• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs on the Coventry Road, Small Heath.

skylark

Proud to be a Brummie !!
Help needed please...
Can anyone tell me the names of the pubs along the "Cov" ? 1940's/60's ?
From Green Lane to the bus depot??
I think the one on the corner of Greenway street was the "Oxford", the" Greenway" was near Cattell Road and had the horse trough outside it. There was also the "Coach and Horses" somewhere, plus others I just cannot remember.
HELP!
Thanks, Margaret. :-*

From Green Lane going towards town on the right hand side:

No. 270..(Corner of a little side street called Bowling green Road) Small Heath Tavern ( Also known as the Wrexham, don't know why)

No. 228..(Corner of Greenway Street) Oxford Arms

Nos. 200/202..(Corner of Cattell Road) The Greenway

From Green Lane to the bus depot on the left hand side

No. 325 The Coach and Horses

No. 313 The Old Gate

No. 215 Regent Park Tavern

Heres some you missed, Small Heath Tavern, Regents Park Tavern, Tile Cottage and the Old Gate. O0

Jim, stop picking on poor old Jerry, the only one he might have missed is the Tile Cottage but he thinks that was pre 1940, or somewhere else, or something else, or...Ah to hell with it England won 1-0 so who cares, pass the cough medicine and make sure it's cold ;)

THANK YOU, Jerry and Postie, I grew up near these pubs but never went in them..( I was a good girl)!. We did have our
wedding reception upstairs in the Wrexham though. My thanks again to you. Margaret. :smitten: :smitten:

Coach & Horses, Coventry Rd, Small Heath. Len.

Attachments

• Small Heath Coach & Horses Coventry Rd.jpg
    Small Heath Coach & Horses Coventry Rd.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 76
i was brought up in greenway street and moved away after 10 years then in the mid 1970s had a job of painting the cellar in the oxford arms, i pushed up the ceiling panels and had a hundered years of beer bottles land on me , generations of cellar men having a swifty and hiding the bottles in the ceiling i thought the pub had fell down

wonderful pub story brenn...those old bottles would be worth a bob or two now...

lyn:)

i was brought up in greenway street and moved away after 10 years then in the mid 1970s had a job of painting the cellar in the oxford arms, i pushed up the ceiling panels and had a hundered years of beer bottles land on me , generations of cellar men having a swifty and hiding the bottles in the ceiling i thought the pub had fell down

Oh dear, i used to go in there in the 70's and the landlady was a smashing woman called Bridie, did you know her?. No one would swear as she would shake a swear box in front of you.

my parents had the outdoor on greenway street and we had a big irish man would walk from the oxford down our street to the marquis of lorne and have a pint of aradillo wine from thed wood which was in a plastic bucket on his way thu to have a pint ? match days were great we had an out door full of blues fans and the yard was full of match day coppers

Oh dear, i used to go in there in the 70's and the landlady was a smashing woman called Bridie, did you know her?. No one would swear as she would shake a swear box in front of you.

I used to love the juke box in there and on the odd occasion Bridie would come from behind the bar and put a load of records on for free. There were fairy lights around the bar for the whole year but were just switched on at Christmas. The place was always full of the same charachters but very friendly, i never saw any fisty cuffs if i remember despite this being quite a rough part of town. I miss those days a little.

my parents had the outdoor on greenway street and we had a big irish man would walk from the oxford down our street to the marquis of lorne and have a pint of aradillo wine from thed wood which was in a plastic bucket on his way thu to have a pint ? match days were great we had an out door full of blues fans and the yard was full of match day coppers
This pub is the place be on match days, amazing. Up the Blues....
https://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/26/26500/St_Andrews_Tavern/Small_Heath

I remember that outdoor from the 50s,wood panelling, the big silver till, and for some reason I remember the old picture on the wall, any idea what it was called ?

what years were you there ?

hi len
thanks for that pic i remember the pub
and i could see it in my mind
and i was going to request had any body got the pic
but you have put it up brilliant
have a nice day len ;
best wishes astonian ;;

I used to go to the disco at the small heath tavern on a saturday night around 1977/78.it was rough in there so we didn,t go for long.i seem to remember the name was changed to the wrexham about 1979 as the football team there were called wrexham after the welsh club had a very good run run inthe fa cup that year.

i seem to remember the name was changed to the wrexham about 1979 as the football team there were called wrexham after the welsh club had a very good run run inthe fa cup that year.

It was known as 'The Wrexham' long before the seventies, we knew it as that in the fifties.

Re pubs on the Cov, you'll need to add The Old Lodge which was on the corner of the Cov and Bordesley Park Road. Then nearer Bordesley Station there were two pubs, I might be wrong but I think - The Lamp and The Dolphin...

I think the Clement arms was the next one down from the Dolphin, and the Lamp war round in Bordesley

Nick

Last edited:
Yer dead right Brummie Nick...mind you it's been a long time...when I was there last they still kept a pig in a sty just near the corner of Watery Lane and the Cov...and I ain't been drinking either.

The Swan Hotel, Yardley, not in Small Heath but on the Coventry Rd. Len.

Attachments

• Yardley The Swan Yardley Rd.jpg
    Yardley The Swan Yardley Rd.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 29
hi len
thanks for that pic i remember the pub
and i could see it in my mind
and i was going to request had any body got the pic
but you have put it up brilliant
have a nice day len ;
best wishes astonian ;;
The Coach & Horses pub Coventry Rd, Small Heath. Len.

Coventry Rd pubs that I remember, Small Heath ones at least.

1. The Dolphin
2. The Clements
3. The Brighton Arms
4. The Malt Shovel
5. The Old Gate

Phil

BordesleyDolphinBordesleyCoventryRd.jpg
SmallHeathCementsArmsBordesleyCoventryRd.jpg

SmallHeathCoventryRdBrighton.jpg
SmallHeathTheMaltShovelMuntzSt1971.jpg

SmallHeathOldGateCoventryRd.jpg

A few more,

6. The Greenway
7. The Old Lodge
8. The Tile Cottage
9. The Wrexham.

Phil

SmallHeathTheGreenwayCoventryRd1.jpg
SmallHeathTheOldLodgeCoventryRd.jpg

SmallHeathTileCottageCoventryRd2.jpg
SmallHeathWrexhamCoventryRd-BowlingGreenRd.jpg

these pub pics are fantastic....i had forgot the existence of some of them...but yes i remember them now...well done for posting some fab memories.

does anyone remember the record shop and cafe that was directly opposite coventry road bus depot small heath... I remember when I was a kid my elder brothers would pack me off there to collect the next 'beatle album'and just around the corner on the top of kingston hill there used to be a paper shop ..sure it used to be called shuts and a cafe next to it as well as an old wool shop....does anyone have any pics?..​

Back