• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rogers, Edward a coalman

Bay

Brummie babby
Does anybody remember my grandad. Edward Rogers. He used to be a Coalman.Rogers and son. Think it was in Edward Road, Balsall Heath. He was a really hard working man. He used to have a big tin bath in his kitchen where he used to scrub the coal from himself,every night. I used to visit his coal yard and remember large scales where he used to weight his coal. He had a couple of Lorries and he wore a leather top and a thick leather belt to support his body. He used to sling his sacks of coal over his shoulders. I have fond memories of him.

A George Rogers (or in one case G.E. Rogers) is listed in the 1950s and early 60s at 73 Edward Road, its position shown below in red, in case it kickstarts anyone's memory
map c 1950 showing 73 Edward Road.jpg

Edward and his wife Martha are listed at 73 12 Edward Road on the 1939 register. On later ERs they are listed at 15 Balfour St and there appears to be a piece in the newspaper (22 Jun 74) about Edward. He is described as the last resident of Balfour St.

Just found this thread.
George and Martha were my Great Grandparents, I’m their sons Grandson.
Bay we must be related?

I have few photos of the coal yard in Edward rd which I’m happy to post online if anyone is interested?

Last edited:
Edward and his wife Martha are listed at 73 12 Edward Road on the 1939 register. On later ERs they are listed at 15 Balfour St and there appears to be a piece in the newspaper (22 Jun 74) about Edward. He is described as the last resident of Balfour St.
Yes we are related. Edward and Martha were my grandparents. I remember visiting their house quite often with my mother. My mother was their eldest daughter, Dorothy. I am her daughter. Your grandad was my uncle Ted, married to Joan. He used to work in the coal yard too. Your dad was my cousin, I remember him Teddy. How interesting!

Great photos of GE Rogers coal merchants. I used to visit him at the coal yard. Great memories. Thank you!

Yes we are related. Edward and Martha were my grandparents. I remember visiting their house quite often with my mother. My mother was their eldest daughter, Dorothy. I am her daughter. Your grandad was my uncle Ted, married to Joan. He used to work in the coal yard too. Your dad was my cousin, I remember him Teddy. How interesting!
I’m in fact Janes son so you were nearly correct, Teddy is my uncle.
I’ve heard many stories growing up about the coal yard and still remember Grandad (Ted) going out on his coal round when they moved out here.
I’ve still got the scales and coal bags in the shed which were more than likely the same ones that were from Edward road.

Last edited:
Oh…you are Jane’s son! My sister and myself used to meet up with Jane in our teens and go dancing at Victor Sylvester dance studio on Saturday mornings in Birmingham. we were good friends. She was my cousin. I often think about Jane. We lost touch in our late teens but kept in touch with what went on with the family. I’m glad you have kept the scales and coal bags. I remember grandad weighing the coal and the coal bags as I loved visiting him at the yard. I can remember his old house. I used to visit with my mother. He had a tin bath and nanny Rogers used to scrub his back to get rid of the coal. nanny used to work so hard washing clothes in the yard at Belford Street. Miss those times.

Back