• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pte Charles Houldey Royal Warks

L

Lonnie D54

Looking for details of Pte Charles Houldey, 3/6 Royal Warwickshire Regt.

Regtimental Number believed to be 103246.

He was born in Tipton Oct 1875 and lived at 44 Toll End Rd.

Charles married my Great Gran Phoebe Humphries (nee Hollyhead) in Dec 1915 (I have copy of the marriage certificate) but seperated soon after. Charles died in Australia in 1958.

Any detail on or how to find out about his Army life would be much appreciated by myself and his great neice who is a second generation Aussie.

I am also searching for any details on their children but thats another story.

I can't find mention of him in military records, but:
Births registered in surname Houldey, mother's maiden name Hollyhead:
Phoebe Houldey, 1st quarter 1916 Birmingham vol 6d page 486 - she died same quarter, vol 6d page 348.
Elizabeth Houldey 4th quarter 1918 Birkenhead vol 8a page 711

Welcome to the Veterans UK website - Free Veterans Helpline Give them a call they are very helpful & its freephone 0800 169 22 77, have all the info you have ready if you call. Len.

Last edited:
I can't find mention of him in military records, but:
Births registered in surname Houldey, mother's maiden name Hollyhead:
Phoebe Houldey, 1st quarter 1916 Birmingham vol 6d page 486 - she died same quarter, vol 6d page 348.
Elizabeth Houldey 4th quarter 1918 Birkenhead vol 8a page 711

Many thanks Lloyd and Len,

Could I have Charles Regt No wrong? It only shows his last 4 on the marriage cert, a chap I asked on another website said the likely other two numbers were 10 but could be wrong?

Apparently Elizabeth Houldey turned up at my Aunt's funeral in 1998 but the only person who knew her never mentioned it at the time. I have been trying to trace her ever since I found out she existed but to no avail.

Phoebe (Hollyhead) married Charles assuming her husband John whom she hadn't seen for 7 years was dead but John turned up some time later and Phoebe was charged with bigamy. Phoebe had six children with John Humphries but the only one we could ever trace was my Gran Sarah.

Lloyd, I see you are researching the name Power. My wife's Irish cousin married a Power in Dungarvan and I served with a Scouser called Power too in fact I should be at a reunion with him next week.

All the best

Lonnie D54, In the Army in WW1 if you moved from 1 regiment to another your number changed so he could have had Army numbers 103 & 246, it might help you to contact the Royal Warwickshire Reg website, Len.

On the 'Soldiers died in the great war' list via Ancestry.co.uk there is a Frederick Houldey born Tipton KIA 23 April 1917. His home was Stockton and he was in the Yorkshire Light Infantry. Sounds like a relative?

On the 'Soldiers died in the great war' list via Ancestry.co.uk there is a Frederick Houldey born Tipton KIA 23 April 1917. His home was Stockton and he was in the Yorkshire Light Infantry. Sounds like a relative?

I don't have access to my family tree at present, I believe that Frederick was Charles elder brother and I think his father was a Frederick too. Soon as I can I'll check it out.

Many thanks

Back