• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pre war Motorcycle Clubs

May I ask a question on this thread too. I am researching Ken Miles the racing driver who lived in Sutton Coldfield then Moseley. I am trying to find out which club he was a member of in the late thirties and immediately after the war. He started racing scramble bikes I believe. I know he was a member of SUNBAC, did they have motorcycle events as well as car events? All help gratefully received. Paul

RobertS I was amember of the Mosely and District Club around 1946etc but cannot help you with much of the Prewar stuff.
Eck Hyland was one of the prewar members as was Jumbo Wright. I recall them coming along to the meetings as soon as they were demobbed . There lots of others but I do not recall all of the names Cheers Oldbrummie
Hi I amold Brummiebut now have a new name I contacted theAMCA at Cannock and found out the building they work from is called Hyland House after Eck Hyland

Hi - Does anyone know of any members of the Moseley Motorcycle club members around 1955-60? I am the brother of Brian Harris who was a member then and who knew Brian (Butch) Brown and Tony Jacques - I'm trying to get in touch with them. Tks

Brian I sent a reply by clicking on Reply tsender Windows 8 is new to me so I am not sure if my reply being sent that way but I will look in again Cheers Joe

Joe I seem to recall that reply to sender is on Tablets - If you wish to reply then the button to the bottom right is the way but if a private message then Right Click on the posters name then send a Private message. However I note that both of you have chosen to not receive private messages so will not be able to communicate privately.

RobertS I was amember of the Mosely and District Club around 1946etc but cannot help you with much of the Prewar stuff.
Eck Hyland was one of the prewar members as was Jumbo Wright. I recall them coming along to the meetings as soon as they were demobbed . There lots of others but I do not recall all of the names Cheers Oldbrummie
My father Dennis Chapman, used to motorcycle with Eck Hyland after the war (around early part of the 1950s). They were both members of the Pyramid MCC based in Aston.

One of the oldest clubs was the South Birmingham the HQ was in Greet. I have attached a picture of the Lands End event taken by my Grandfather.
Note : To see the picture click on the header. Lou Dalby.

Medel presented to John Dalby Ex BSA Test 1963.

[ame="[MEDIA=flickr]3anjD8[/MEDIA]"]LANDS END 1919 on Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]
Hi Louis, I think the motorcycle club you mentioned in Greet was the Birmingham Motorcycle Club, its clubhouse was at the end of Colebrook Road. My father Freddy Jennings was an active member and rider, and I used to go down there as a child with my parents. I think it closed down about 1981.

Back