of people pop up but her work is awe inspiring
Just a few more her work has Lowery type Quality
The latest web site isBirmingham's Buildings and Urban Topography - ePapers Repository
The last time I posted these sits they were taken down its free no Copy rights has long
as its not for profit

Mike Jenks

Attachments

• b6-69099002.JdRD3PSb.jpg
    b6-69099002.JdRD3PSb.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 40
  • b7-81048093.hfithk9l.jpg
    b7-81048093.hfithk9l.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 36
  • city-VictoriaSq2CouncilHouse-1953.jpg
    city-VictoriaSq2CouncilHouse-1953.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 35
Mike - Thanks so much for the link to the website of Phyllis Nicklin's work. That's going to keep me happy for hours!

Judy

I have a picture of our street party somewhere. I'll have a search. I just about remember everything about the actual day. We were all very excited because my big sister and her husband had bought a .....TELEVISION with a very small screen, but in those days that was the state of the art.
My sister prepared a wonderful spread, and all our family sat around this tiny screen (in a BIG cabinet) and watched our Queen crowned.

Not only were we celebrating our new sovereign, but it was the chance of a wonderful family day.
I went to two street parties - my sister's street - then - in Appleton Avenue Great Barr, (many moves since, and now in Aussie) and my street, geographically outside the Birmingham Forum !

Our school presented us all with a tiny dictionary with a little strap across with a picture of the Queen mounted on it. I still have this.

We had a TV "on the knock" for the coronation, (the TV industry must've loved that coronation !).
I remember a cold wet day and a lot of people sitting watching the ceremony. Every so often a head would pop around the door and say "anythin' 'appenin ?) and there would be a chorus of "Nnnoooo !"

We had a TV for The Coronation and the neighbours came in to watch, (through a glass darkly in those days). It must have been my mothers idea as the concept of The Royal Family was certain to send my father incandescent with rage. He was arrested in Derby Town Square in the 30's for breaking the 2 minute silence with a placard which read "King George, unemployed, £30,000 a year, George King ,unemployed, £3.10s a week." Times don't really change that much.
However to return to the Coronation, we had a party on the Meadow Platt in Sutton Park for all the school children with Jelly,Ice cream etc and also Maypole dancing so I wasn't agin it at that stage.

011.jpgthe cafe at the bottom of carver st where we had our coronation tea-001.jpg

The photo on the right is the cafe at the bottom of Warstone Lane where we had our jelly fight for the Coronation as children. The picture on the left is the same corner, as it is today.

We didn't have a TV to watch the coronation either, but my dad was so upset that I had to go next door to watch it, that the following week he went out and bought a TV. it was a Marconi, and what a load of rubbish it was. Dad sent it back the next week, and went out and bought a Pye, which we had for many years.

Back