• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs Of The Past

Part of Weaman St is still there it is down the side of Lloyd House and now turns into Whittall St.Dek

img397.jpg
The function room at the Black Horse in Northfield in 1967.
I put this here because the Black Horse has been discussed quite a bit on previous posts and Graham, (Cadieu) might see someone he recognises because the function is something to do with a local road cycling club.

I came across these next few when I was sorting out some bits yesterday. I have no idea what newspaper they were in or the dates.

Attachments

• img408.jpg
    img408.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 119
Yes it is Viv, before the site was hacked I did post a number of pictures of that area but of course they are gone now. I have not come across them yet so I may not have them any longer as I have been giving my stuff away for some time now.

Thank you so much Trevor, I have been waiting for that pic of the Hunters Moon for ages, since sept 24th 2009 to be exact. Brilliant.

Terry

Copied from an old post

"The Hunters Moon, Hodge Hill Sept 24 2009

Would anyone have a picture of the old Hunters Moon, the one that was there prior to the one that's there now. If I remember correctly the old one burned down. I know there is a pic somewhere because I remember seeing one many years ago, but I can't remember where."

Terry​

Hello Terry, I am sorry it is not a brilliant picture but it is only a scrap of newspaper and I cleaned it up as much as possible with my limited knowledge. I do hope it is some use to you.

img410.jpg
I remember this one because I worked on the door for a short while.

Hello John., as I remember it was quite a nice pub at one time.

Last edited by a moderator:
img409.jpg
I remember this one from my younger days but I never went in the place.

img471.jpg
King's Heath, the corner of Wheeler's Lane and Brook Lane and the pub is The Billesley Arms in 1925

hi stitch
have you any pics of the camp pub ;which is next to triplex glass factory up at kingd norton
just down from there works social club ; that must have been built some years now ;
i passed it this eveng up the lane ; astonian ;;

I don't think I have one Alan but one may turn up as I get through my stuff.

Camp Inn Kingsnorton
campinnkingsnorton.jpg

rfc.jpegDuring the early1840s, the city of Birmingham housed no less than 995 public houses and this one was called 'The Red Lion'.
It was on the corner of Church Street and Bread Street in 1886, in 1897, Bread Street was to become Cornwall Street.

I worked at Triplex Safety Glass from 1968 to 1974 and used The Camp a few times, but preferred the Triplex Social Club.
Triplex was a good company to work for, until they imported a load of so-called 'managers' from Pilkingtons, and then it went downhill....

Big Gee

img565.jpg
Coleshill Street, the Rodney Inn with Holders Concert Hall adjoined in the early 1850s.

I worked at Triplex Safety Glass from 1968 to 1974 and used The Camp a few times, but preferred the Triplex Social Club.
Triplex was a good company to work for, until they imported a load of so-called 'managers' from Pilkingtons, and then it went downhill....

Big Gee

Small world, Big Gee. I worked at Triplex, Kings Norton in '68. I was on a laminated curving furnace.

Small world indeed maypolebaz. I worked at Triplex from 1967 to 1993 originally in R & D and later in the Aircraft and Special Products Division. What's more of a coincidence is that I was married at St Mary's in Sandbach as my wife was born and bred there!

While I was at Triplex there was a fire at the end of the curving shop, where Concorde windscreen sections were stored. The story went that someone on the night shift had gone in there for a smoke and forty winks. I wonder if you remember that ?

That is a coincidence jukebox. Usually, when you mention Sandbach to outsiders you have to follow it with "Junction 17, M6".
What part of the town is your wife from ? We're in Wheelock.

Going back to this problem with The Beeches Public House Great Barr. I think the problem may rise from misinformation again. In Maria Twist's book Aston & Perry Barr in the Images of England series she displays a photo purporting to be The Beeches Great Barr, see the black & white photo. The coloured photo is the true Beeches grabbed from Google.

Phil

Attachments

• Northfield The Beeches.jpg
    Northfield The Beeches.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Great Barr The Beeches .jpg
    Great Barr The Beeches .jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 75
Back