• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

pub on smallbrook queensway

hayward

knowlegable brummie
Can someone please help. I remember a pub on Smallbrook queensway from the late 70's. It was i think an ansells pub but i cannot remember its name. if you walked past the wandering minstrel towards hurst st it was on the left right next to where you could look over the railings to the road below.Please someone put me out of my misery and name that pub. I could be wrong but it may have become a Mr Q's later on.:cool:

Trying to recall pubs in that location the minstrel, the jester,

It was the Horse Trader. My mate was the gaffer and my wife worked there as a cleaner. I had quite a few beers in there, mainly when it was empty, hic.

Terry

Dont remember that one, where was it in relation to say la dolce vita, i hate forgetting things :)

Thanks i'm with you now, Lovely shop along there in the 60s lewis separates,thank you

The Jester was on Queensway next to the gates of india restaurant it was my local

I used to go in there late 60s, i always forget the names of these places.

so did i right up to when i came to Australia in 1974

thanks all, it was indeed the horse trader it was one of the first pubs in town i went to as a 16 yr old where you could get served. When word got round that they would serve under age no questions asked we tended to frequent the following pubs in Town around 77 / 78, the sentinentals, The Fillibuster and the Glue Pot later to find notoriety as Sam wellers.

I remember some of those from early 80's,although I was old enough to drink legally always used to get asked for proof excpt in these few, hated it then, but was flattered a few monthsago when a very young barman in our local large pub chain pub i.d'd me - I was out with a group of colleagues celebrating an 18th birthday, my 20 year old daughter got served with no problem and found it hilarious that she had to vouch for my age......

....... and the other image is just so you can identify where .........
Terry

Thanks Terry for the photographs and the memories.

horsetrader_.jpg

My fellow articled clerks and I would often stay in the office for 15 or 20 minutes after 5.30pm on Thursdays and then wander off to the Minstrel to be there for opening time at 6 o'clock.
Long dreary days of assets, balances, audits, carrying this forward and writing that off. Bored by learning, I became a teacher. David :upset:

Last edited:
well if you drank in the jester most friday or Saturday nights i was there

Back