• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Reason I havent been on for a time

Cheer up Patty, the internet has made the World a really small place.:wave:

I know postie and I see them on Skype, but I always get like this even after 17yrs silly isn't it. I can go anytime I want and they go from Brum now so it's easy. The money I have saved not smoking (4mths now) I can go every month if I wanted, it's just me being sloppy

Patty, I was thinking of sending you a message. Glad you are back, and I hope you still off the cough coughs. As for the family, with the internet and a bit of imagination they are only in another room really.

I know exactly how you feel Patty. My eldest son and his wife only live about 5 hours' drive from us but when they have been to visit and they leave everything goes flat and quiet and we feel low, just like you. I don't think it matters how far away your family live, when you're apart you miss them very much.

Glad you are still off the ciggies!

Judy

Hi Patty: Welcome back. Lovely photos. Great that they could enjoy the snow. You'll miss them as always I know.

Hi Patty,

My son is off to Uni in September .. he is only going to Bournemouth but I feel devestated at the thought of not seeing him everyday. Once he got his degree then he intends to live in Canada and it will be even worse then for me. god willing I will see him often.

How did you give up smoking ? .. did you use patches etc.. my friend tried to give up just after new year but went "cold turkey" .. she was on 60 + per day ... she failed after 3 weeks.. but admitted that she didn't "crave a fag" . she felt she had to have a fag cos of other people around her who were smokers ??!!:rolleyes:

Hi Pat it won't be long and you will be flying to Istanbull to see them. If you were to add the time in hours that you spend together it probably adds up to more than people like us whose family only live a stones throw away. Don't you dare get doing what you did last time they went back or I might be over to join you. Bye. Jean.

Hi Dianne I went to the Alan Carr clinic. It was good for me and you have got to want to give up it isnt magic. if you want I can give you a number, where does your friend live?

You went back to bed and took at tot with you [not Tony] and when I phoned you up you were right peed off [not up]. Jean.

Hi Patty,

I have heard of Alan Carr clinic... it has a high success rate but expensive I should imagine.

I gave up smoking over 12 months ago, I used the 24 hour patches , took seven / eight weeks to stop craving a fag ... never touched a fag since . My friend tried last year to give up smoking but she had really bad nightmares with using the 24 hour patches. as a consequence she decided to try without any smoking cessation aides this time.. If you could send me phone number of Alan Carr clinic then that would be great.

Thanks

Dianne x

Dianne it's 08003892115 it was the one in Quinton I went to but he has them all over. I payed £200 it was a 5hr session with about 8 others, you smoke while you are there about every hour you go to a room for one, then at the end you all throw your ciggies on a great big pile of them up the corner and it worked for me. I saved that money in no time and still put it away. I have not wanted one from then on, I think about them but dont crave one.

Re: Reason I haven't been on for a time

Jean you don't mean I was inebriated do you ?:D:D:D

Good to have you back patty, I thought you were on holiday, lovely photo's looks like he was haveing great fun in the snow.

Hi patty nice photos the internet makes the world smaller and as you say you can see them with the money you saved from the fags ..:)Did you read Alan Carrs book before you booked the clinic? probably cheaper but if the clinic worked for you its money well spent:)

Hi Patty,

Glad to see you back on the forum keep your chin up and congrats with the fags.:)

Lovely photos and in the 60's my mum was in your position having to travel to Belgium to see her grand kids. Here she is with two of them at that time, it won't be long before these two have grand kids of their own!

Graham.

I know how you feel Patty.:cry: Your little grandson is so beautiful.

Keep off the fags, I did it 2 years ago and don't ever think about them now, except when we are out and can smell them. I can't bear to think I smelled like that.:rolleyes: I used patches, I had strange dreams but Brian was in bed with pneumonia and I only had to look at him to know just how much I wanted them to work - and they did it was the best money I have ever spent.

Well done Patty giving up smoking. The photos are lovely.
It is so common for families to be split by a few thousand miles these days. As you know Jenny and and I both have our kids in Asia. But as you say the internet brings us so close. :)

Graham, does that mean you will be a great,great grand father before too long.:) Mo

Last edited:
I find it hard when my kids are in another part of B'ham, so I don't know how people cope

lovely little grandson in the photos

How strange you have picked up on this thread today, they have been here for 2weeks and are going home tomorrow. Demir is 5 now his birthday was yesterday, he is always here for that. We had a party and today he is off to his other granddads for another party, then back to Istanbul Sunday. It always manages to snow while he is here and thank goodness we had a bit last week so we could make the annual snowman. I will put some photo's on later as you all know I will be feeling sad bit down for a couple of days but it will soon go.
Yes i am still off the ciggie's I'm pleased to say 18mths now

Good you are back. Just loo forward to the next visit. I gave up smoking after 25 years shortly after my first wife died. I was smoking so many they made me feel ill. But its true , you need to want to give up. I worked part time in a pub when I did it, before the smoking ban came in.Stick at it.

Few more hope I havent doubled up
Whoops looks like I have sorry forgot what I'd picked

wonderful pics patty...:) what a cheeky little chap:)

thank you for sharing them with us all....

lyn:)

Thanks he is a bundle of fun, the house is so quite now. Glad it snowed though, we have made a snowman for the past 4 yrs it has snowed for him. He was 5 this year it's great he can have his birthday with us

Patty what a lovely time you all had. I have watched with great interest as you know your lovely little man is the same age as my two! They are such fun my grandsons other grandparents are in another country so it's nice to see how you do things. Well done for keeping off the fags we are proud of you gal!!

Back