• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Public Graves

W

Wendy

I have been asked for information on Public Graves. I have posted below a brief explanation. We are at the moment having some public graves restored at Key Hill Cemetery I will post some photo's when I have scanned them. This is not an exact expanation I will add more later.
'PAUPER'S GRAVE'
A pauper was a penniless person buried by the Board of Guardians (i.e., at public expense). Any common grave would probably contain some paupers as well as some people whose families had managed to pay for the burial, so there is really no such thing as a 'pauper's grave', and the term is never used officially.

PUBLIC GRAVE
Another type of common grave. The grave was filled up completely after each interment, so that the deepest burial involved most work and cost the largest amount (14s during the nineteenth century). This type was still known as a 'public grave' in 1921.
INSCRIPTION GRAVE
The third type of common grave, this differed from the other two by having a headstone, and seems to have been a local invention, avoiding the 'shame' of an uncommemorated burial. Each stone served two graves (one to the east, one to the west of it), and the inscription gave the names, ages and dates of death of the unrelated dead in the graves. There were also kerbs round the grave. We do not know whether the method of burial inscription grave originally cost £1 1s for adults, half-price for children, so that it soon acquired the unofficial nickname 'guinea grave'. In 1921 a 'guinea grave' cost £2.

Hi Wendy,

Whilst pulling together some info for a proposed 'guide book' to Key Hill Cemetery, I have the following which is specific to Key Hill and complements your data.

I trust this is of use to people.

'PAUPER'S GRAVE'
A pauper was a penniless person buried by the Board of Guardians (at public expense). There are none at Key Hill or Warstone Lane, but there are several at Handsworth Cemetery. They would not usually be put into Public Graves.

PUBLIC GRAVE
Sometimes referred to as Common Graves (which were actually smaller versions). The cheapest grave available in a private cemetery such as Key Hill. The grave (at key Hill) could be as deep as 40’ and covered the area of either 2 or 4 ‘normal’ plots. The standard ‘4 Plot’ Public grave contains between 100 & 230 people, the average being closer to 200. The Grave was temporarily covered with boards or tarpaulins or occasionally a ‘tent like’ structure between burials. Each individual coffin being covered by soil after burial, although concrete was trialled at Key Hill. The grave was usually only open for 3-4 months before being completely full. A separate charge (10 Shillings) was made to engrave the name on the large headstone. Only a minority of people could afford to do this, so there are many more interred than the headstone indicates. In 1894 separate internments were £1 each. These may have been known as ‘Guinea Graves’ when the cost was increased.

COMMON GRAVE
This is a Public Grave but is only one plot in size, and would normally be for 3 people (usually unrelated). The Grave would usually be filled in between burials, and no Headstone would be allowed. However, at Key Hill, because of the sandy ground, these Graves can contain 20 people. They were called Common Graves due to being in ‘Common Occupation’.
A Common Grave (for 3) people cost in 1843 £0 7s 6d per Internment. By 1851Separate Entombments in Catacombs and Graves were advertised at Adults £1 5s 0d, Children £0 15s 0d.

INSCRIPTION GRAVE

Another term for Public Graves, or most likely, an alternate term for Family Graves.

PRIVATE GRAVE
Also called Family Graves. The ‘normal sort of Grave in the Cemetery. They can be double plots or even larger. The Standard 3 person plot cost £2 18s 0d in 1843. They could be deeper than the standard 7’ (a 20’ deep grave cost £5 14s 0d). Larger graves obviously cost more. They could be Brick lined (20’ feet deep cost £14 18s 0d!) with a flat cover stone on top, or vaulted with a brick arched roof with an opening for coffins, covered again by a flat stone. These graves would usually have Headstones, Side Rails, & footers. They could have a monument over them (Obelisk, Cross, Statue, etc). A 7’ x 3’ Gravestone cost between £1 16s 0d and £2 5s 0d. This had risen to a flat cost of £3 10s 0d by 1897.

