• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Price family Smethwick

jjuj

master brummie
Hi all, I could do with some help please. I have William Leonard price b 1899 - sometimes Leonard William Price. He married Florence Evelyn Sprigg in 1921 using Leonard as first name. There are 2 sons in the 1939 census @ St George St, Smethwick - Raymond & Reginald. I have 2 birth certs for them Raymond's mother is Florence Sprigg and Reginald's mother is Florence Marian. What I am trying to understand is which Florence is on the 1939 census. This one given year of birth as 14th June 1902. I have found a birth for Florence E Sprigg as 1905
Any help will be appreciated

Florence Evelyn Sprigg was registered Sep qtr 1902 Kings Norton, which ties in with her dob on 1939 register and her death registration.

Now I'm confused - the birth reg shows Raymond with mmn Spree (is this a mistype?) Reginald's definitely shows Marian.
What addresses are on the birth certs? Can we check against the erolls?

There's also a Ronald b1925 with the correct mmn, which makes the other 2 a little more strange.

Reginald's is George street. Raymond's is 5 back of 55 High Park Road Smethwick. Mothers name Spree !!

The next question is - who registered the births and would they have known Florence's maiden name?
Sorry for all the questions but I am just thinking what I would be asking myself if it was my mystery.
Did you know of the two boys prior to seeing the 1939 reg?

Last edited:
William registered them both. On both - William's occupation is a Tube Drawer.
I knew Reginald, but no other family members. All I know is that the family lived in Smethwick. The mother had a shop in the front room of her house in the late 50's I remember

Thanks - William registering makes the surnames even more of a mystery. I can understand (I think) Sprigg/Spree as being a misread of someone's awful writing but have no idea how Marion fits in.
I notice William's occuation had changed by the 1939 register.

Got a little side tracked by the coincidence. It appears that Raymond and Reginald Price were related to Ronald Price, at least on the Sprigg side. They were a generation apart, Ronald would have been Florence Evelyn's 3rd cousin.

Thomas - William - Thomas - Samuel - Florence - Reginald
Thomas - Richard - Thomas - Annie Maria - Ronald

I'm very confused. Trying to match both son's with DNA, as the Sprigg family - Reginald fits in with that - so I don't know where the Marian surname fits in. Maybe someone had a bad day at the office !!

Back