• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Remembrance Day 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the Albert Hall Remembrance Service. Very moving, especially the Normandy tributes.
Saddened to see the ceremony of the drum alter, and the blessing of the drums, in memory 0f millions of allied service personal that gave their lives, and knowing that the drums were manufactured and built in Japan!! Previously the drums were always British built, not a million miles from Birmingham. To me it was like waving a Japanese flag in the middle of he ceremony. Eddie

Re: 2 moor from todays rememberenc Sunday .

smashing pics kenny...taken from the roof garden of the library i think...

lyn

Re: 2 moor from todays rememberenc Sunday .

Excellent photos Kenny. The shadows of people seem very poignant given the occasion. Thanks for posting. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Re: Rememberenc Sunday .

Excellent photos Kenny. Are the dogs military dogs? I ask because I watched BBC countryside yesterday, a special edition for Remembrance Sunday and they included a piece on the development of dog training in WW1 for tasks such as finding the wounded and delivering messages. Viv.

REMEMBERANCE DAY PARADS 9.11.14 028.JPGREMEMBERANCE DAY PARADS 9.11.14 024.JPGREMEMBERANCE DAY PARADS 9.11.14 022.JPGREMEMBERANCE DAY PARADS 9.11.14 019.JPGREMEMBERANCE DAY PARADS 9.11.14 003.jpgjust few photos of yesterdays rememberance sunday parade in birmingham...didnt take many of the parade but there are a few taken inside and outside the hall of memory

lyn

pic 5 is taken early in broad st..

Great photos Lyn. Looks like a very good turn out. Never noticed that cenotaph(?) before. Has it always been there? Just don't recall it. Viv.

Nice personal wreath Lyn. Do they always have dedicated areas for wreaths to be placed in regiments? That's such a good idea. There looks to be many. Viv.

REMEMBERANCE DAY PARADS 9.11.14 057.JPGlast one and a proud moment...my wreath with the 2 cards on alongside all the rest...GOD BLESS THEM ALL...

Lovely Lyn, pleased for you. I think the Hall of Memory has to be the best memorial too. Viv.

thanks viv...at first the wreaths from all the different regiments and services are placed by the mock cenotaph in centenary square and as soon as the service has finished they are all taken inside the hall of memory and the cenetoph is removed...it really is lovely inside the hall of memory...first time i have actually been in it...the wreaths are layed around all the side of the memorial inside...ive never seen so many..one lady was in floods of tears..

lyn

Last edited:
A mock cenotaph! Didn't think I'd seen it before. Looks like the Roll of Honour in the wooden case too. I think it all looks very fitting, and such a tasteful design. And you also realise the power of Remembrance Day in that lady's reaction. Viv.

lovely to see your pictures lyn
normally i never miss rememberance day we go to our local church in hopwas but this year mom unfortunatly was in hospital so i missed it
zena x

lovely to see your pictures lyn
normally i never miss rememberance day we go to our local church in hopwas but this year mom unfortunatly was in hospital so i missed it
zena x

so glad you like the piccies zena....will you send my regards to your mom and dad please...

great pics froth..i couldnt get any from my side and the sun was right in me eyes..the weather was very kind yesterday..

lyn

so glad you like the piccies zena....will you send my regards to your mom and dad please...

great pics froth..i couldnt get any from my side and the sun was right in me eyes..the weather was very kind yesterday..

lyn

That's why we moved to the other side

couldnt win really froth...if you stood broad st side could only see the backs of line up..stand symphony hall side and the sun was glaring but at least i could get a front view of the parade...great morning...felt a right idiot as i thought they had built the cenotaph since the last time i was that way lol

lyn

Last edited:
It's a convincing cenotaph, well at least from a distance. Never knew 'pop up' cenotaphs were used. Makes sense in B'ham where there's such a lovely memorial in the Hall of Memory. Great photos everyone. Viv.

Thank you all for the lovely pictures and links on this thread.
I didn't know about temporary Cenotaphs, pity it's not there permanently, but we do have the beautiful Hall of Memory. I went inside once, the atmosphere is so tranquil. The roll of Honour is on the plinth in the middle. I think they turn a page every day(?).
I'm so pleased about your Wreath lyn!
rosie.

hi rosie well i thought the cenotaph was a new build and i had missed out on it lol..but as you say we have the wonderful hall of memory..that will do us..have to agree with you...i felt a sense of peace inside..someone there did say that the page is turned every day...

lyn.x

We were in Birmingham city centre about midday on Sunday and was surprised at the number of people not wearing poppies.

I would hazard a guess at around 1-2% with poppies, this was after the main event but even so seemed very poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back