• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Remember Kayli?

Dave Bath

master brummie
Does anyone remember that coloured powder bought by kids from sweet shops in a funnel shaped bag and you ate it by dipping a wet finger (or two) into the powder. Your fingers were stained for days! We called it Kayli (spelling?). It may also have been known as Rainbow Powder in some quarters.

Does anyone remember that coloured powder bought by kids from sweet shops in a funnel shaped bag and you ate it by dipping a wet finger (or two) into the powder. Your fingers were stained for days! We called it Kayli (spelling?). It may also have been known as Rainbow Powder in some quarters.[/quot

I remember it well. In the jar on the sweet shop shelf you could see stripes of all the different colours. Once in your bag all the colours were mixed up of course.

Dave - I loved Kayli and the little triangular paper bags we got it in. I only remember the yellow colour. Stained your fingers bright yellow!

Judy

Hi Dave
yes i remember Kayli .. we used to get about 5 different colours in that funnel

Brill link Langy.. They even do liquorice root ..been looking for that for a long time thanks

Last edited:
Hi Robert ..Yes I did and it was the worst tasting "pop" ever.. always turned out yellow or green.. lol

yes i remember the kayli , in jars in the sweet shop and they would use a scoop to put it in a paper bag and twist the bags .also do you remember the pop corn pretty colours in a long bag only cost threpence,chewing gum in a sack with string pull.sweet tobacco coconut, sherbet pips ,and red lips, everlasting toffee strips. oh them were the days .

i loved it and just licked my finger and dipped it in so my fingers were all colours! dont remember washing my hands first either...oops. still, i survived.

Yes. Remember Kalli - I now buy a sherbet with a licorice pipe to suck it through. Remember pear drops [looked like pear fishes] also a sweet [can't remember its name but it was yellow inside and red on the outside]
loved them. I thin I remember buying from from a sweet shop down Digbeth, also think I remember a pub called The Lamp- and Old Type Black and White beamed building. It has been quite a while!!!
Miriam.

Those ones you can't remember Miriam, were they supposed to be apples. I loved the yellow Kayli, but my tongue would be so sore after eating it. Palm banana split toffee was another favourite of mine, plus spearmint chews, they were about 2" wide and 4" long and bright spearmint pink.

Yes. Remember Kalli - I now buy a sherbet with a licorice pipe to suck it through. Remember pear drops [looked like pear fishes] also a sweet [can't remember its name but it was yellow inside and red on the outside]
loved them. I thin I remember buying from from a sweet shop down Digbeth, also think I remember a pub called The Lamp- and Old Type Black and White beamed building. It has been quite a while!!!
Miriam.

Are they called pineapple rocks?

There were yellow and red sweets called rubbarb and custard. But I think they were more stripey than red on outside and yellow in middle.

Bill - Pineapple Rock seems to ring a bell. Still buy Licorice Catherine wheels most weeks - I love 'em" Miriam.

Dave, was that we used to call spanish wood. It sort of shredded as we chewed. Didn't like it much though. Do you remember everlasting bars, also not very nice. Gosh our poor teeth!

Maggs, I'm not sure about the everlasting bars? It's a pity we haven't got pictures of all these sweets! Is anybody out there listening?

Dave I remember it as you said it was in a triangular bag and my finger stayed yellow for at least a week as it didn't wash off. Jean.

It is a pity we haven't got pics of these old sweets we used to have in the 50's. I think a lot of the 60's ones are still around, well the ones I remember my children having anyway. The everlasting bars were not very nice, sort of a tan colour thing. Goodness knows what they did to our teeth. Oh well, Dave, we still don't go around taking pics of sweets do we? Perhaps the adults of the future might be saying the same thing as we are saying now.

I sell sweeties for a living and i know you have a brilliant sweet shop in BIRMINGHAM, great western arcade
mr simms olde sweet shop

he has hundereds of flavours and chocolates to die for.. remember Jamacian rum and raisin bar.. HE DOES IT..

among other old favourites.. jars, penny swets chocolate WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT??

SWEETLADY

Yes Sharon I do remember the Raisin bar, in fact I mentioned it on the Forum recently. The advert of TV for that one was very good. I shall have to come and look at the sweetie shop when we are in Brum next time.

Maggs

YOU MEAN LIKE THESE PHOTOS?

seaside-rock.jpg

1624_600.jpg

wpb2e69c96_0f.jpg
wpec5ebc10_0f.jpg
wp390dc5ed_0f.jpg
wp602f703c_0f.jpg
wp59df90bc_0f.jpg
wp25d1dfe3_0f.jpg
wpcc830145_0f.jpg

Rock

100GMS

¼ LB
wpaad49e13_0f.jpg

Sour Apple
Rock

100GMS

¼ LB

wp1b743146_0f.jpg

Spearmint
Rollers

100GMS

¼ LB

wpc39200fd_0f.jpg

Strawberry &
Cream Rock

100GMS

¼ LB

wp23a80b0a_0f.jpg

Cherry
Pips

100GMS

¼ LB

wp917ae0ca_0f.jpg

Cola
Pips

100GMS

¼ LB

wp607e3cab_0f.jpg

Dandelion &
Burdock Pips

100GMS

¼ LB

AND SO ON YUM YUM

Pear Drop
Pips

100GMS

¼ LB

wpbdf51543_0f.jpg

Rhubarb &
Custard Pips

100GMS

¼ LB

Lol its not my shop - i wish

mr simms sweets shops have shops all over down as far as helston, falmouth, ispwich, romford colchester, and lots round strafford , stoke and newcastel area..

They are opening lots at the moment..

Try their exclusive toffe apples they are yummieeeeeeeeeeeee

There is also a little old sweet shop by the 'Back to Backs' in the city centre. When we came to look at the houses, we went in for a quarter of sweeties. They were all in jar's too.

Maggs

Back