• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

re-photographs

Hi Paul. Would you like me to look for the deceased brother, if so, do you know his name?

Barrie.

Just for interest, on the 1901 census, at 10 Stretton Road, Aston is a Piper Family.

John Piper 48. Mary Piper 50. Thomas Piper 18. Joseph Piper 16. Frank Piper 14. Harold Piper 8.

All born B'Ham with the exception of Harold who was born Dudley.

hello again barrie, have no info at all only the ypres memory, also could u please explain, c. sec, r.a.f
i thought the r a f was formed later. thanks paul. p.s. i do know grandad had a step-son by the name
of howard fisher morris, who served in the home gaurd, and was killed on duty in a german air raid
in victoria rd, around 1942, and was buried with full military honours. hope i'm not going off track here.

Hi Paul. The RAF was formed from The Royal Flying Corp on the 1st of April 1918. What "C" Section was I have no idea, but knowing the people on this site, someone will be along shortly to tell us. They are a mine of information.

As an ex soldier, I must admit that the date the RAF was formed does amuse me ( 1st of April )

Barrie.

barrie, sorry if im getting a bit out of sync, the info you gave me on stretton rd seems to be correct,
would it have been possible that all 4 brothers, thomas, joseph,frank, and harold, given their ages
served in the great war?.

Paul. It is possible, and I am in the process of searching their names. Will post again when or if I find anything.

Barrie.

Paul. All I have been able to find is a Frank Piper 268807 Pte Royal Warwickshire Regt, Killed in action 22 Sep 1917 Remembered at Tyne Cot Memorial.

This was possibly during the 3rd battle of Ypres (July 31 – November 6, 1917)

As I have been unable to find any army records for this man, it is impossible to say if he is your Frank Piper. As you possibly already know, two thirds of WWI Army Records were destroyed in the blitz during WWII, which does make enquiries difficult.

Barrie.

Listed in the National Roll of The Great War,
Piper F, RWR, killed Sept 25 1915 at Loos,
Piper F (Jnr) Hampshire Regt.
Piper H RWR,
Piper L (Mrs)
All living 5,Stanley Place, Tilton Road, Small Heath.
All with some service details. Could they be the ones.

Colin

Back