• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

Thank you so much Phil, a great pic, the only one I found was of it all boarded up.
Which I didn't want at all, I wanted to see it while it was still a pub!
I found a website dedicated to closed up pubs. Quite sad really, I wonder why so many have gone?
I found out the other day the pub at the top of the road I grew up in Coventry had closed, the Pilot, all boarded up and sad :eek:/
Thanks to Stitcher, I know it's a mammoth job, and everyone else who's working on the re-posting of pics!

The Bristol Road Northfield and the pub is The Black Horse in the 1960s.
Hi Sticher,
Browsing through all your Old Pub photos, the Black Horse is one of my favourites - just look at all those windows and the little attic dormers. I had a look on Google's Street View and was amazed to see it looks almost the same today.
oldmohawk
Then
thumb_sss.jpeg

Now
thumb_Black_Horse_Today~0.JPG

Last edited:
I'm not sure, and may be spreading alarm and despondency, but didn't i read that the Black Horse was being renovated or something recently. Some of Googles pictures are a few years old.

Hello oldMowhawk, it is a rather splendid building is'nt it, I worked the door there in the very early sixties and of course in those days it was just another pub. I am glad the pictures give you a little pleasure as you browse through them. I don't know how many more I will find as I look through my papers.
I have just been informed that the Hollybush picture on post 181 is indeed from 1926 so I will edit the post.

I'm not sure, and may be spreading alarm and despondency, but didn't i read that the Black Horse was being renovated or something recently. Some of Googles pictures are a few years old.
Hi Mike - I see the date on the Google image is 2009 so lets hope they have at least left the outside as it is in the pictures.
oldmohawk

If my wife and I go into Bromsgrove for some shopping I will take a detour and have a look as I pass.

This was the police station to which I had to return 6 months after handing a one pound note in, after I found it on the sidewalk walking home from the cinema , which was just down the road ( was it the Ritz ? ).

I was all for keeping it, but my Dad made me hand it in to the PS

And thus are the lessons of life handed down !

I remember the black horse well, as it is tied into my youth somewhat, I used to go to the army cadets on sundays opposite to the black horse and to the northfield baths and would catch the bus back to selly oak from there later went out with my first serious girlfriend Gill Bates and would walk aroud northfield and sometimes call in the "offy" for a vimto and crisps, lovely days.paul

bbvv.jpeg

Two similar images of The Bull's Head in Moseley Village, this one is from 1873 1873.

Image_28229~8.jpg

And this one from 1875.

Hi Stich
I'm still browsing and have been very puzzled these last two nights. I used to play around the Beeches Pub on the Beeches Estate Perry Barr and thought I had never seen it looking like the photo in your post #103 Here
I began to wonder whether my old memory was failing because it was an Ansell's pub - Nut Brown Ale etc.
Anyway, it seems that your photo is of a Beeches Pub that was in Northfield, and the only photo I could find shows a burnt-out shell.
oldmohawk

Beeches Pub Northfield
Beeches_Northfield.jpg

Burnt out shell of Beeches Pub Northfield
beeches.jpg

Beeches Pub Perry Barr
beeches_pub.jpg

Last edited:
oldMowhawk, you are so right and I am sorry for my error. I should have done more checks because like I have already said, some of my papers do not much information on them. You are of course correct and if I do get a photo of The Black Horse, I will get one of the site where The Beeches was as well.

Hi Sticher,
One thing I do remember that used to be on the Perry Barr Beeches Pub were large lanterns like the ones I can see above the central door in your original photo of the Northfield Beeches Pub.
oldmohawk

Hello again oldMowhawk, I spent my entire childhood and youth on the other side of the City, I was born in Acocks Green anf lived there until I got married first time. Then I spent a couple of years in Ladywood then I got divorced and lived in a bed-sitter in Edgebaston. Then the second marriage and I have lived in Quinton since, a little over 40 years now.
I explained that so you would understand that I never visited your side of the city until I was a driver which was around 1960. For that reason I do not know any details about the pubs over there but it seems that a few of them had those lantern type lights.
stitcher.

In the two pictures of the bulls head , although they are taken some time apart , as shown by the alteration of signs on the buildings to the right of it, there is the same rather strange looking horse drawn vehicle in front of thepub. Could it be a form of taxi whose rank was in fron of it?

nbv.jpeg

mikejee, here is another one obviously from a later era but I do not have a date for it. As for the horse drawn carriages in the other two pictures being some form of early passenger transport, I assume you know that there has been a taxi rank on that spot for many years.

Hello again oldMowhawk, I spent my entire childhood and youth on the other side of the City stitcher.
Hello Stitcher,
My childhood was spent on the north side of the city. The only times I can remember going south was being taken on long tram rides to the Lickey Hills and the trams all lined up at the terminus there to take everyone home for tea time.
About pubs, I have never seen a photo of the Perry Beeches Pub in it's early 1940's/1950's days.
oldmohawk

A couple of photos of the Black Horse recently mentioned on this thread.

Phil

Northfield Black Horse 1.jpg

Northfield Black Horse.jpg

Northfield The Black Horse.jpg

Last edited:
Three more Northfield pubs that I used at one time or another many moons ago, I think all three are gone now.

The Travellers Rest
The Bell Inn
King George V

Northield Bristol Rd Travellers Rest.jpg Northfield Bristol Rd The Bell Inn.jpg Northfield King George V .jpg

Last edited:
sdx.jpeg

Nice pics Phil, I assume you know that The George has been a Chinese Restaurant for quite some time now.
stitcher.

Image_28229~11.jpg

Whitehall Road and Soho Road. The Ivy House Hotel, no date I am afraid.

Thanks Dave, I will post them as I come across them during my de-cluttering.

John Lyster was listed in kellys as landlord of the Ivy House from 1884-1892. He is not there 1883 or 1895​

Image_28229~12.jpg

The King's Arms on the corner of Hinckley Street and Suffolk Street in 1907.

mikejee, can I thank you for adding bits of information to some of the images as it may make them more interesting foe some members.

hhh.jpeg

Again I have no information with this but I have been told it could have been near to Hill Street, perhaps mikejee can be a bit more precise.

Hello Carolina and Ingleton, there was a Grehound on Holloway Head but it was not this one, there is a picture of that one earler in this thread. I know it seems strange having two with the same name close together but I have seen it before.

I remember he Greyhound in Holloway Head introduced me to scrumpy - a rough cider, but much cheaper then beer

Back