• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Remember Kayli?

I sell sweeties for a living and i know you have a brilliant sweet shop in BIRMINGHAM, great western arcade
mr simms olde sweet shop

he has hundereds of flavours and chocolates to die for.. remember Jamacian rum and raisin bar.. HE DOES IT..

among other old favourites.. jars, penny swets chocolate WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT??

SWEETLADY

I have been searching for Jamaca rum and raisin, I thought they had stopped making it, its my favourite, thanks for telling me, I'll be taking a trip up town to get some.

Had some Old Jamaica last week, it was on special promotion in Sainsburys and Morrisons..my husband bought loads..it was £1 a bar..

When I read the thread I thought it said Kayleigh.. then as soon as I realised what it was my mouth started watering..it was twice as potent as the fizzy cola bottles you get today..and of course your finger remained that orangey colour for days.. I remember sitting on the step with my friends sharing a bag..Happy days..

Nothing better than a frozen jubbly. Sour Apple sweets, candy cigarettes, Rhubarb & Custard sweets. Pineapple rock. Still available at Teddy Gray's Dudley and Cradley Heath Market. But no Jubbly's. Bring back the Jubbly.

Coconut mushrooms as well. half pound of pineapple rock is my treat tomorrow. Will get you some Sis xxx

Had some Old Jamaica last week, it was on special promotion in Sainsburys and Morrisons..my husband bought loads..it was £1 a bar..

When I read the thread I thought it said Kayleigh.. then as soon as I realised what it was my mouth started watering..it was twice as potent as the fizzy cola bottles you get today..and of course your finger remained that orangey colour for days.. I remember sitting on the step with my friends sharing a bag..Happy days..

Oh no I was in Morrisons yesterday, I could have got some, I haven't seen it for ages, my mouth is watering now, I will have to go get some.

I just googled old Jamaica rum and apparently they stopped making it in Britain 10 years ago, but it can be imported from australia, is this the same one that you can get from sainsburys.

Last edited:
They also have Old Jamaica in the Co-op £ 1.63 per block, according to the wrapper its a new range to an old recipe made in France for Cadbury Bornville

On stopping for lunch at a country pub in Yorkshire,the gaffer asked "would my children like some Burma star rock",which they did of course.
And sure enough,the rock had the Burma star ribbon colours all the way through,
He told me he had it specially made for the annual Burma star reunion.

Went to get a bar of old jamaica at the Co Op but they had sold out, I'll have to try Sainsburys tomorrow.

hi everygreen..you can still buy the jubblys...but they are much smaller than when we were kids....

heres a lovely jar of rainbow kayli or as some call it sherbert...

lyn

Talking about Jubbly's I found out the other day that Iceland stock them and they now come in coca cola flavour. As Lyn said they are so much smaller now but I always wasted the last bit as I had sucked out all the flavour and was left with a lump of ice. TTFN. Jean.

Talking about Jubbly's I found out the other day that Iceland stock them and they now come in coca cola flavour. As Lyn said they are so much smaller now but I always wasted the last bit as I had sucked out all the flavour and was left with a lump of ice. TTFN. Jean.

Used to do exactly the same with ice lollies as a kid Jean.

Thanks for the info that Iceland stock Jubbly's. I will have to get some. Pity that over the years, like many things they have shrunk in size

yeah off tomorra ,to get some jubblies ,for the grandkids .and one for meself of course.thanks for that .surprised.

hi everygreen..you can still buy the jubblys...but they are much smaller than when we were kids....

heres a lovely jar of rainbow kayli or as some call it sherbert...

lyn
Definitely Kayli in a pointy bottom bag and a finger to eat it with! mmmm yum
We always called Sherbert the one in the sherbet fountain yellow tube with a stick of liquorice to eat it with.

Anybody remember fruit salad and also blackjacks four for a penny' sometimes I used to go overboard with the fruit salad. If I hadn't spent all my pocket money I used to get a bobs worth , come to think of it I haven't spent all my pocket money this week can anybody point me in the direction of some fruit salad ?

Anybody remember fruit salad and also blackjacks four for a penny' sometimes I used to go overboard with the fruit salad. If I hadn't spent all my pocket money I used to get a bobs worth , come to think of it I haven't spent all my pocket money this week can anybody point me in the direction of some fruit salad ?

I certainly do and there were MoJo's at four for a penny too.

There was a chewing gum called Bazooka, it had a small cartoon strip in it of Bazooka Joe and a few other characters. One always had his jumper pulled up over his mouth.

Although I was into sweets and stuff my personal favorites were the penny specks Apples from Ted Hayneses the fruit shop

I certainly do and there were MoJo's at four for a penny too.

There was a chewing gum called Bazooka, it had a small cartoon strip in it of Bazooka Joe and a few other characters. One always had his jumper pulled up over his mouth.

Morturn I never thought of them , I remember Bazooka Joe quite well , mainly for the fact that I've said to one of my sons the English boys and men never wore those style of caps years ago . Now there are so many Bazooka Joe's running around Britain

Anybody from Warstock remember Heath's sweet "factory" down the back of bottom Flint's (just up the alley from the Record Shop)? In reality it was a lock-up containing a couple of sweet boilers.....and loads of wasps in the summer! Don't think health and safety would be too impressed these days......

Definitely Kayli in a pointy bottom bag and a finger to eat it with! mmmm yum
We always called Sherbert the one in the sherbet fountain yellow tube with a stick of liquorice to eat it with.
And sometimes there was a blockage in the liquorice and if you sucked too hard it would unblock and hit the back of your throat and even come out of your nose,lol but still loved sherbet fountains ,thanks for the memory

Loved the black jacks!

There was also those compressed sherbet lollipops. A round piece of concrete on a stick, rockhard, you had to grid it away with your teeth.

Back