• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Query re RWR next to Grandfather's name.

Aussie Rose

Can anyone explain what the letters RWR next to my grandfather's name meant in an absent voters list of 1918? He was an insurance agent and he and my Grandmother were live in caretakers at City Chambers in Broad Street at that time.
Does it mean that he was enlisted in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment at that time as I have never heard of it mentioned in the many stories told to myself and the family from when my Grandfather, Grandmother, Aunt and Father lived in Birmingham before emigrating to Adelaide, South Australia.
I should be glad to hear.
Thank you.

Can anyone explain what the letters RWR next to my grandfather's name meant in an absent voters list of 1918? He was an insurance agent and he and my Grandmother were live in caretakers at City Chambers in Broad Street at that time.
Does it mean that he was enlisted in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment at that time as I have never heard of it mentioned in the many stories told to myself and the family from when my Grandfather, Grandmother, Aunt and Father lived in Birmingham before emigrating to Adelaide, South Australia.
I should be glad to hear.
Thank you.
Welcome Aussie Rose,
Yes, probably. Here's a list of abbreviations.
https://www.researchingww1.co.uk/ww1abbreviations

If you use Ancestry or Find my Past then you could see if he had a service record.

But bear in mind very few WW1 service records survive. Many err destroyed in raids during WW2

About 60% were destroyed so I would say you have been lucky.
For my husband and myself in our families of 4 grandfathers only 1 has surviving records.

Until we can see the entry and do some more digging it is all guesswork. If we have a name we can check the medal rolls as well as the exact entry on the eroll.

In 1911 and 1912 the curators of City Chambers were George and Eliza Sandall but I can't find him on the absent voters list.

Right - I think the address must have changed. 1920 it is 19 but in 1925 it is 319. That confused me.
Still can't find him on Absent voters reg.
Also can't find him on medal rolls etc.

Could just be a big coincidence but a few things appeared to fit.

Harry's wife Rose appears to be listed as a caretaker at chambers on Broad St on the 1921 census, no Harry and they appear to emigrate to South Australia in 1927.

And when I searched the normal ERs for Harry Unitt there seemed to be listings as an absent voter, though looks like a different Harry.

Last edited:
On 1920 eroll Harry Horace and Rose are at 19 City Chambers Broad Street.
The Harry Unitt on the 1918 eroll (at least, the only one I have found - no Horace) is at 43 Hatchett Street and is still there in 1921 but listing is not RWR on absent voters reg.
It might be as he is listed as an insurance agent on their marriage cert but Aussie Rose says she saw it on the absent voters reg

Found 1918 entry - it comes up on Ancestry as a link to Harry Horace but is clearly wrong if followed through.
1691257241390.png

I don't think Harry Horace served.

Back