• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

re-photographs

smithy

master brummie
Hya all
many thanks for help in the past.
I have now managed to obtain this postcard/front and back
of our THOMAS SMITH.
Would love to hear any imput.
Initial information that he was a policeman, but I have every reason that this is not correct.:redface:
The police museum have informed me that this uniform is of a military nature.
The writing on the bottom in biro is fairly new and not done by myself.
Have found out that Steelhouse lane was not built until 1933/ish.

Thomas's military/ warwickshire reg no is 1595. Any help appreciated

There's a medal card for Thomas Smith Royal Warwickshire Regt No. 1595 on Ancestry

Shows he was discharged wounded 1917, cannot find service or pension papers but the name doesn't make it easy, there's hundreds

Colin

Hya Colin many thanks
Yes, we have that, I have couple of years ago got a researcher to do some work in London. We do know that his number is definately 1595.
Cost a decent bit and he couldn't find anything.

We know that Tom was born in 1897.
He was badly wounded at some stage and lost his leg and had lots of shrapnal ??

I have found out quite recently that he got the 3 medals I think they were called Pip Sqeak and Wilfred.

He did get a pension for the rest of his life.

hi all
Hate to throw a spanner into the works but the buttons seem to show the prince of wales feathers, and the swagger stick thin black points to the mounted troops.
regards
paul

Hya both thanks you so much for the information
Yes he could have been in the General hospital, will do some research on that point.

What would this mean a different regiment etc. will have to read up on this. could he have been in the warwicks and then moved at a later date ?

This is a picture of my husbands father, it was sent to his sister.
Sister being the Louisa smith I have been searching for. (emily louisa).
Her married name being Dodd.
It is important to me to get as much information as possible fairly soon.
All help is received with grateful thanks

Re: re-photographs

Hya all its been its been around 6 months from my previous post concerning the postcard from thomas smith to his sister emily louisa dodd of garrison st. View attachment 48307 Thomas is not on the 1918 absent voters list as he would have only been 20 is. He was born in 1897.
I am not sure this pic has turned out to be a very good copy. However, I do know he was in the 14th RWR 1595. He had shrapnel wounds in his chest and a leg He lost his other leg. I have recently read that the General hospital was a hospital for soldiers who needed new limbs. I have paid for someone to do some research prior to xmas and it was good however still no sign of any records for our thomas.
As I commented before, time is getting important for my husband to know about his dads army life as much as possible. He is the only son and he was born when both thomas and his wife were in their 40's after having several girls. I really would appreciate any help on the army front as I have read recently ancestry are not up to the s' initials as yet.

When you say that your researcher could not find anything, the medal card gives references to two medal rolls which will have more details. Did your researcher get those for you? They should have. It would also be worth checking the battalion war diary (assuming the medal roll confirms he was with teh 14 RWR once in France).

Hya all well its been sometime since I was last able to continue my search for family history.
My husband finally passed away and I did not manage to establish where he actually got his injuries in the first world war.

The family member I View attachment 67466View attachment 67467found just a few months prior to my husbands death and with whom I am in contact with has recently given me another picture to copy.
Neither of us knows who this is, but must be a family member as it is in her grandmothers family pictures.
Someone has written on the back this could be nans brother, and the address is the former family home prior to my husband being born. The family name is that of my husbands mother. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. thank you all in advance

I enlarged the picture, and the badge depicts a tank, surrounded by a wreath of leaves, surmounted by a crown. What intrigues me is his mode of dress. He is wearing a floral pattern tie, and the jacket seems to have white lapels.

Could it be some form of hospital clothing worn by soldiers recovering from wounds? I remember that blokes in the military hospital in Catterick wore a blue suit, with a white shirt and red tie.

It is the RTR cap badge 1917/18 chris, before this date tanks were manned by members of the machine gun corps, the photo shows a soldier in "wounded blues", the tanky's still kept the old 1914 soft cap.
paul

here's a foto of my grandfather,far right with left leg raised,seated in wheelchair.
i have no information on him, but i was told by my grandmother he was wounded on the somme.
can't make out the year on the foto. most seem to be wearing same uniform as in previous post.View attachment 68220

Hi Paul. Can't see the photo, when I click onto the link provided, I'm told its an invalid link. Can you re post please?

Barrie

yes barrie, they certainly do. by the way he lived for most of his life in avenue rd, aston.
and died in 1945, while his son, my dad, was serving in north africa. regards paul.

yes barrie, they certainly do. by the way he lived for most of his life in avenue rd, aston.
and died in 1945, while his son, my dad, was serving in north africa. regards paul.

Do you have his WWI details, or are you looking for them?

Barrie.

paul, great photo, they are all wounded and either nursing or family members with them, the "uniform" was known as wounded blues, it was a blue jacket and pants with white on the inside worn with white shirt and either regimental or blue tye.
paul

hello barrie, have no info whatsoever, and would not know where to start.
i have my dads number from his service in the coldstreams, 39/47.

hello barrie, have no info whatsoever, and would not know where to start.
i have my dads number from his service in the coldstreams, 39/47.

Paul. Just give us your Grandad's name, and the site will leap into action.

Barrie.

thanks barrie, his name was harold piper. i've a vague memory of being told his brother died at ypres.

Is this him Paul on the 1919 Electoral Roll

Harold Piper 74 Avenue Road, Aston. 296558, Cpl., C. Sec, R.A.F.

Barrie.

Last edited:
Back