• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pub at 6 Legge Street in 1851?

Frank come

master brummie
Does anyone have any knowledge of a pub at the above address? A relative of mine, Thomas Allen, appears on the 1851 census as being a licensed victualler at this address.

The pub is listed in the 1850 P.O. directory (which would probably refers to 1849) as The White Swan
It was still advertising for staff in 1940

The pub is listed in the 1850 P.O. directory (which would probably refers to 1849) as The White Swan
It was still advertising for staff in 1940
Thanks Mike, I noticed a earlier thread of yours in 2010 that listed the licensees of the Legge Street pub which clarified things for me. It amazes me where you get all this info from. I also noticed someone else with the same interest in 6 Legge Street.
Last year I had a DNA test with Ancestry that resulted in relatives in America and I believe that the lady with the BHF interest in Legge Street is related to the people in the States. She is on Ancestry herself and I have left a message for her to see if its okay to contact the Americans. I will keep you updated.
Regards, Frank

My parents had their wedding reception in the White Swan Legge Street in 1950.
I found this shot and I think it must be Aston Road as Legge Street ran behind it. There's a sign on building that gives direction up the alley to pub. Can anyone confirm this is Aston Road?

Attachments

• Aston Road No 258 - 263 13-9-1961.jpg
    Aston Road No 258 - 263 13-9-1961.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 33
It looks to be the right angle in regards the Aston University (?) buildings behind. 258 & 259 maybe, the rear of the White Swan was directly behind the court that was behind them.

we also have this thread for legge st and i have asked members if they could post any photos they may have

My parents had their wedding reception in the White Swan Legge Street in 1950.
I found this shot and I think it must be Aston Road as Legge Street ran behind it. There's a sign on building that gives direction up the alley to pub. Can anyone confirm this is Aston Road?
The alleyway would have been to the left of no 258 Aston road, 258 is shown in red on the 1950s map. In 1913 no 258 was Edward Branford, painter etc. , which would go with the painted lettering

map 1950s showing 258 Aston Road.jpg

Poster for Sale of Union Works in Legge Street 1929
Source historicengland.org.uk

Attachments

• 67BEED93-82E0-4D92-84E4-E8DEF292C70E.jpeg
    67BEED93-82E0-4D92-84E4-E8DEF292C70E.jpeg
    289.4 KB · Views: 21
Hi there I have found a record of The White Swan, Legge st in Pigot’s Directory 1818-1820 operated by Edward Eberall who married Elizabeth Fulford (c.1795) in 1818. So the pub goes a long way back …

Does anyone have any knowledge of a pub at the above address? A relative of mine, Thomas Allen, appears on the 1851 census as being a licensed victualler at this address.
Hi I have also traced my relative to this pub Ann Allen, I also have American relatives so I am wondering if you are on my family tree

Back