• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs Of The Past

The Hope & Anchor was on the corner of Chapel House St & Green St, as seen on the c 1889 map below

map_c_1889_hope___anchor_green_st.jpg

Another oddly named pub, that I never frequented....THE VESPER....but I did frequent and live round the corner from the Dovecote, which took over it's license....and there was a murder not too long ago there....someone walked in and shot a geezer..only I think he shot the wrong bloke!... shiver....not been in since...

Vesper Bell Blythe St 1957.jpg

Does anyone have any information on The Duke pub? It must have been near Gosta Green and according to my diaries I went there many times in the early sixties when I was at Birmingham College of Advanced Technology. Grateful for any help and especially a photograph. Thanks. Dave

Hi farmer Dave

We have had this one on here before now and there was a photo of it as well I know the pub yes it was Costa green
And there was a horse trough in the road from it I used to go there in the fifties
Hope fully our expert Phil might just have one as he is into pubs like me please be patient he will be on sooner or later
Best wishes astonian,,,,,

Does anyone have any information on The Duke pub? It must have been near Gosta Green and according to my diaries I went there many times in the early sixties when I was at Birmingham College of Advanced Technology. Grateful for any help and especially a photograph. Thanks. Dave

Dave,

You can only be talking about the Duke of York, 13 Duke Street, Gosta Green, sorry I have never seen a photo of this pub. I'll have a search and see what I can come up with, but if I don't post one here then I haven't been successful.

Phil
There as been a photo of the duke of Costa green area years back that I can tell you that before they was lost
And there was theflountain in view with it Alan astonian,,,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, im new to this site & was wondering if anyone has a photo of The Friendly Inn pub that was in Chelmsley Wood until it became an old peoples home, if you don't have access to a photo could you suggest a site or post a link as to where i could possibly find a photo. Many thanks :)

nice photo of the flower pot, my dad worked there part time in the mid 60s, we lived over the road in vincent crescent, my dad worked behind the bar but was tee total all his life

Hi,
Can you remind me of the name of the pub that was at the corner of Temple Street and Temple Row. Sort of "Back of Rackhams!" I think the site is now a Premier Inn. It was a "free house" that belonged to Twist organisation who also owned the George on the road between Stonebridge and Balsall Common.

Thanks for that.
I think it may have been revamped as the Nelson bar, but when I used to go in (early 60's) it was The Clarendon. The landlord was Arthur.

The Nelson was on the corner of Temple Row and Bull Street and was bombed out during the war, although it was supposed to be rebuilt I don't think it ever was. It was the Claredon on the corner of Temple Street as can be seen in this photo.

Attachments

• City Temple Row Temple Street.jpg
    City Temple Row Temple Street.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 104
  • City Temple St - Bull St.jpg
    City Temple St - Bull St.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 106
Hi,
Can you remind me of the name of the pub that was at the corner of Temple Street and Temple Row. Sort of "Back of Rackhams!" I think the site is now a Premier Inn. It was a "free house" that belonged to Twist organisation who also owned the George on the road between Stonebridge and Balsall Common.

It was the Clarendon Jim.....my Gt Uncle kept it for a while....

Clarendon Temple Row.jpg John Clark  The Clarendon Narrative.jpg

The Nelson was on the corner of Temple Row and Bull Street, opposite the Minories....until Hitler called....

Nelson  Temple Row 1925.jpg

what an eyesore ! who designed that wants shooting

eric i would say it was a 60s pub which never appealed to me...i only went in there once as it was handy..there were lots of pubs with a similar design...reminds me very much of the shareholders newtown which is near to the bartons arms (now theres a pub) and the king of the road also newtown...king of the road demolished shareholders is now some sort of warehouse i think..

Lyn

If you were in to the music scene, then you would have used the Railway in the late 60's and early 70's as it was the place to see up and coming bands.

Rosie, who keeps "The Bull" in Price St, Also ran "The Woodman" once upon a time.

hi mojorisin woodman was that...i know rose had the village maid in finch road 21 years ago before she took on the bull
lyn

Last edited:
Lyn

If you were in to the music scene, then you would have used the Railway in the late 60's and early 70's as it was the place to see up and coming bands.

Yes indeed.

I used to go there in the mid 70's - some great nights - happy memories.

Back