• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Richard Francis Rowley, 11th Royal Warwicks

Chris_Baker

master brummie
I'd be grateful for any information from local press regarding Sgt Richard Francis Rowley, who was killed in France while serving with the 11th Royal Warwicks on 27 October 1915. Sadly it appears his service record has been destroyed and his entry in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission register is uninformative. Any snippets about him would be gratefully received.

Chris, have copy of a couple Birmingham News article regarding a Sgt Rowley of Northfield died as a result of a accident during a bomb throwing exercise, it's not a good copy but IM me your e-mail address and I can send you a copy.
He was due to be awarded the DCM.

Colin

Last edited:
Birmingham Weekly Post October 27 1915

During the night of September 26/27 Second Lieutenant James Stuart Thain, the Bombing Officer, and two of his men (inc. Rowley), penetrated the German wire but came under fire. Thain covered his men’s retreat with his grenades, including throwing from a standing position. For this and earlier good work Thain received an ‘immediate’ award of the MC – the first award of any kind in 37th Division. Unfortunately one of his men, Serjeant Richard Rowley, was killed four weeks later and died of wounds after being shot in the chest whilst practising bomb throwing. He left a widow and children at 60, Maas Road, Northfield, Birmingham, where he had been a fireman at the local Fire Sub-Station before joining the army.
Also born Wolvey, Warks. Enlisted Bham. Lived Northfield.
The battalion had been around Hebuterne on the Somme from August 1915. He is buried in Bienvillers Military Cemetery which was a village behind the front line.

Chris
Sgt R F Rowley Royal Warwickshire Regiment is mentioned in the 'Roll of Honour of Birmingham Men & Woman Who Gave Their Lives In The Great War'. So will be mentioned in the Hall of Memory Broad Street.

Tony

Back