• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Radio Times

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
Ever wonder what was on the telly the day you was born? Now you can find out because they have put all the Radio Times online. It looked a load of rubbish when I was born, good job we did'nt have a telly then.

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/

Terry

Ever wonder what was on the telly the day you was born? Now you can find out because they have put all the Radio Times online. It looked a load of rubbish when I was born, good job we did'nt have a telly then.

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/

Terry

lol terry..but the thing is i bet those who had tv.s in the early days thought it was the best thing since sliced bread..even now i wonder at how we can just plug in and get images on a screen...it was the same when at the age of about 12 our mom and dad bought me a little marconiphone radio and i just couldnt fathom out how the voices got there lol...amazing inventions that we now take for granted..

lyn

lyn

Last edited:
I can remember the first time I saw TV. I would have been about 8 and there was a big (well seemed big to me) show on in Chichester with horses and farm demonstrations etc, and in a tent that was very dark you could go in and just see a small screen with people moving on it. I think it was probably part of The Festival of Britain. Seemed exciting at the time.

lol terry..but the thing is i bet those who had tv.s in the early days thought it was the best thing since sliced bread..even now i wonder at how we can just plug in and get images on a screen...it was the same when at the age of about 12 our mom and dad bought me a little marconiphone radio and i just couldnt fathom out how the voices got there lol...amazing inventions that we now take for granted..

lyn

lyn

My mother and father in the 1950s had a PYE radio and TV. It was one of those where the valves had to warm up before a hazy picture came on, eventually a day later.

Ref ( Post#1 ). Good 'spot ' terryb18. Had a browse through the ' genome ' site that you highlighted and came across a couple of war-time radio programs that as a kid I remember the ' Family ' never missed.
" MARCHING ON " ( Home Service 1940 ) and " INTO BATTLE " ( For the Forces program 1942 ).
I remember these programs because they were reports and stories about the then current situations of the war and I remember that in general they highlighted the Allied Forces progress and the Home Front successes during that period.
What I think I observed at the time was that these broadcasts gave everyone a ' lift ' and helped particularly the ' Home front ' population to ' get on with it ' no matter what they were experiencing at the time.
On reflection, I guess some parts of these programs were ' laced ' with bits of propaganda but ' Blowing your own Trumpet' was needed a bit at this time.
Why not, a bit of good news was always welcome. Good Programs.

I remember an outside broadcast, the first from overseas.
It was of a fashion show on a boat in Paris. Of course it was Black and White and the screen was covered in snow. The picture dropped out very often and when everything was Ok you could see the models doing their stuff.
Don't know when it was but how we take for granted the coverage of the Ashes and such like with only a 3 seconds delay.

Guess we oldies appreciate more what the kids take for granted.
Cheers Tim

Back