• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Prince of Wales Theatre, Broad Street

Eric Gibson

master brummie
This may also interest you theatre researchers, in my mothers box of mementos is a programme for the Prince of Wales Theatre for June 1932. She woud have been in the early stages of her first pregnancy a the time so some special occasion no doubt.

The progamme was priced 4d and had a seal to stop it being resold.

Some of the stuff on offer:

Monday June 13th Birmingham Hospitals Grand Opera Week 'Carmen'.

June 20th 'London's Latest and Greatest Success' Arthur Gibbons presents, 'While Parents Sleep' (In smaller print at the bottom it says "A play for the broad minded".

June 27th 'Below the Surface' The greatest Submarine Play ever produced.

Prices 'including tax' Boxes £10.10s.6d & £3.3s.0d. Dress Circle £1.1s.0d. 12/6 & 10/6. Stalls 10/6 &7/6. Wing Stalls 5/9. Upper Circle 5/3.Pit Stalls 4/9 Unreserved: Pit 3/- Gallery 2/4

There are all the usual adverts for local businesses on the 12 pages, If anyone wishes I'll scan it all and submit it. Eric.

Anybody on here old enough to have been there? Or even worked there?

It was bombed early in World War Two I believe.

My Great uncle was stage manager there some time during the 30s until he died, and my grandfather briefly took over the job until they found somebody else.

My father was meant to start work there aged 14 but it got bombed before he could start!

My mother remembers the Prince of Wales being bombed. She was always surprised travelling into town to work how quickly debis was cleared away each morning

IMGP3266.jpg IMGP3267.jpg
Sorry about the condition,but I hope this is of some interest to you.It was in a box of clippings that i inherited recently.

Back