• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Prefabs

Nine of Wake Green Road's 17 prefabs are being restored at the moment. The interiors have been completely stripped out and new foundations have been installed. All the sub-floors have been replaced and the original timber flooring is being replaced with modern equivalent. New fully insulated walls and new interiors walls are to be installed. I'm looking forward to seeing how the work progresses.
If you belong to a Local History Society, U3A group, WI etc you may be interested in the illustrated talk about "Those Damn Tin Cans". More information at: https://outercirclebus.com/the-talks/ it includes photographs of the work in hand.

Nine of Wake Green Road's 17 prefabs are being restored at the moment. The interiors have been completely stripped out and new foundations have been installed. All the sub-floors have been replaced and the original timber flooring is being replaced with modern equivalent. New fully insulated walls and new interiors walls are to be installed. I'm looking forward to seeing how the work progresses.
If you belong to a Local History Society, U3A group, WI etc you may be interested in the illustrated talk about "Those Damn Tin Cans". More information at: https://outercirclebus.com/the-talks/ it includes photographs of the work in hand.
thanks for that info...will check out your link

lyn

Still most of work on the Wake Green Road prefabs is still inside. Gardens looking like building sites with bricks, bags of building materials etc.
However last week I spotted that new picket fences arebeing put up round some of the gardens but inside the security fencing.
prefab fence 2.jpg

Attachments

• prefab fence.jpg
    prefab fence.jpg
    665 KB · Views: 2
thanks for the update jan....at least things are still moving along nicely...it really is nice to see the pre fabs being preserved...i bet there will a rush to live in them as well...

Is that a WW2 Anderson shelter in the front garden ?

Our prefab in West Heath had one just like it, positioned the same, relative to the house. It was a coal shed. I would not be surprised if the corrugated iron sheets were left over from war time bomb shelter construction..

In this photo, part of the coal shed is just visible on the left hand side.

Steve.

Great photo Steve. Looks to have been taken in the 1960s judging by the dresses. We still had the sheets of our Anderson sitting in the garden at that time, but ours wasn't put to any use like yours. I guess the rag and bone man eventually took it away.

Nipper seems to have been enjoying the moment !

my job in the 70s
Great photo Steve. Looks to have been taken in the 1960s judging by the dresses. We still had the sheets of our Anderson sitting in the garden at that time, but ours wasn't put to any use like yours. I guess the rag and bone man eventually took it away.

i demolished loads of rusty shelters in 1970 when i worked for bham council and some tennents were none to happy they used them as sheds

nipper even looked like he was smiling too at the camera:grinning:

Yes, Viv. I'm guessing, around 66/67.

My folks moved in about 1947/8, I think, when the prefabs were built. All of them had the same type of coal shed in the gardens, so they were purpose built.

Nipper was purchased for 6s/6d. :grinning: He was my dog, but belonged to the family.

Steve.

Great photo, NOTSHARP, I can see you were keen gardeners, I remember my mate Paddy Macgill moms, bungalow, on Castle Square, in early 60's, he had a fridge? and bathroom, with central heating? and fitted kitchen ? quite marvelously posh, to my young eyes , most people did't have those things. The Andersons used to be a permanent fixture in many gardens in the 60's, even in ours, and were used as mainly tool sheds, the concrete bunkers for coal were also a normal fixture .

Our prefab in West Heath had one just like it, positioned the same, relative to the house. It was a coal shed. I would not be surprised if the corrugated iron sheets were left over from war time bomb shelter construction..

In this photo, part of the coal shed is just visible on the left hand side.

Steve.
Lovely photo.

Pete, I'll have you know that the picture was taken because we had just returned from a local Bonny Baby competition, where yours truly won first prize. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If memory serves, I seem to recall Mom saying that the event was held at West Heath Hospital.

Steve.
You must have been a beautiful baby
You must have been a wonderful child
When you were only starting to go to school
I bet you drove the little girls wild
And when it came to winning blue ribbons
You must have shown the other kids how
I can see the judges' eyes as they handed you the prize
I bet you made the cutest bow
Oh you must've been a beautiful baby
'Cause baby look at you now

Last edited:
Still lots of work going on at the Wake Green Prefabs but most of it is inside.
Drove by today and took a couple of photos - most of those being worked on have ew woden fencing (I assume it will stay) plus security fencing. They also now have temporary wooden "doors". I drive by quite regularly and there are often delivery wagons dropping off bags of materials which I assume are being used inside.
prefabs 1.jpg

Attachments

• prefabs 2.jpg
    prefabs 2.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 2
Still lots of work going on at the Wake Green Prefabs but most of it is inside.
Drove by today and took a couple of photos - most of those being worked on have ew woden fencing (I assume it will stay) plus security fencing. They also now have temporary wooden "doors". I drive by quite regularly and there are often delivery wagons dropping off bags of materials which I assume are being used inside.
View attachment 190052
thanks for the update and photos jan...all looking good

lyn

Back