CATACOMBS VAULTS
The Catacombs are basically private storage rooms, with 4 shelves for individual coffins. The ‘room’ was then bricked up, often with a wall mounted headstone. Private Catacombs originally cost from £25 - £60. Further internments £1 10s, and a stone £2 10s.
In 1882 new Catacombs were created, whereby each coffin was enclosed by a single brick wall, and covered with stone flagging securely cemented to make it airtight. A stout door to be supplied and name, date of death and age of deceased (when ordered) to be in a uniform style. Charges were Children under 4 25s, Children 5-12 £2, Adults £3. Inscriptions 10s
Once the catacomb was completely filled, it would be closed in with a brick wall and the stone door permanently fixed in place. In 1889 prices were amended to 15s, £1, £2 and £4.

VAULTS
There are vaults inside the Catacombs as well as beyond them on the curved section. Single internments in vaults were reduced in 1889 from 15s to 12s and 10s.

Fascinating reading Brian. Thankyou for taking the trouble to post this. Several of my family members in Key Hill and Warstone Lane were in either a Vault or a Public Grave. These have either disappeared without trace or no inscription (as in the case of the Vault). Needless to say, I wasn't born into the Gentry! Your post has clarified the different categories, very useful - thanks again.

Thats a brilliant piece of information Brian because it's specific to Key Hill Cemetery. I would like to save that if it's OK.:)

Thanks for posting that Brian, I found it very interesting because of my Family Graves at Key Hill. I am going to print it and put it in my "family book" if thats ok with you.
Polly :)

My paternal grandfather is buried in Key Hill Cemetery. Interestingly my grandfather is buried with his wife and his mother-in-law! He was the last to be buried. Is this unusual?

Hi stampbuff the burial is not unusual my father in law is buried with his wife and mother in law at Yardley Cemetery. Mostly families of the same name were buried together but also spouses were interred with them also.

Thomas Avery, of the weighing machines / scales fame is in Key Hill buried with his wife and her father. There are occasions when it is useful (and cheaper) to reside with your In Laws ! - Good Business sense - Hopefully they are not getting the usual earache about not being good enough !

I visited Warstone cemetery last week to look for my ancestor Edwin Barker. The kind lady in the Information Centre looked him up for me and he is buried in section B 1793. He died in January 1884. She mentioned he was buried in a public grave and his inscription would have been 2013-01-02 13.47.48.jpg2013-01-02 13.48.35.jpg
added to the communal headstone attached to the wall. Pictures attached.

I have been reading about public graves on your forum - but have not found anything about section B. Please can someone fill in the gaps for me ?

Hi Andrew,

The surving memorial that you have photographed is B 1794. B 1793 would have been to the left of this - you can see the corbals on the wall wher it used to sit.
Many of these have fallen or been pulled off the wall, broken & either burioed where they fell, or removed as scrap in the past.

Very few 'ordinary' working class people could afford to purchase a family grave for their exclusive right, so had to 'rent' a space in a large communal grave.
These could have up to 100+ non related burials, over a period of up to 6 months. Ther are usually wider than nortmal graves - sometimes up to 5 coffins wide, and can be very deep - 40 ft is not uncommon!
There were the most basic & cheap graves that could be had. Having said that, funeral services were still held, and the the bodies were in coffins.

It was an additional cost to have the name inscribed on the memorial. Those who could afford the extra did so, and when the grave was finally full, thye Memorial was cared and installed. On average only 20% of those interred are recorded upon the memorials.
Money was scarce and there were (and still are) other things to spend it on - food, rent, heating, clothing, etc.

Many of the Public Graves from this period were reopened in the 1950's after the Council took over the Cemetery, and the original interments having settled, the graves were 'topped' up with interments of still born & premature death children, and impoverished, elderly people who had passed away in the former Workhouse wards, than in use by the NHS. Again, these were the cheaper, state funded burials in the main. There were no optoons than for memorials.
Modern 'temporary' Grave Markers are available from the Cemeteries, which although usually only for 2 years, have been agreed for this cemetery to be permanent until they disintegrate. Due the the graves being disturbed in the 1950's and than totally neglected, self seed trees sprang up and the graves were overgrown with trees and brambles. Volunteers ahve cut back most of this to enable the graves to be visible and accesible. Further pruning is required when health & weather permits! Many people with relatives in such graves now come and plant spring flowering bulbs in the graves - daffodils, tulips, snowdrops, etc.
These survive the months on being covered by uncollected leaves, and flower and finish before the motor mowers arrive to devaste the area's.

Thanks for your quick and comprehensive reply. We have the receipt for the original funeral in 1884 and it came to £5 including coffin, burial, carriages and headstone inscription. Edwin was a screw maker, lived in Camden Street and died aged about 51. Married, he had 9 children so I can fully understand why money was tight. His widow cashed something akin to a life insurance policy to cover cost of funeral.

Andrew how lovely you still have the recipt for the grave. £5 would have been a small fortune in 1884. He must have had a lot of foresight to have a life insurance policy. I am sure the friends of Key Hill and Warstone Lane cemeteries would love the extra info you have on Edwin.

What a kind gesture Andrew to post this for us I will save it for the "friends" if thats OK.

I found this a really interesting thread, even though asfar as I know none of our rels are in Key Hill or Warstone - but with the size of moms family, haven't ruled it out!
Not so long ago, but we have the receipts and funeral orders for my great gran and grandad and my grandad, will try to scan them just for interest.
Sue

Sue if you want me to do a search when you have a name and rough date let me know. I didn't think I had any buried there now I have found lots.

Thanks Wendy, am just trying to finish of dads family, then will go back to moms, could be interesting as a 2nd cousin has already done the tree, but some of the info doesn't match with what we know, so trying to establish the facts - both of moms grandads married twice!
Sue

Thats one thing I enjoy proving someone has got it wrong pity the certificates are so expensive though! Good luck..x

Hi Wendy

Don't know if I'm on the right thread or not so lease excuse me if I'm not

Saw the work that you and others are doing at Warstone and you all deserve a medal for the effort that you are putting in to clean up Warstone. Was there several years ago when the wife and I went to find her brother who died 1930's grave and we were appaled at the state, but know from the photo's I have seen on this site the change that everyone involved has made to the cemetery. Unfortunately advancing years, distance and health doesn't allow me to get into Birmingham very often. Ypu all desreve a medal.

Can you help. I have a cousin that was buried in Section P, grave 1736, Reg 80793 name William Thrupp died 1915.

is this grave private or public. Is there any photo's of it. If private who else is buried with him.

Alternatively, can you point me in the right direction to get the information.

Kindest regards to all

Bob Brown

Hello Bob, thank you for your kind words but my contribution to the clearing of the cemetery is quite small compared, to Brian and Colin Giles etc. There are many volunteers who come along to help, which has lifted the profile of the cemetery. We still have a problem with empty bottles and cans but often visitors pick them up and put them in bins. The trees look a bit tidier and Brian told me yesterday there were tree surgeons sorting the trees behind where the Mint was, great news.

As far as your burial search I only have the info you have. There doesn't seem to be a memorial so it may be a public grave. Key Hill Brian my have more info. Sadly not a good time of year for photo's the cemetery's are very wet under foot. We may be able to get one when the weather dry's up a bit. Have a look on the Warstone Lane Cemetery thread.

Thanks for that Wendy, didn't expect a reply so quick. Where in Handsworth were you born, I was born in oxhill Rd Handsworth

Kind regards
Bob

Hi Bob,
There are a few Thrupps in WL -
THRUPP
1959 P 1406 105611 Stillborn
Arthur W 1909 K 17 (Vault) 65297
Henry W 1926 D 1358 89638
Rachel 1935 O 1129 94027
Reginald S 1918 K 37 (Vault) 82394
Richard T R 1907 D 1059 62978
William 1915 P 1736 80793

P 1736 is an unmarked Public Grave just behind the Mint - where they are fianlly chopping a few dead trees down, now ewe have cleared all the scrub, brambles and fallen trees - better late than never! Must be because the Mint is now Private Apartments and are moaning about trees possibly falling down onto their nice cars parked below!!!!

I have a pic of the area near by - i'll resize it and post it in a bit

Brian

WL_P1757_Public_Grave_28site_of29.JPG
WL - Site of Public Graves P 1757 Rear & P 1758 foreground. Immediately to the right are P 1735 (rear) & P 1736 (Front).
The tree shown was (yesterday) about to be chopped down and removed - the stumps will remain.
Visible behind are the 4th & 3rd floor apartment windows of the former Birmingham (Heaton) Mint.
Must check they have left our Saw Horse and not taken that away with their felled trees!

Back